MSE News: HMV administration Q&A: gift card, refund and job rights

Options

Comments

• JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ITV News Channel TV ‏@itvchanneltv
    The Guernsey branch of HMV are now accepting gift vouchers until further notice. We will keep you updated.
    7:30 AM - 16 Jan 13

ITV News Channel TV ‏@itvchanneltv
    The Jersey branch of HMV are NOT however accepting gift vouchers. We will keep you updated.
    7:40 AM - 16 Jan 13
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HMV Guernsey Ltd are not in administration, I guess because that company used to run the online operation they are isolated enough. If they had been part of HMV PLC then I don't think they could have used the VAT loophole while it existed.
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you hold a large amount of HMV vouchers may be worth taking a trip to Guernsey to cash them in ;)
  • blinxster
    blinxster Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 January 2013 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Hi all.

Ok I think I'm sc**wed here but not sure.

8 days ago I purchsed two lots of £120 vouchers from SVM as they were offering them at a 20% discount price.
    So £240 got me £300 HMV vouchers

I cant post with the link as a new user.

I received this yesterday:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your query regarding HMV recently being placed into administration.

At this time we are aware that HMV are not accepting gift cards or vouchers in store, but the e-code is currently still redeemable online.

It is unclear at present if the administrators will allow gift card use in the future as it continues to trade. If the administrators do not accept gift cards we urge you to contact HMV customer care and register your complaints at 0845 901 1122. This number will also be useful to gain updates on the acceptance of HMV gift cards

SVM are unable to accept any liability for losses, If you have any questions or feel that SVM customer care can aid you any further please contact us on [EMAIL="customercare@svmcards.co.uk"]customercare@svmcards.co.uk[/EMAIL].

SVM seem to be linked to American Express.
    But my concern is that they act as a third party.
    I see no mention of a 7 day dsr rule.

Will the credit card company be the first port of call?
    Will they argue that SVM are the company I purchased from and they are not bust?
  • Gueld
    Gueld Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    I_M_S wrote: »
    A bit of good news for those of you who are in or near Nottingham,
    The Pit & Pendulum pub have just posted this on their facebook page.

Have you got an HMV Gift Card? Bring it to us show us and we will give you £5 off your total Food and Drink bill when you spend £10 or more

They are listed under Pit & Pendulum (Nottingham).

I have no affiliation with them by the way, just love going there when in Nottingham as its done up in a old / gothic style, the toilets are even behind a bookcase.

Do they take the vouchers from you? If so, be careful as HMV might be able to accept vouchers again as Comet did when they were in administration.
  • no1wf
    no1wf Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    We have had HMV points tallying up on the card for yonks and I don't think the OH ever used them. Since the site is down I don't think there's any way of checking how many we have. We're going to the one in Wrexham tomorrow to see if we can check there. Once we find out is there anyone we can write to/email to try and get money back or something?
    :dance: Best Wins:
    Blu-ray player & B2TF Blu-ray trilogy tin
    2 x Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert tickets
  • jpwjpw
    jpwjpw Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    blinxster wrote: »
    Hi all.

Ok I think I'm sc**wed here but not sure.

8 days ago I purchsed two lots of £120 vouchers from SVM as they were offering them at a 20% discount price.
    So £240 got me £300 HMV vouchers

I cant post with the link as a new user.

I received this yesterday:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your query regarding HMV recently being placed into administration.

At this time we are aware that HMV are not accepting gift cards or vouchers in store, but the e-code is currently still redeemable online.

It is unclear at present if the administrators will allow gift card use in the future as it continues to trade. If the administrators do not accept gift cards we urge you to contact HMV customer care and register your complaints at 0845 901 1122. This number will also be useful to gain updates on the acceptance of HMV gift cards

SVM are unable to accept any liability for losses, If you have any questions or feel that SVM customer care can aid you any further please contact us on [EMAIL="customercare@svmcards.co.uk"]customercare@svmcards.co.uk[/EMAIL].

SVM seem to be linked to American Express.
    But my concern is that they act as a third party.
    I see no mention of a 7 day dsr rule.

Will the credit card company be the first port of call?
    Will they argue that SVM are the company I purchased from and they are not bust?

I'd raise the issue with Amex and point out that it was an Amex promo and so they should either refund out of goodwill, or issue a chargeback.
  • antispam246
    Options
    More questions like everyone else. I reads the post but need clarification.

1) I had about £24 as e-credit on the online website, is this treated the same as gift card / vouchers? As it's coined differently, I think it was called "e-credit/balance" something like that can't check now, in the event I'll never get to spend it, can I reclaim it under different terms or will it be treated exactly as gift vouchers?

2) I checked out all my pure HMV points 3 days ago, when I caught wind of this. Purchased 2 x £20 voucher and 1 £2, these go straight onto the pure hmv card. Will this still be redeemable in shops? If the pure hmv system is still operating them supposedly any purchase I make using my pure hmv card will automatically deduct those vouchers.

3) Leisure vouchers? These are/were usable at HMV, I'm assuming they won't be now, unless anyone has successfully used them? Will they be treated just as "HMV" vouchers? At least I can use them elsewhere, down to about £120 left of leisure vouchers.

4) HMV Tax free? Will HMV stores airside in airports (duty free) be treated any differently? I work in an airport so I'm wondering if I can take advantage of this and not loose out, will find out when I'm back to work in couple of days.
  • purpledonkey
    purpledonkey Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2013 at 10:46AM
    Options
    I would be incredibly hacked off if I had that amount and they had refused to take the voucher in store, but please bear in mind it's not the fault of the staff, it's a situation beyond their control. I have a friend who works for HMV and he's been describing to me how irate people have become over not being able to use vouchers to the point of people walking out with items. He completely gets why, but wishes they would understand if he can't stop them/is seen to be allowing them to walk out with the items, that is grounds for him to be fired for gross misconduct. Just keep that in mind.
    'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'
  • thecubicrube
    thecubicrube Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 17 January 2013 at 10:46AM
    Options
    I was HMV on Tuesday lunchtime just prior to Deloitte actually taking over the business. Several customers were complaining about their gift cards being refused. The police were called and they told the customers that it was a civil dispute between the gift card holder and HMV.. The police asked for a manager to come to the till. After a conversation between a police officer and the manager which I was not party to, the manger agreed to accept the gft cards in exchange for goods. She said because the cards and vouchers would no longer go through the tills the customers could leave their vouchers with their name and address and the price tag from the items chosen. The security tags were de-activated by a member of staff and the goods were handed to the customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure