Weekly Spend Challenge W/C 20th January 2013

edited 22 January 2013 at 9:16PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
62 replies 3.7K views
EverTheOptimistEverTheOptimist Forumite
2.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 22 January 2013 at 9:16PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
Hello everyone. Welcome to the Weekly Spend Challenge. This challenge is open to anybody, no matter what financial place they are in.

On this thread please post an amount of money you wish to stay below within the week (Sunday to end of working day on Friday). This can be pennies or thousands it depends on the individual. Then next Saturday report back and pledge for the following week. The challenge runs from Sunday to Friday so we don't include Saturdays but feel free to change the rules to suit you and include Saturdays or start on a different day.

Feel free to update this thread with daily spends if that keeps you on track. We colour code the results as below:

Green - within budget
Red - overbudget
Purple - zero spend
Orange - made money over the week

This is a little bit of fun but for many it highlights the fact that maybe that magazine/chocolate bar isn't needed. Hopefully your spending habits can be changed forever.

Moozie was the founder of this challenge and here is a quote taken from her:

Originally Posted by Moozie:
"Good afternoon lovely DFWs Now for anyone looking in, please feel free to join - the more the merrier! Basically, decide on the amount you want to spend up to from Sunday until the end of the working day on Friday then pledge it here and off we go! The challenge is about incidental spending and not for stuff that should be budgeted elsewhere such as bills, groceries, debt repayment etc but you decide what to include at the end - this is about changing your habits and improving your recording of your spends more than anything else. Have a great week everyone and keep it low!!! Moozie x"

Good Luck Everyone

W/C 13th January 2013 Challengers / Pledges / Total Spent

EverTheOptimist - £75 / £101.55
mandz1 - £30 / £28.60
clairey em - £15 / £0
abundant1972 - £40 / £38.12
Lottie1987 - £70 / £51.74

zaleska3 - £100
E2006 - £30
flyinggiraffe - £35 / £54.40
rising from the ashes - £30 / £35.16
Casperthefriendlyghost - £10
Chris81418 -
Beencounting - £16
Munchin - £30 / £10.67
missmoneysave - £35 / £69.89
katy_ann - £20
Twirly09 - £25
oopsadaisydoddle - £15 / £36.75
Baileys Babe - £20 / £4
DD265 - £15 / £6.50

W/C 20th January 2013 Challengers / Pledges / Total Spent

EverTheOptimist - £100
abundant1972 - £50
flyinggiraffe - £20
Munchin - £30
clairey em - £15
Lottie1987 - £70
Verityemilia - £30
rising from the ashes - £30
Casperthefriendlyghost -
Missmoneysave - £35
DD265 - £15
Skint_Catt - £20
oopsadaisydoddle - £15
Mandz1 - £50
Zaleska3 - £100
Caz_cardiff87 - £20
rellaella - £30
Baileys Babe - £5
SPC 14 Target £200 /
Debt: £11850

Replies

• Another red week for me last week, went over by £26 something, should have expected this as we always spend a fortune on food when hubby is here. Although i did a couple of top up shops cos i never know how much milk etc we will get through.

Not really sure what to set for next week. Hubby at work for a few days and have meals in for just me.

So thinking

Petrol - £25
    Misc - £25 - coffee with friends on sunday, cinema on weds.
    Groceries - £50

Thinking of spending some of my xmas vouchers soon as panicking incase shops go under, although should be ok with Next, John Lewis and Debenhams. But i also like keeping hold and treating myself later in the year.

Have a good week everyone.
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
    Debt: £11850
  • Hi ETO thanks as ever for running the thread and great you're having a lovely time with hubby :D

Another Red for me last week :obut good news is that I did manage to sell something on e*bay last night so £30 to add to the coffers:)

Managed to get the winter tyres on the car today :T (bit of a hairy journey in places as loads of snow) so hopefully they'll make a difference especially as I'm back at work on Monday (typical I've been off for ages & now I'm due back there's loads of snow :eek:)

Thinking about my budget and will post back ......
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Thanks for starting the thread ETO!

I've got £20in my purse so aiming to spend no more than that this week. Payday on Friday too!
  • Skint_CattSkint_Catt Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Hello - please can I be included for starting tomorrow? Really got to start thinking about where my spends go & not just hand over my debit card! I have no plans for this week (stay at home mom), so I should be able to spend under £20 right?! :o

Please put me down for £20 (non) spend until Friday night :)

C xx
  • Yep thanks again for doing the thread :)

Can't believe I managed not to buy anything but taking lunch just means the temptation to buy other things as well as lunch has totally gone.

Yes I'll be trying for no more than £15 although I have a feeling i will go over as I need to buy something for our work do on sat. Going to be attempting to hunt down a bargain!

Good luck all xx
    Full time working mum to 2 boys
    DH Stay at home dad :)
  • Thanks again ETO!

I was red last week too - £36.75/£15.00!!!

I'll aim for £15.00 again this week please.

Good luck to all.x
  • mandz1mandz1 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Thanks for the new thread.
    Last week was green at £28.60

This upcoming week i need to get a new ironing board as mine has broke and need to get a birthday present for my mum (got her a few things already but want to get something else aswell). So budget will be £50 this week please
    PAD Maker
  • edited 20 January 2013 at 12:12AM
    abundant1972abundant1972 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 20 January 2013 at 12:12AM
    Yup - I echo that!!! Thanks for the thread...

New week new start. Resisted doing a massive online shop today - loads of things I use as standard on offer and temptation to by in bulk was huge... Resisted... What does everyone else do if that happens??? It was microwave rice bags that I take to work most days down from £1.59 to 79p!!! Bargain!!! Suppose I should really cook the rice the night maybe, then zap it in the microwave at work...

Anyway - off to bed so catch you tomorrow!!!

:D
    Current Debt = £7144.46 : DFD = Jun 2025 (@ £200 p/m)
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST April: Groceries/Spends: £0.00/£120.00 : NSD = 9/15
    Be kind to myself - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • zaleska3zaleska3 Forumite
    285 Posts
    Thanks for the new thread!!!
    Fresh start for me this week after my crazy week last week. I'm pledging £100 for groceries and general spends.
    Started well yesterday with an Aldi spend of £40. Unfortunately our dog had to go to the vets which cost us £60 but we have a separate account for small vets fees so thank goodness we had some funds available!

So far we've spent £40/£100. Lets see if we can get it right this week!

Hope everyones enjoying the snow :j
    Looking for a fresh start
  • Skint_CattSkint_Catt Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    I have to stay away from eBay! How easy is it not to think where that PayPal money is coming from (i.e. your bank account!) Bought a book for £2.20 not a great start, but it's one tha I hope will motivate me to not spend for weeks to come so a possible investment!

£2.20 down, £17.80 left.

C xx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides