Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well everybody liked the house so I'll talk to the agent tomorrow about an offer. Though it's just occurred to me I need to find out if there are tax implications about the deposit money coming from family, so will also call both the mortgage brokers I already spoke to and the local one the agent recommended. If it turns out that would be a cost then I may need to find out if there are ways round it, even if that means waiting on buying.

Sunday shuffle all done and looking OK. Pleased to note that my 5hopN5can vouchers are about covering my Kindle purchases at present - they won't always but it's nice to feel that's a treat rather than a spend. I'm also still buying less food, as I'm stocking up less, so that cost has gone down.

So happily plodding at present :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Tinkerbelle2000
    Options
    Hi Rosa. How exciting about the house, seems we all might be moving in the near future.

Don't take my word for it but I think if the money is gifted then there should be no tax implications.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Hi Rosa. How exciting about the house, seems we all might be moving in the near future.

Don't take my word for it but I think if the money is gifted then there should be no tax implications.

Tink xx

Thanks Tink

I haven't been able to find anything on a quick search of the site, so I'm hoping so. I guess tax would have been paid when it was earned, so for someone to pay again on receipt would be taxing twice.

Never had to think about it before, perhaps it's another example of how much easier it is to make and keep money when you have money! :/

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    An offer on a house and you call that plodding? I call that exciting and dynamic :)
    I hope it goes well.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Thank you DIA

Accountant friend has just texted me back and confirmed no tax on gifted money :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    You're right, it is exciting :)

I am not at all sure they will accept the offer, as I won't be offering the asking price, but even if this house doesn't happen I have found a good place to keep looking.

Rosa xx
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't been able to find anything on a quick search of the site, so I'm hoping so. I guess tax would have been paid when it was earned, so for someone to pay again on receipt would be taxing twice.

It is. But did you know you pay VAT on fuel duty?

It would be subject to Inheritance Tax if the giver died within 7 years, but I guess we're not talking those kinds of sums.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    The one thing to know about a gifted deposit is that the mortgage company will require a letter signed by the donee stating that it IS a gift, and that they do not expect nor will receive any rights over the property. I'm guessing your mortgage broker may already have mentioned that though. If I would you I would ask the solicitor to draft the wording to you so that you can get that in place as early as you can, as sometimes delays on things like that can delay the release of funds for completion.

Such an exciting time - and you never know with offers, sometimes you get someone at just the right point, when they have decided that they need to get things moving, or have even seen the perfect place to move to themselves, so need to get their own place sold! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    It is. But did you know you pay VAT on fuel duty?

It would be subject to Inheritance Tax if the giver died within 7 years, but I guess we're not talking those kinds of sums.

Thanks Z

I really hope the inheritance thing won't be an issue!
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    The one thing to know about a gifted deposit is that the mortgage company will require a letter signed by the donee stating that it IS a gift, and that they do not expect nor will receive any rights over the property. I'm guessing your mortgage broker may already have mentioned that though. If I would you I would ask the solicitor to draft the wording to you so that you can get that in place as early as you can, as sometimes delays on things like that can delay the release of funds for completion.

Such an exciting time - and you never know with offers, sometimes you get someone at just the right point, when they have decided that they need to get things moving, or have even seen the perfect place to move to themselves, so need to get their own place sold! :T

Thanks EH

It had been mentioned that a statement was needed to prove it was a gift, and I've already made the giver aware of that. Great idea to get the wording agreed early.

I have been messing with Excel to see what costs would be like and am pleased to find that I should still have a little leeway even with the additional mortgage costs. The council tax would be a whole extra £4 a month :rotfl: , despite going from 1 bed flat to 3 bed house, which just proves again how bonkers this area is. I will need to be careful about furnishing though and intend to do this over time, perhaps with some secondhand bargain hunting and finally making use of the sewing machine!

We'll find out more tomorrow!

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills