British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Thanks Footyguy - we are on the same page. In my view, SLC 24.9 et seq is based on switching as it was - not as it is now, bearing in mind that 17 day switching is still a voluntary code. It follows that if a fixed tariff ended on, say, 31 March and a consumer initiated a switch on that day then, under the old system, nothing would happen for 14 days. Thereafter, the new supplier would do what it needs to do to initiate a transfer. Presumably, the industry has agreed that this should take no more than 7 days. (Contract End plus 20 days). The consumer then has price protection until the transfer does through (in a reasonable time). Iresa, for example, is not signed up to the 17 day switching code.

Clearly, a possibility exists that a consumer who forgets to initiate a switch within the fixed term contract period can select a 17 day switching supplier at, say, contract end plus day 6, and still end up with consumer tariff protection as the new supplier initiates the switch immediately; i.e., within the cooling off period and the old supplier would be notified of a transfer in progress by Contract End plus 20 days. The E.oN rep confirmed that this was possible and that 'price protection' would be honoured - even if this meant that the change to the standard tariff had to be reversed.

The reason that this is now becoming an issue is down to the fact that prices are rising and consumers are trying to hang on to their old (cheaper) tariffs for longer. This time last year when a cheaper deal came along, people switched as soon as they could. This doesn't however change how SLC 24.9 should be implemented by suppliers.

Morning Hengus and to confirm, from our side, customers changing supplier at the end of fixed term contracts will have their prices protected. Provided, that is, the new supplier applies for the account inside the Price Protection window. As you know, this is open 49 calendar days before a fixed tariff ends until 20 working days after. If we receive notification within this window, prices will be protected up until the supply end date.

In most cases, price protection is applied automatically but there are some switches, usually where we're waiting for information from the new supplier/third party, where these need to be done manually. We've mechanisms in place to flag up these cases.

This is solely how we apply price protection Hengus. In no way would I comment on how another supplier does this. Hope it explains our approach.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,605 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In most cases, price protection is applied automatically but there are some switches, usually where we're waiting for information from the new supplier/third party, where these need to be done manually. We've mechanisms in place to flag up these cases.
    I can confirm that is exactly how it worked for a relative I switched away from an E.On fixed tariff. Her final bill, which ran for two weeks past the end of contract date, was all calculated at the fixed tariff rates. I had to do nothing, it all just happened through the new supplier taking over the service.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    I can confirm that is exactly how it worked for a relative I switched away from an E.On fixed tariff. Her final bill, which ran for two weeks past the end of contract date, was all calculated at the fixed tariff rates. I had to do nothing, it all just happened through the new supplier taking over the service.

Nice one victor2. Glad it all worked as it should've done for your relative. As above, there are exceptions, but these are picked up and done manually. Just takes a bit longer.

Thanks for posting this victor2.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning Hengus and to confirm, from our side, customers changing supplier at the end of fixed term contracts will have their prices protected. Provided, that is, the new supplier applies for the account inside the Price Protection window. As you know, this is open 49 calendar days before a fixed tariff ends until 20 working days after. If we receive notification within this window, prices will be protected up until the supply end date.

This is solely how we apply price protection Hengus. In no way would I comment on how another supplier does this. Hope it explains our approach.

Malc

Thanks Malc. Your response accords with my own experience across a number of suppliers/switches. Clearly, if two of the largest UK energy suppliers can interpret the SLCs that affect switching/transfers in a different way ( and both be correct?), then this shows that the SLCs are not well drafted. Enough said on the subject - me thinks.
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Thanks Malc. Your response accords with my own experience across a number of suppliers/switches. Clearly, if two of the largest UK energy suppliers can interpret the SLCs that affect switching/transfers in a different way ( and both be correct?), then this shows that the SLCs are not well drafted. Enough said on the subject - me thinks.

Happy to help Hengus and glad it was useful.

Malc
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    Phew! Glad that's all sorted. Thanks to Hengus, Footyguy and Matt.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There has been an issue with customers switching away from British Gas fixed rate tariffs (in particular the British Gas collective fixed rate tariff that ended on 28th February 2017) being charged at standard tariff rates for the period after the fixed rate tariff ends.

Provided that British Gas know about the switch within 20 working days of the fixed tariff end date, and the transfer takes place in a reasonable time then it seems to be the case that you should be billed at the fixed tariff rates including the period after the fixed tariff ends.

It appears that British Gas have been billing transferring away customers on their standard tariff after 1st March and because the standard tariff costs more, overbilling appears to be happening.

British Gas now seem to be accepting, in individual cases, that it is against the energy supply license conditions/their own conditions to do this. See this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5603884

Can the British Gas rep Matt please update us on whether it is now British Gas policy to bill as above. Thanks

In the meantime I would suggest anyone who has switched away from the British Gas collective tariff ending 28th February checks their final bills very carefully.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March 2017 at 10:00PM
    Options
    I think maybe the British Gas company rep needs to take himself off for re-education - perhaps that's why he's missing!

It appears to be a deliberate policy to charge the higher rate from 1 March, although that seems to be against the regulations. The customer facing staff don't appear to have a clue about it, the ones to blame are the high-ups at BG.

I am currently dealing with this myself, as just transferred away from them this week. Trying to gather myself up to send them an email, but I am unsure exactly what to quote at them. Can't get into my account properly as it is now closed.

I have had several missed calls this week from an unknown number. On googling, it appears to be outsourced debt collection for BG, probably from a call centre in India. I have been paying regularly monthly by Direct Debit, and they haven't even informed me of the final bill yet!
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Good evening,
    We've had a few posts about fixed term rates continuing past the expiry of the deal, when we’ve have been informed you're switching.

In particular in regards to customers moving away from our Collective Fixed February 2017 tariff.

My understanding is the tariff rates would end on the 28th February as set out in the terms and conditions of the deal.

However I wouldn't want anyone to be charged more than they should be and I've asked our Tariff Team to check this. Please leave this with me and I'll be in touch as soon as I've been able to clarify this with them. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • SammenForLivet2
    SammenForLivet2 Posts: 583 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2017 at 12:30AM
    Options
    My understanding is British Gas will bill on the standard tariff from 01 March 2017, but provided they hear that the customer is leaving within twenty working days of the tariff end date, then they will apply a credit on the final bill to adjust this, to ensure the customer is charged at the discounted tariff rates. However, I believe this is a manual process, picked up and worked on a case by case basis - and not done automatically by default.

I believe this applies to all BG and SE Capped and Fixed tariffs, but I might be wrong.I await with interest Matt's response
    Thank you all for helping me make my day by saving money!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback