Forum Home» Energy

Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback - Page 15

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

edited 12 September 2017 at 1:10PM in Energy
301 replies 156.7K views

Replies

• Hi all

I know this is all subjective and everyone's experiences are different but I have been an EDF customer since we purchased our flat which is all electric. They have a very good online service which is priority for me as I do most if not all my dealings online with companies. I have had my DD changed from time to time up and down. But have received refunds at the end of the year if I have been paying more then I should.

I think the trick is to keep on top of your meter readings and for this of your arguing the case then demand they send someone out to your premises to take an actual reading. EDF used to do this all the time with me just after I had given my own meter online but I have not seen an actual person for some time now.

I have just joined the energy saving club and it shows that based on my current taffies with EDFBlue+Price Promise January 2017 I could save £137 but my options are going with iSupply or GB for the best savings - none of which looks like they have a good customer service or online service... I really do not want the hassle of switching to a inferior company to only regret it afterwards. I am very hesitant about making the switch although I want to save money?
  • Switched my mum to EDF fixed deal during the summer and their customer service has been fantastic.

After a power cut in our area, the gas meter stopped working and wasn't recording any usage. EDF came out to replace it, but brought an electric meter instead of a gas one! By the time it was repaired, the gas usage had not been monitored for over a month. They never charged us a penny for that time. My mum was thrilled.

Furthermore, they kept her updated about what was happening and when, which was very reassuring for her.
    2019 Wins Worth: £10 £13,000+ Wins Since 2013 ITV Winners Club Member #97
  • I switched to EDF in October. (from OVO)
    I got a quote from a comparison site, but then called EDF because I wanted to know if I could change off economy 7, because I do not save enough from the night rate to cover the higher day rate.
    The first person I spoke to said I would have to contact customer services after I had done the switch. They offered me a different tariff, which was more than I had found, but emphasied it didn't have an exit fee, so I decided to try it, on the basis that I could then leave if they didn't offer me a decent rate after changing.
    I tried contacting customer services once I'd been notified when the switch would take place, but they then said I'd have to wait 28 days (which is actually the time they allow to change a meter, I discovered later).
    I tried again after they asked me for opening meter readings, and I discovered two more problems.. firstly, the web page to enter my readings only had one 'box' to enter an electricity reading, the 'live chat' in the 'contact us' section said 'unavailable' (and has always shown that, since), so I tried the 'email' form, but that didn't work either, so I had to call them. I gave them the readings and explained the problems.
    I asked again about economy 7, and was told I'd have to wait until my account went 'live', but couldn't tell me when that would be, and never notified me, either. They did say that they could just add the day & night readings together, at one rate, but didn't tell me what rate.
    I tried again a week later, and also reported a 'broken link' on the website, which produces a 'page not found' error (still not fixed).
    I got an email response (to my original issue about meter readings, only), and so I replied to the email, and included screen shots to show the other issues, and ask again about economy 7.
    I got an reply, but once again, they only referred to the meter readings and ignored the other issues.
    Today, they actually called me!! I got to speak to a real person! They hadn't seen my latest email, so I've forwarded a copy. I explained (again), and they said they would forward my comments - and, eventually, I discovered their "totalise" option charges you the economy 7 'day' rate for all your electricity!! I tried to explain that this is always bad (for the customer), and said that in that case, I would need to change my meter. They said they would get back to me with a date, but it may not be until after Christmas - so I'll be paying too much for 3 months, because of their delays.
    In summary, DO NOT ACCEPT EDFs "totalise" option if you're on economy 7!! Either stay on E7 (if you use plenty of electricity at night), or change your meter!)
    Once it's been changed, I'll do another comparison, and will have no hesitation on leaving if it's no good.
    by the way, when I went to provide the next set of meter readings, it does show two entry boxes for electricity readings, but does not indicate which is 'day and which is 'night'.. idiots!!
  • savetilibleedsavetilibleed Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    by the way, when I went to provide the next set of meter readings, it does show two entry boxes for electricity readings, but does not indicate which is 'day and which is 'night'.. idiots!!
    This is mine now https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApvURxXz-RrShzOXxbYF8ygCJvLTs!ApvURxXz-RrShzOXxbYF8ygCJvLT. Unhelpfully Register 1 and 2 are transposed. But I can tell which is which from the prev readings.
  • edited 3 December 2016 at 11:02AM
    FedUpWithHikesFedUpWithHikes Forumite
    48 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2016 at 11:02AM
    EDF UPDATE..
    Instead of being told when they would come to swap my meter, I got an email saying I was being swapped onto the standard variable rate! I called (because "Live Chat" was still unavailable), and was told they can't even arrange a meter swap without changing the tariff!! (it's not supposed to happen until after the meter is changed, but who knows?

I called the compliant line and they put me back on the previous tariff and also told me the 'totalise' should use the normal rate, not the higher economy 7 day rate.. but I'm going to have the meter changed anyway - it will help when I next switch.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • preciousillusionspreciousillusions Forumite
    543 posts
    ✭✭
    New to EDF after doing a switchover and applied for the warm home discount as part of the broader group as soon as I had an account number. Has anyone who applied heard anything back yet? I haven't had anything from them at all which has me worried a bit.
  • littlemoneylittlemoney Forumite
    400 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I have just switched away from EDF and my account was in credit. I expected they would credit my bank account as they have the details as I was on a direct debit but they have sent me a cheque. Now I have to make a trip to the bank to pay it in. Not happy.
  • After I got told the previous advice about the totaliser was wrong, and because they are prioritising smart meters I won't have mine changed before January, I emailed EDF to ask if I could be put on the totaliser until the meter is changed.
    I got a letter in the post, acknowledging my request and asking me to arrange a time they could go over a quote with me. I called, and was told they had emailed me too (since the letter arrived 6 days after my email). I said that I had not received it, and so they said they would re-send it. Nothing. The next day I called again, and they said they would send it again, and asked if I had another email address, so they could send a copy there, too. Nothing appeared in Outlook, but the copy did appear on my Android tablet. I checked the other email account using webmail, and there were 3 copies! I contacted the ISP, but they were unable to explain what was different about these 3 messages.
    Eventually I managed to tell EDF I had received the message, and they called me to go through the quote (it seems that the staff have to follow a procedure, equivalent to them filling in an online quote as if you're a new customer, but they have to explain everything - including the small print - and in this case, they couldn't even bring up my current contract for comparison). After more than 2 hours, it appeared as though things had been sorted, but later I got an email confirmation, and on checking, it was going to cost me more than staying on the economy 7 day rate!
    I called again today, and after the usual questions and explanations, they decided that maybe I can go back to the previous tariff, but totalise the electricity and pay the normal day rate. The estimated annual cost was oddly more for my electricity, but less for my gas, so it won't save me as much as it perhaps should, but I'll check again after they change the meter..
    While comparing the details of the new tariff, I also checked my last bill.. the values for the 'day' & 'night' rates, and also the standing charge, were all different to those on the contract!! As they were lower, I won't chase it; I'll see what the next problem is.
    The broken link is still not fixed on their website, but I managed to guess what it should be, and 'found' the page - so I've emailed them the details. Maybe their IT can edit the link in less than 3 months.
    I was also told that the "Live Chat" shows 'unavailable" because it's not compatible with Firefox!! (only took 7 weeks to find out).
    The chances I'll be switching again in January are getting higher every day!
  • preciousillusionspreciousillusions Forumite
    543 posts
    ✭✭
    New to EDF after doing a switchover and applied for the warm home discount as part of the broader group as soon as I had an account number. Has anyone who applied heard anything back yet? I haven't had anything from them at all which has me worried a bit.

Anyone.....?
  • Bark01Bark01 Forumite
    829 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The estimated annual cost was oddly more for my electricity, but less for my gas, so it won't save me as much as it perhaps should, but I'll check again after they change the meter..
    While comparing the details of the new tariff, I also checked my last bill.. the values for the 'day' & 'night' rates, and also the standing charge, were all different to those on the contract!! As they were lower, I won't chase it; I'll see what the next problem is.

Gas prices have been falling whilst electricity costs have been rising, so what your seeing is as expected.

The 'could you pay less' message in the top right on the front page of your bill will tell you if totalising will save you money

The prices shown on your bill are ex VAT, where as the prices shown in the contract will be inc VAT. If the difference you're seeing in the prices is 5% then that's why.