Economy Energy, who are they?

Comments

• big_Daddy_Dave
    big_Daddy_Dave Posts: 284 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2014 at 12:27PM
    yeah i got approached today walking past a shopping mall

didnt explain much

thank God for the internet, wasnt going to go with them anyway as Im happy [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2014 at 12:28PM
    yeah i got approached today walking past a shopping mall

didnt explain much

thank God for the internet, wasnt going to go with them anyway as Im happy [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]

Did they give you details of their tariff?

No point standing in a shopping mall if they didn't have their tariff details available.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Joyful wrote: »
    One of the points they make is no charge for emergency credit on prepay meters. As far as I am aware no companies make a charge for this so their selling tactics seem iffy.

Technically true that there is no charge - but most customers who use emergency credit do face enormous notional charges wherein missed standing charges have to be caught up on when they do restart topping up. Can this not be taken back at 70%? You stick a tenner on after a week on emergency credit - £5 to the emergency, £3.50 to the standing charges arrears and only £1.50 of that tenner is available for power.

If it's a summer period then for a few payments you may only receive £3 of subsequent £10 in usable kWhs. Yup, it's your own fault for not paying attention but it can be irritating. A tariff with no standing charge can seem attractive.
  • smallbiznewbie
    smallbiznewbie Posts: 22
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 May 2014 at 3:50PM
    A young relative of mine, on the dole, was accosted by a rep outside the dole office and signed (naively) - then panicked and told me. I couldn't find anything for 'economy energy' (bad sign) in Google in relation to this company but she later told me the website address - [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] the telephone number on the website didn't work. I contacted CAB (no longer trading standards), explained it all, they said she should contact CAB. She rang back after ringing CAB and told me she had to contact her existing supplier to make sure the cancellation didn't go through.
    Domain name - address withheld, though it is registered to two individuals who claim to be non-trading, (text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Ofgem - visited their website - 100% toothless. It leaves the hard stuff i.e. complaints to CAB. A quote from their site:

'However, we do regularly receive information and data from a variety of sources, including energy companies, the Ombudsman, Citizens Advice, and Consumer Focus about complaint levels, patterns in the nature of complaints and issues of concern. Where appropriate we will consider action against suppliers and network operators in line with our enforcement powers.'

i.e. you can be a complete bucanneer and nothing will happen until the tabloids have had a field day.

(text removed by MSE Forum Team)

A quick Google finds a vacant property with the same number and post code, though understandably (perhaps?) their version of the address looks smarter than the address I found, (text removed by MSE Forum Team).

More info from Companies House, company number 07513319

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/07513319
  • Apparently my daughter was approached in the town center by a rep from this 'company' a while back & liking what she was told, subsequently signed up (wish she'd looked into them 1st!).
    She then wasn't comfortable with things & when her previous supplier contacted her, she requested that she stayed with them. However the transfer had already gone through & was told that Economy Energy had refused the transfer back? She's now misplaced her key & only has minimal emergency credit on her meter. After several attempts at contacting them she finally spoke to someone who called her back & talked her through what to do. They said they'd contacted her nearest outlet & she needed to call in after 10.30am. After visiting the outlet where she was to give a code & collect a replacement key (they didn't have a clue what she was talking about?!) she can now not contact them, the number she originally contacted them on is constantly engaged & has been for hours, the number they rang her from gives an unobtainable ringtone. She's sent emails but had no response & visited other outlets in an attempt to get a replacement key one of which said that she'd try to put it on a British Gas key?? She was then informed that the code she'd been given was for Eon so to try one of their outlets but as of yet she has been unable to....
    If anybody has any advise on this matter it would be greatly appreciated :/ Thanks!!
  • chris1973 wrote: »
    Well its about time somebody did something to offer better tariffs for prepayment customers, over the standard tariffs offered by others,
    About time? Equipower have offered identical tariffs for a DECADE! And no standing charges either.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Debz72 wrote: »
    Apparently my daughter was approached in the town center by a rep from this 'company' a while back & liking what she was told, subsequently signed up (wish she'd looked into them 1st!).
    She then wasn't comfortable with things & when her previous supplier contacted her, she requested that she stayed with them. However the transfer had already gone through & was told that Economy Energy had refused the transfer back? She's now misplaced her key & only has minimal emergency credit on her meter. After several attempts at contacting them she finally spoke to someone who called her back & talked her through what to do. They said they'd contacted her nearest outlet & she needed to call in after 10.30am. After visiting the outlet where she was to give a code & collect a replacement key (they didn't have a clue what she was talking about?!) she can now not contact them, the number she originally contacted them on is constantly engaged & has been for hours, the number they rang her from gives an unobtainable ringtone. She's sent emails but had no response & visited other outlets in an attempt to get a replacement key one of which said that she'd try to put it on a British Gas key?? She was then informed that the code she'd been given was for Eon so to try one of their outlets but as of yet she has been unable to....
    If anybody has any advise on this matter it would be greatly appreciated :/ Thanks!!

Oh goody, perhaps you would be so kind to post details of their tariff in this thread?
  • I could be posting complete poppyco*k because I have no idea how to read a PPM for the tariff. But I am with this company after falling for their "no commitment if you don't want to go with us just don't use our key". And before I knew it I was in a contract and already using them.

From what I can find out I *think* the tariff is 15.34 pence per kwh. Does that sound about right?
    Non-smoker since 05/08/2012
  • PS. If I have posted something completely incorrect if anyone can direct me on how to get it up on my PPM I will be more than happy to go nosey it out for you!
    Non-smoker since 05/08/2012
  • Economy Energy have been my energy supplier since December and I have only had a couple of issues with them eg. fault with my key but they have always been able to sort this on the same day!

When you sign up to have them supply your energy, you need to sign in something like, 4 places? Now I don't know about you guys but would you EVER sign something without READING what you were actually signing for? I sure wouldn't. Hence why I wasn't shocked when I received my key and when they took over my supply.

Nobody forces anybody to sign anything - use your eyes for once, READ WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING FOR!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure