MSE News: HMV administration Q&A: gift card, refund and job rights

Options

Comments

• e3sjl
    Options
    DOes anyone know when the last day for selling gift cards was?? My cousin bought my boys a £10 gift card each for their birthdays today...they only bought them at 11.30am on Monday 14th Jan....surely HMV knew at that time they would not honour it?? Anything I can do???
  • FranLambert
    Options
    Hi all,

I started the below petition on the change.org website after hearing lots of people in my office talking about the unfortunate situation with HMV vouchers – please do sign it and share it with others that have been affected / who simply think it’s unreasonable:

change.org/hmvvouchers

I admit that the worst repercussion of HMV’s financial position is the thousands of people who will lose their jobs, but at least this petition might help to draw Deloitte (the administrators)'s attention to the many indignant people out there who have lost money.

Thanks and have a good day!
  • harmony1984
    Options
    Gueld wrote: »
    Paper vouchers from the years when HMV and Waterstones were same company should be okay at Waterstones. Electronic vouchers (plastic) were never available to use in both stores.
    Hi, no, as of Tues 14th Jan Waterstones also will no longer accept the paper vouchers (you're right, they never did accept the plastic gift cards) as HMV are under the administrator's control. Hope this helps.
  • I returned a tablet late dec that was originally bought in dec 2011 using a vanquis credit card and I was issued with a gift card for the value as it was faulty...do I have any recourse with vanquish after this amount of time or am I just in the queue with everyone else?
  • sean.ellingham
    Options
    Managed to get through to Deloitte's helpline just now to enquire about a pre-order I placed online earlier this year (so I could cancel it now the website is gone), and was told that all unfulfilled orders and pre-orders have already been cancelled when Deloitte's were brought in. I was also told that it was unlikely that any email notifications of this had been sent out to those who had outstanding orders, which is a bit annoying.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

I started the below petition on the change.org website after hearing lots of people in my office talking about the unfortunate situation with HMV vouchers – please do sign it and share it with others that have been affected / who simply think it’s unreasonable:

change.org/hmvvouchers

I admit that the worst repercussion of HMV’s financial position is the thousands of people who will lose their jobs, but at least this petition might help to draw Deloitte (the administrators)'s attention to the many indignant people out there who have lost money.

Thanks and have a good day!

Deloitte are well aware that there are many people who have lost money because they own HMV vouchers - there really is no need to draw their attention to it.
    I returned a tablet late dec that was originally bought in dec 2011 using a vanquis credit card and I was issued with a gift card for the value as it was faulty...do I have any recourse with vanquish after this amount of time or am I just in the queue with everyone else?

You accepted the gift card so Vanquis no longer have anything to do with it.
  • princedraven
    Options
    ^ I would disagree, surely the larger the public outcry the more chance that they will back down to protect the HMV brand...
  • Jasminpanda
    Options
    You haven't paid for the goods.

Technically, you have. The person who has bought the gift card has given the money to hmv and the money sort of bounces back to you. Think of it as a cheque. You'd be outraged if a bank stop accepting cheques. I see this just like that.
  • Jasminpanda
    Options
    Is it legal for them to have been selling the gift cards if they have known they are going bust for a while...? And shouldn't the staff tell you to use them quickly when you purchase one, especially within a month of them closing down
  • Redcase
    Redcase Posts: 107 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2013 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Slightly off the topic of giftcards,i just got an email from hmv about an out of stock item with the usual option to cancel.Went straight to the site to see if it might have been back up and could access my account but no joy.Are there any other people still getting emails from them?

I know i could try phoning to cancel but the dvd was cheap so will just wait and see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure