MSE News: BT app to cut mobile costs abroad

in Mobiles
25 replies 4.5K views

Replies

• RednaxRednax Forumite
    32 Posts
    Will two of these SmartTalk calls count as the 2 I need to make every month for the Line Rental Saver?

Saves me buying a home phone just to make the 2 'required' calls a month if so....
  • edited 15 January 2013 at 6:17PM
    billsavingsbillsavings Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2013 at 6:17PM
    Rednax wrote: »
    Will two of these SmartTalk calls count as the 2 I need to make every month for the Line Rental Saver?

Saves me buying a home phone just to make the 2 'required' calls a month if so....

Good question for the BT Rep !!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=687371
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    23n1th wrote: »
    So basically BT provide a crippled Skype clone???

Although from the users conceptual viewpoint it's similar to Skype in function, it's a different protocol and not crippled or inferior.

Moreover, the main point of this is to use already inclusive calls on your landline deal at no extra charge, whereas Skype charges you money for calls to phone numbers.
  • MillicentBystanderMillicentBystander Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    redux wrote: »
    Although from the users conceptual viewpoint it's similar to Skype in function, it's a different protocol and not crippled or inferior.

Moreover, the main point of this is to use already inclusive calls on your landline deal at no extra charge, whereas Skype charges you money for calls to phone numbers.

Indeed.......
  • suwintersuwinter Forumite
    14 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    So basically BT provide a crippled Skype clone???

I have to agree with gjchester good way of increasing those roaming charges for 3G data.

Surely, there can't be anyone who leaves their 3G on when abroad??? :eek:
  • icic Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...good way of increasing those roaming charges for 3G data.
    +1

I'm surprised this gets such a light mention in the article. I'm sure if the article was about Ryanair's own phone app, it'd be a bit more damning on the real costs.
  • Er, slightly confused.... I have a BT landline for my calls (and Broadband). My BT contract does not seem to include any reference to "free (included) minutes". However, I CAN make free UK calls as part of the AnyTime options that I have within my BT contract. Am I missing something here????
    I think of myself as reasonably savvy on call costs from abroad - e.g.
    a) I use Facetime and Skype via Wifi (i.e for free) when the person I am calling is also using these products and is available on wifi.
    b) The only time I pay is when I use Skype to call UK landlines from abroad (when I am on wifi). The cost of the landline portion of the call is deducted from my Skype account.
    c) I tend not to make calls unless I am in a wifi zone whilst abroad.
    Question - does the new BT service offer something better (e.g. cheaper than my approach for option (b) - and a viable alternative for when I am in situation (c) i.e. no wifi?
  • edited 16 January 2013 at 5:46PM
    YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2013 at 5:46PM
    ronflat wrote: »
    Er, slightly confused.... I have a BT landline for my calls (and Broadband). My BT contract does not seem to include any reference to "free (included) minutes".

BT dont offer landline only for residential customers at the very least you would have unlimited inclusive 01/02/03 0845/0870 weekend calls you could use with this app plus Freephone 0800/0808 at all times.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/landline/packages
  • The possible use of an iPod touch (or perhaps an iPad for those with big hands !) is interesting.

Does anyone know if the app would work on an iPod touch on WiFi ?

I believe the newer iPod Touches have microphones.
  • bestymanbestyman Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have installed the app and very pleased with it. It is easy to set up and use.

Can anyone tell me please, does BT charge a connection fee for the free calls, for example a local call at the weekend?
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS