British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My understanding is British Gas will bill on the standard tariff from 01 March 2017, but provided they hear that the customer is leaving within twenty working days of the tariff end date, then they will apply a credit on the final bill to adjust this, to ensure the customer is charged at the discounted tariff rates. However, I believe this is a manual process, picked up and worked on a case by case basis - and not done automatically by default.

I believe this applies to all BG and SE Capped and Fixed tariffs, but I might be wrong.I await with interest Matt's response

You need to be careful with your terminology. The Supply Licence Condition (SLC) has nothing to do with 'discounted tariff rates'. The exact words are:

a Domestic Customer will continue to be subject to the same Charges for the Supply of Gas and the same terms and conditions (but not any Termination Fee) that applied to that Fixed Term Supply Contract until the new Fixed Term Supply Contract comes into effect

The SLC applies to all licensed suppliers and all fixed term tariffs.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    edited 27 March 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    Good morning,

I've had an update from our Tariff Team and have to hold my hands up and admit I'd got this totally wrong.

When you're switching from a fixed rate tariff, you will still be charged the same fixed rates as long as your switch is initiated within 20 working days.

On your final bill, you'll notice your tariff will still have changed when it expired; however we'll automatically apply a credit to make up for the difference. This will show on your bill labelled as a Misc Adjustments, along with any other payments you've made.

If you've received your final bill and the credit hasn't been applied, please call our offices on 0800 048 0202 or contact us online at https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-support/ and we'll make sure it's added for you.

I'm sorry for the further confusion I've caused and understand from previous posts there'd also been some confusion with enquiries over the phone. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I've asked for a reminder to be sent around our offices to clarify the fixed rates would continue and how it's applied to final bills. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Matt's response is absolutely right if you intended to stay with BG and took no action to change your supplier. The e-mail that you received from BG is only partially correct in that I believe that the notification of a transfer to a new supplier does not mean that the transfer has to take place within the 20 days. The SLC is as follows:

24.10 This paragraph applies where one of the following conditions are satisfied:
    (a) no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract ends, the licensee receives Notice under the Master Registration Agreement that another Electricity Supplier will begin to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time; and
    (b) another Electricity Supplier begins to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time after the date on which the Notice referred to in sub-paragraph 24.10(a) is given;

One could argue that as suppliers have 35 days under SLCs to transfer a supply, then 35 days might be construed as a reasonable period. I have had a supplier agree that 3 months was reasonable.

I should add that I am not trying to pick a fight with any supplier. Clearly, there is some confusion about switches within BG CS, and it might be helpful if a response was posted that had the full authority of Ofgem's Regulatory compliance team, and then we might all know where we stand. Consumers should not have to read Supply Licences: one would hope, and expect, them to be part of all CS staff training.

Hi Hengus, you were right to be confused as I'd totally got the wrong end of the stick.

I've checked this with our Tariff Team and when you're switching from a fixed rate tariff, you will still be charged the same fixed rates as long as your switch is completed within 20 working days.

On final bills, the tariff will still have changed when it expired; however we'll automatically apply a credit to make up for the difference. This will show on bills labelled as a Misc Adjustments, along with any other payments made.

I've posted a message to confirm I'd got things wrong and appreciate you taking the time to question my understanding of the issue. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Hengus, you were right to be confused as I'd totally got the wrong end of the stick.

I've checked this with our Tariff Team and when you're switching from a fixed rate tariff, you will still be charged the same fixed rates as long as your switch is completed within 20 working days.

On final bills, the tariff will still have changed when it expired; however we'll automatically apply a credit to make up for the difference. This will show on bills labelled as a Misc Adjustments, along with any other payments made.

I've posted a message to confirm I'd got things wrong and appreciate you taking the time to question my understanding of the issue. Thanks, Matt

Matt - good morning. A good try but you have still got it wrong. Please speak to your Regulatory Compliance Team.

The SLC which covers this situation DOES NOT require the transfer of a supply (switch) to take place with 20 days of contract end. The SLC reads:

24.10 This paragraph applies where one of the following conditions are satisfied:

(a) no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract ends, the licensee receives Notice under the Master Registration Agreement that another Electricity Supplier will begin to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises WITHIN A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME;

Put simply. you are the Supplier. The Network advises BG of a transfer in progress at Contract End plus 19 days: SLC 24 kicks in. The customer remains on the previous fixed tariff terms and conditions ( but with no Termination Fee) until the actual transfer takes place.

'Reasonable Period of Time' is not defined (as far as I can see) but, logically, given that suppliers have 21 days to take over a suppliy after the cooling off period has been completed then, in the situation above, the previous tariff protection could be as long as 40 days after contract end. Presumably, from this point onwards the two suppliers start arguing about why the transfer has taken longer than the Supply Licence requires.

If you are now working to the detail of your post, you are going to have some very unhappy customers.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Matt - good morning. A good try but you have still got it wrong. Please speak to your Regulatory Compliance Team.

The SLC which covers this situation DOES NOT require the transfer of a supply (switch) to take place with 20 days of contract end. The SLC reads:

(a) no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the fixed term period of a Fixed Term Supply Contract ends, the licensee receives Notice under the Master Registration Agreement that another Electricity Supplier will begin to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises WITHIN A REASONABLE PERIOD OF TIME;

Put simply. you are the Supplier. The Network advises BG of a transfer in progress at Contract End plus 19 days: SLC 24 kicks in. The customer remains on the previous fixed tariff terms and conditions ( but with no Termination Fee) until the actual transfer takes place.

'Reasonable Period of Time' is not defined (as far as I can see) but, logically, given that suppliers have 21 days to take over a suppliy after the cooling off period has been completed then, in the situation above, the previous tariff protection could be as long as 40 days after contract end. Presumably, from this point onwards the two suppliers start arguing about why the transfer has taken longer than the Supply Licence requires.

If you are now working to the detail of your post, you are going to have some very unhappy customers.

Hi Hengus, you're quite right.
    I should have stated the transfer request needs to be initiated within 20 working days of the tariff ending, rather than being completed within 20 working days. Thanks, Matt
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    My final bills have been issued but there's no miscellaneous adjustment. BG have stated a manual adjustment will be made and a credit issued. I presume this will be a cheque as there's no point having a credit on a closed account.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    Options
    My final bills have been issued but there's no miscellaneous adjustment. BG have stated a manual adjustment will be made and a credit issued. I presume this will be a cheque as there's no point having a credit on a closed account.

Hi Luckwudaveit, any credit left over when your account is closed would be refunded as cheque for you.
    I can chase up the credit they've agreed to add for you; please just email your details to talktous@britishgas.co.uk & include your MSE Forums, along with your username in the subject heading. Thanks, Matt
  • luckwudaveit
    Options
    Thanks, Matt. Email sent.
  • cannedpictures
    Options
    tricked me out of warm homes discount by pretending to loose online application when I switched last nov on MSE advice! Now they have closed the scheme and put up my bills by £10 pcm to meet the short fall
    discrininatory and crooked in equal measure.
  • cannedpictures
    cannedpictures Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 April 2017 at 6:10PM
    Options
    BG overruled the absence of proof that I had recently applied for the warm home discount, agreed that I was elligible and credited my account so I don't have to pay more every month to cover the shortfall considerable relief and gratitude to everyone at BG who helpled out! I
    ts a lesson to make sure you record your application and give plenty time especially if you are a new customer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback