The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 12

Options

Comments

• gwithbag
    gwithbag Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    365days wrote: »
    I think every addict is self medicating.

Phew! I didn't realize trying to keep up with this thread was going to be such a task, but it's good to see all the comments from fellow "battlers".

I've grown to dislike the term "self medicate": I think I heard it first from a mental health professional and it felt like it gave an air of legitimacy to what I was/am doing, and I didn't need any more encouragement!

Also, 365, I'd like to say I appreciate you giving the long-term perspective on the giving-up etc. process and all the useful links. Can I add my, "Good Luck!" for Thursday to the chorus.
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    gwithbag wrote: »
    Phew! I didn't realize trying to keep up with this thread was going to be such a task, but it's good to see all the comments from fellow "battlers".

I've grown to dislike the term "self medicate": I think I heard it first from a mental health professional and it felt like it gave an air of legitimacy to what I was/am doing, and I didn't need any more encouragement!

Also, 365, I'd like to say I appreciate you giving the long-term perspective on the giving-up etc. process and all the useful links. Can I add my, "Good Luck!" for Thursday to the chorus.

Thanks for the good wishes and to everyone...I'm in denial a bit so I'll just pitch up on Thursday morning and they can do what they want!

Interesting perspective re self medicating. I think mental health services in this country are woefully inadequate and there is still a huge stigma around admitting you have a mental heath issue.

For many, who 'have a void' or some other dis ease (Space left on purpose) they find that legal substances 'fill the gap' or make them feel better. Being legal they are socially acceptable.

They then turn to that substance, or different one's, or other behaviours to make them feel better. If they have a predisposition to addiction then obviously they are more vulnerable. There is big debate whether addiction is genetic. There is also argument that while it may not be genetic growing up with a addict can 'make a void' which then needs to be filled. The age old Nature v Nurture debate.

For me, I had to find other ways to make myself feel better. Stopping drinking is just half the story. If you still have a void, you will find other ways to fill it. Like I say I have other addictions, I've just nailed alcohol. My void is getting smaller and smaller, and I have acheived this through counselling and sheer hard work.

I still need to work on my internet addiction!!

To the person who asked why I changed username...I suppose it is because I am a different person now. New person....new name!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got home without stopping :)
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Good Girl!:T
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jo1972 wrote: »
    Got home without stopping :)

Well done jo :T

Fruball - you sound so positive - keep at it. I want it to feel 'normal' to be AF too - and I am getting there but it is a slow journey ;)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    AF #5 for me today :)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sukeyboo wrote: »
    Well done jo :T

Fruball - you sound so positive - keep at it. I want it to feel 'normal' to be AF too - and I am getting there but it is a slow journey ;)

Thank you :) It is one step at a time and I am definitely not *there* yet but adding a few more AF days here and there helps. Once you have more AF days in a month than drinking days, it becomes more 'normal'... if that makes sense. A couple of months ago, 2 days AF in a row was not possible, 3 was beyond my dreams!

I didn't sleep well last night (not many of us are, are we?!) so I am planning on an early night tonight which will help enormously... I would go to bed now if I could :D
  • Green_Karen
    Options
    365days wrote: »
    For me, I had to find other ways to make myself feel better. Stopping drinking is just half the story. If you still have a void, you will find other ways to fill it. Like I say I have other addictions, I've just nailed alcohol. My void is getting smaller and smaller, and I have acheived this through counselling and sheer hard work.

I identify with having other addictions, alcohol was a temporary filler in for me, my real personal devil has always been/always will be food. Funnily enough food didn't bother me last year when I was drinking too much, but now I have regained some control over alcohol, it's back with a vengeance!

It reminds me of an analogy by a teacher friend with an unruly class, she said it was like the fairground game where you belt the heads with a hammer as they jump up, I suppose it can be the same for addictions!

But over a period of 20 years the void has got smaller, almost none existant for some very long spells. Thanks to lots of soul searching, good friends, group therapy and reading I am a very different person.

I have had some recent moments of extreme clarity when I feel I can achieve anything, alcohol or any addiction will kill positive feelings every time for me. On the other hand, it also kills the bad feelings, but what a price to pay!

I want to feel again, to really laugh and cry (and not just out of self pity all the time).

I'd like to fill that void!
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    7/31 AFDs tonight :-)
  • Baileysonice
    Options
    2/15 please shaggy

Just a flying visit. So far so good here and heading for an early night with the duvet for company

Glad you are back on track so quickly Jo :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport