Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All shuffles done and OK if not quite as flush as I'd hoped - I found a couple of invoices I'd forgotten about :o and my professional insurance renewal which I'd also forgotten about :o - still, all sorted now. And considering it's January I think that went reasonably well :rotfl:

PPI-ish letters sent, and final requirement definitely completed for switching bonus so that should happen soon. M&S account is topping up my gift card as promised, so that's free chocolate or ready meals every month :T. Home insurance done - declined renewal and went via cashback site instead, and also increased the voluntary excess, so that has saved about £70 and should net a further £15. Also confirmed that the personal possessions covers phone and laptop so think I will cancel the separate insurance for those - that should save about £20 a month. Both currently have immediate replacement type policies but I'm not sure they're really worth it and the phone contract expires soon anyway, so it can move to a SIM only deal and if I needed to replace it, would probably be cheapest to do via another contract.

Mileage and expenses still to be sorted, but that should put about £150 back in the pot which will give a bit more leeway this month. Realised I also forgot to send the mortgage overpayment earlier this month, so think I will also put that back in the pot. And scanning points on track for the usual £10 4maz0n voucher about every month.

Now onto last study module and rather pleased about it... a few more weeks to get to end of current goals and then it will be time for a new and somewhat different set, which will include exercise! I'm already in discussion about lessons for one thing and looking to find time to check out a class for another :D . Plus soon it will be time to plan some escapes northwards :j

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Also, chased up slightly-more-ethical CC application as I could see the search recorded on my credit file, but hadn't received a response to it. Apparently it was accepted but I had somehow not processed accepting the T&Cs, which confused the system - now sorted and it is on its way :)

I'm making headway with a lot of admin **ite and hoping to have things clearer for the next couple of weeks. One more email to send but it is probably going to have to wait til tomorrow as I've decided I want an early night!

Rosa xx
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    All shuffles done and OK if not quite as flush as I'd hoped

Isn't that most people?
    M&S account is topping up my gift card as promised, so that's [STRIKE]free chocolate or ready meals every[/STRIKE] super healthy eating all month :T.

Fixed it for you... :p
    Realised I also forgot to send the mortgage overpayment earlier this month, so think I will also put that back in the pot.

Probably a good idea if things are feeling tight.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Annoyed with myself :mad: (where did the facepalm emoji go)?

A while ago I checked whether I could insure the mobile and laptop more cheaply than I already had - and couldn't. Then when I renewed the home insurance a couple of days ago, I checked if they are covered under personal possessions - they are.

So today I dug out the documents for the phone - which offers repair, not necessarily replacement, and doesn't say anything about replacing it within a specific timescale, which was my reason for taking it out - I thought this meant I could sort it with the provider in a day or so. At £12 a month, unimpressed.

Then I found the documents for the laptop, which I thought meant it was covered when away from home and similarly rapidly replaced. It's not - it's a *****ng care plan which means they will repair it and replace if not possible. Since I have a relative who repairs such things for a living, a total waste of £8.50 a month. Now there was a lot going on when I sorted both of these things, but there's a lesson for me and for anyone else reading - even if you take it out at the time, put it aside for review when you do have some brain space. If I'd got these documents out when I was checking costs last time, instead of relying on why I thought I'd got them, I'd have saved myself well over £100.

:mad:

Cancellation phone calls happening tomorrow :mad:

Lesson learned... *breathe*

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Rosa.

Easily done and I was also under the impression that it would have been replace and not
    just repair in those situations. I came could of this with my phone too. I got a replacement in the end but in the past it would have been a no quibble replacement not just sending it away for repair.

At least you know now, as you say, lesson learned

Never mind. Relax and enjoy the rest of your evening :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Rosa.

Easily done and I was also under the impression that it would have been replace and not
    just repair in those situations. I came could of this with my phone too. I got a replacement in the end but in the past it would have been a no quibble replacement not just sending it away for repair.

At least you know now, as you say, lesson learned

Never mind. Relax and enjoy the rest of your evening :)

Thanks DIA, I have calmed down now :)
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Grrr - yes, irritating when that happens, and let's face it most of us have been there about something along those lines at some point! as you say though - learn lesson, move on!

Chuckling at Z's rewording of your earlier post though! :p
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Letter from tax people informing me that I will have a self assessment to fill in sometime before the 15th, but unfortunately also noting that the amounts in it will be due as of today. I'd have got my butt in gear sooner if I'd known it was a £10/day additional charge, since that means if I get late charges this could go up to £250. :mad: No mention of charges in the letter, but they wouldn't would they?

Lesson also learned... :(:mad: though quite a lot of :mad: since if they'd given me the right answers in the 3 phone calls this wouldn't have happened, and I am making their job easier by doing the right thing...

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Shuffle done and all looking ok for Feb.

Things are a bit tighter than originally expected as I have shelled out for a hotel the night before a job interview, but I decided I'd rather do that than stress over getting there.

HMRC things in progress, and new CC received. With a limit over double what I requested :mad: . Will think about that and maybe cut it down. Switching bonus and extra contract payment are both due this month so hoping to have a bit left over to start up the holiday fund again. Just been debating whether a small camper van would be worth it as thinking of several trips this year where having accommodation and being able to sort my own food would really help (the gluten free thing is rather more of an issue in areas with less restaurants and supermarkets). Hmmm...

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea to have a hotel the night before. Much less stressful.

Your holiday plans are taking shape :)

I did not have a holiday due to debt, but I have plans this year as I am DF. Holidays are essential really aren't they?

Happy Sunday :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family