🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

parking a large company vehicle

Options
Hi there

Unsure where to post this,so apologies if its in the wrong place

Right we have someone who does not live on our road, using it to park his oversized company vehicle up on!,it is too big to park down his own drive or in his own cul-de-sac witch is just further down the road

So instead he dumps it on our road, witch is right over the road from my driveway! This has always been the case since we moved in, his old vehicle was not as big so it didn’t really affect us, it was mainly next door it affected when he was backing his estate car out it made it difficult for him to swing out if reversed in!

Anyway us being the newbie to the area I kept stum, anyway in September he proudly brings home something almost the same size as the other truck and half again! (a brand new Mercedes pick up style thing) (his old one was just a smaller transit sized van)

Now this makes is very awquard for us! My partner now wont attempt to get her car off the drive anymore in fear of hitting it! So I have to! But its like a 10 point turn we wouldn’t need to do if it wasn’t there! And frankly I don’t see why we should struggle when he does not even live on our road!

This week has really done it for me!

Having to struggle every day getting the cars on an off slopeing driveway because we cant leave either ou t because the road isn’t then wide enough for passing cars!

Up untill this week I had not aproched him directly as from what I was told by next door who have is he isn’t interested! Anyway I saw him the other morning, and politely asked if he would park somewhere else because its hard to even use our own driveway! He just blanked me completely! didn’t even acknowledge I was there just carried on clearing the snow from it got in and drove off! This really !!!!ed me off!

So if hes going to be like that Im not trying to reason with someone with that attitude

So my question is what would happen if I go direct to his employers about this situation? Would they even be interested? Is there any law somewhere that states someone can only have a company car if they can park the thing without causing anyone else an obstruction etc?

The local council are not interested as we have no parking restrictions in place for our area!, they told me to contact the local police on 101 if I feel that strongly about it! Witch I think the police have better things to deal with than a parking matter so im reluctant to do this! I would rather sort it out with him as adults, I think our nabour does feel a bit intimidated by him hence why he has never properly pursued the matter, this bloke is quite big built and is not the most approachable of people, as iv found out!

I have also had people knocking on my door before now asking for it to be moved! Its not even my truck! Witch again really annoyed me to some woman banging on my door in a rage at 9pm waking our baby up because she had got stuck in her car having to go upto the kerb covered in snow to get round it!

It’s a well known tool/plant hire firm the van is all sign written with a local depots number on! I am going to ring tomorrow and see what they say I think but just wanted some more ammo really so I cant just be fobbed off!

Comments

• paulcarter_2
    Options
    as long as it is taxed and is parked legally i'm not sure what more you can do to be honest. i don't think you're supposed to park vehicles beyond a certain size on the public road overnight like HGVs but this one doesn't sound like it is big enough to qualify

paulcarter
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    If the company operates under an "O" Licence, they may be in breech of that.
    No. Operators of LGVs have an Operator's Licence which entitles them to operate the vehicle on the highway. As part of the Licence requirement the owner must state where their Operating Centre is. An Operating Centre is an off-street location where the vehicle will be garaged at night. This is declared at the time of issuing an Operator's Licence. This does not include such things as overnight stops for long distance journeys where official areas are usually used.

The offence being committed is one of not parking the vehicle overnight in its specified, off street parking area. It is not acceptable to park overnight on the street.

The police will take action, reporting the Operator to the Traffic Commissioner can result in the loss of the licence.
    From http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070829071935AAHWIog

Also check your deeds, there are a lot of estates where parking of marked company vehicles is prohibited in the house deeds
  • needtosavecash
    Options
    yea i had a feeling this could be the case, its just a shame he isnt obv a reasonable enough person to listen to our views and we could amicably come to an arrangement! even if he could park somwhere else at weekend it would be a big help!

i might give it one last shot at trying to catch him this week! perhaps it was the cold that got him off to a bad start last week... (from what others say this isnt case however)
  • needtosavecash
    Options
    ICH thanks for that post! this vehcle certainly is an LGV i known the transit he had would have been 3.5t this is certainly bigger than that so should be classed as an LGV
  • paulcarter_2
    Options
    can you google a picture of something similar?

paulcarter
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    I know it's a bit old school, but had you tried politely speaking to him?

To be fair, I'd almost put money on it being a 3.5 tonne Sprinter. In which case, if it's taxed, he can park it anywhere you can park your car.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • needtosavecash
    Options
    yes, if you read my above posts you will see i have attempted to myself as have next door on more than one ocassion! he just will not aknowlage you atall on the subject or anything for that matter

i am going to try and speak to him again this week,but if i get the same response then fine,i will go to his employers and aproch the subject with them

and you may be right but still common courtesy would not go a miss

i wouldn't park it there and obstruct anyone else! or anywhere where it could obstruct!

im waiting for the day we get an emergency and a fire engine or ambulance cant get past because ofit!, sometimes when other houses get visitors they park outside ours or next door,not realiseing people leave it clear for a reason!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm confused. If cars can't park on the road because they leave it too narrow for vehicles to pass then how can a larger vehicle. If this is the case then contact the police as if in their opinion it's an obstruction they can book for.

Also if it's a working vehicle I assume it's only their evening and weekends?? Why not just park your car in "his" space when he's due to arrive. Get your neighbours to do same and he's stuffed.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • needtosavecash
    Options
    sorry i should have made it clear

the road isnt wide enough for his truck,and then someone to double park across or just off set from it if you like, the road is narrower than it looks and people dont realise it

so will park outside my house say,his truck over the road, then like i had the other week,you get someone coming down who then cant pass so is banging on my door assuming the vehcles are mine! when neither are!

also next door have done this in the past ,but he then put his own personal car in the spot as he moves his truck as soon as he can get it back there! or gets his son to park there so he "saves" his spot
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sorry i should have made it clear

the road isnt wide enough for his truck,and then someone to double park across or just off set from it if you like, the road is narrower than it looks and people dont realise it

so will park outside my house say,his truck over the road, then like i had the other week,you get someone coming down who then cant pass so is banging on my door assuming the vehcles are mine! when neither are!

also next door have done this in the past ,but he then put his own personal car in the spot as he moves his truck as soon as he can get it back there! or gets his son to park there so he "saves" his spot

park in front and behind his son so he can only just get out the space!!! Even when he manages to get his car out there will be no room for his lorry!

Also if he double parks blocking road, take a picture of him arriving to prove he's causing obstruction and ring police. Yes it's craap that police have to deal with parking issues but they are the only people who can enforce it. Else you can ask council for residents only or even yellow lines but that impacts on residents too and there maybe a waiting list.

Personally I would contact his employer.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport