Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did not have a holiday due to debt, but I have plans this year as I am DF. Holidays are essential really aren't they?

I think we forget just how important it is to have free time, away from thinking about daily life and debts. I didn't have 'proper' holidays for years as I used up all my annual leave for my exams and training. I thought once that was sorted and I had the house I would want to spend money and time on the house, and instead I pretty much went 'Yippee that's done then!' and rushed off elsewhere :rotfl:

I have some ideas of plans for early in the year but haven't thought much about later on. I am also seriously wondering about the van question, as it would give so much freedom and make camping a bit less risky - but it would mean going back into debt for it (less of an issue when the debt is sort of secured by relating to something sellable), plus maintenance and storage. Hiring one is just daft as it would cost 10% of the purchase price for one week, which is where this whole question came up again...

Have you ideas of where you want to go, DIA? A vision or Pinterest board might be a nice idea for this :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Re. Camper van... A mate of mine got a former "Welfare Unit" van from a construction company and kitted it out with a folding camper bed. It was already kitted out with a fridge, cooker and microwave all built in. Total cost of buying the van and the minimal conversion was under £10k... so might be worth checking out commercial vehicle sales on the trader sites ;)
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Re. Camper van... A mate of mine got a former "Welfare Unit" van from a construction company and kitted it out with a folding camper bed. It was already kitted out with a fridge, cooker and microwave all built in. Total cost of buying the van and the minimal conversion was under £10k... so might be worth checking out commercial vehicle sales on the trader sites ;)

thanks US, that sounds worth a look :) I am not confident or competent with many practical things so wasn't looking at conversions but I think I could probably manage sticking a folding bed in :)

Rosa xx
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Worth keeping an eye on fleabay too - we got an ancient fibre glass type 4 berth Bedford motorhome for 2.6k a few years ago. She was an end of season, no bids, wine fuelled purchase in the days of plenty. She would be a lot better for a respray and a 'classic' number plate that makes her look classic rather than tired, and some less busy furniture covers but in terms of value 'Bertha' was a great buy.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Thanks folks :)

Spotted an 3bay ad that might be of interest and is near my original home patch, so thinking of sending Mum to have a look. Cheaper than I'd expect for what it seems to be, but then it is winter and as mum said when I asked, 'nobody visits that town without a good reason' :rotfl:

Rosa xx
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I am not confident or competent with many practical things

Unless you practice, how could you expect yourself to be?
    mum said when I asked, 'nobody visits that town without a good reason' :rotfl:

That's not narrowing it down... :rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Unless you practice, how could you expect yourself to be?

Well, we're back at the 'things I would do very rarely and probably not very well the first time'. I've no intention of making a habit of doing up campervans.

ZTD wrote: »
    That's not narrowing it down... :rotfl:

:rotfl:

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Yay hurrah for MSE :T:money::T:j

£250 easy money aka tax free switching incentive just landed in my account, woop woop :D

New CC arrived and already used, will be getting me money off the Wa1tro5e shop :D

ShopNScan already up to another £10, though am leaving it there in case I decide to go for the £25 TK Ma77 voucher instead of the usual 4maz0n.

My life would be such a mess without this place :eek: :T:D:D

Rosa xx
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Rosa,

I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I haven't caught up on much with other diaries yet, but am planning a nice quiet evening reading of all the antics I've missed.

I hope all is well with you.

MTxx
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rosa if HMRC didn't give you sufficient notice of their requirement for you to fill in a SA form then absolutely appeal any charges they might make! For next year bear in mind that the SA form usually opens for completion any time from around 10th April and there isn't generally a lot of benefit to leaving it to do later.

Camper van plans sound fab too - looking forward to seeing how that unfolds! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills