Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Tui/Thomson ONLY

Options

Comments

• AshleyBrownCow
    Options
    After my flight to Mexico was delayed for 25 hours on Xmas day I have been rejected by Thomsons and CAA and now weighing up whether to go to small claims or not. They are claiming it was due to the adverse weather but our plane left on time but it left without us as we were bumped for previous days customers. I want to go for the full 1200 euros but if the small claims court could cost £300 its a gamble. I want to know if Thomsons can blag it? Do I have a cast iron case?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After my flight to Mexico was delayed for 25 hours on Xmas day I have been rejected by Thomsons and CAA and now weighing up whether to go to small claims or not. They are claiming it was due to the adverse weather but our plane left on time but it left without us as we were bumped for previous days customers. I want to go for the full 1200 euros but if the small claims court could cost £300 its a gamble. I want to know if Thomsons can blag it? Do I have a cast iron case?

what was your flight number? If you turned up at the airport and the flight operated but you were refused travel then your claim could be for denied boarding which is less defendable
  • AshleyBrownCow
    Options
    TOM048, I checked online and everything said we were ok and on time. Got to airport and no one told us we were being bumped until we got to check in, no Thomsons staff around due to it being Xmas day. 5 Hours later we eventually got put up in hotel but they were blaiming it on weather.
  • Lucinda67
    Options
    We were on this flight chartered from Thomson by P&O to Barbados and it was delayed 6hrs 25 mins. the flight the day before to P&O cruise was delayed 8hrs. Thomson gave us a letter at airport (which I still have) stating the reasonfor our delay to be 'a last minute technical problem with the in-flight entertainment system' nevertheless decision was taken to fly , albeit 6hrs later than schedule.
    We have applied to them for compensation , following all the guidelines ,only to be told that they will not pay out as the 'flight was delayed due to a technical defect being detected prior to a previous scheduled flight ' which caused a 'knock on effect' . They state it therefore falls into 'Extraordinary Circumstances' and later in letter state in the case of our flight 'the cause of delay was due to a delay to another aircraft due to ' unexpected flight safety shortcomings' ! Any ideas where to go next - back to them to point out the discrepancies?
  • Caz3121
    Options
    Lucinda67 wrote: »
    Any ideas where to go next

The FAQs on the Thomson thread
  • JLear14
    Options
    Hi there

Could someone advise me as to who I should write to, to claim compensation for a delayed flight.

It was in 2005, our holiday was a package holiday via Thomson, the flight was with Air Jamaica. We were 8 hours delayed.

The customer relations department of Air Jamaica/Caribbean Airlines is based in Trinidad.

Many Thanks
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JLear14 wrote: »
    Hi there

Could someone advise me as to who I should write to, to claim compensation for a delayed flight.

It was in 2005, our holiday was a package holiday via Thomson, the flight was with Air Jamaica. We were 8 hours delayed.

The customer relations department of Air Jamaica/Caribbean Airlines is based in Trinidad.

Many Thanks

Neither. You are out of time. Search "out of time" if you want to see why.
  • JLear14
    Options
    Hi Vauban

Thank you for your reply. On the main page about flight delays Martin Lewis has said "you can apply for compensation for any past delays, stretching back as far as February 2005"

Is this not correct or just too much hassle for me to bother?

Sorry for my ignorance here, I've not used this site before?

Many Thanks
  • Caz3121
    Options
    the sticky would have been a good place to start
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896454

have a read of the FAQs
    assuming the delayed flight was departing from the EU (and not the return flight) you can contact Air Jamaica
    They can reject your claim or simply ignore you and as you are too late to take them to court there is nothing you can do

If it was your return flight you would never have had a claim even within the 6 years
  • GeorgieH
    Options
    I have recently been successful with a claim with Thomson and found it really easy. Provided them with name, dates, flight numbers and booking references in an email (didn't even have to fill in the form) and a cheque landed at my door 25 days later. I am also claiming from another well known Tour operator and their service has been appalling. My advice is read up, get the knowledge, provide as much info as possible and don't back down.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback