Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Options

Comments

• schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    thats the same consition that i have, but it is an umbrella title that covers many similiarly acting conditions.
    i am also 49, but have had trouble since birth ( it usually doesnt cause problems until adulthood) i was registered blind at age 30.
    it's a nightmare of a condition as it is continuously changing and makes adapting to these changes as they iccur almost impossible.

i had no trouble with my ESA assessment, but it just goes to show how widely the competancy iof the HCP varies from place to place

Also it may depend on whether the "HCP" has hit their target of throwing people off benefits.

Good Channel 4 programme last night exposing Atos!! One Atos "HCP" failed to notice that a ex-solider didn't have a leg!!!
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    Options

That just about sums this thread up,its just so ATOS can push a propaganda campaign.
  • sicknotethefirst
    sicknotethefirst Posts: 184 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2013 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Atos rep I think you missed this follow up ?

Originally Posted by sicknotethefirst viewpost.gif
    The approved health care professionals' (HCPs) role is to carry out an assessment of the functional effects of the customer's disabling condition, and to utilise the information gathered to provide the decision maker with an impartial and independent assessment.
    What specific disability analysis training do doctors, nurses and physiotherapists receive over and above their general medical training?

Before working for Atos Healthcare, healthcare professionals must have at least 3 years’ post-registration experience across a wide range of specialities, and this must include some generalist training. All employees are provided with additional, comprehensive training specific to disability analysis. For the Work Capability Assessment, this includes an 8 day course for all doctors and a 17 day course for nurses and physiotherapists.
    Training of healthcare professionals can be considered in three distinct areas:

1. Generic training
    2. Training to undertake benefit-specific assessments
    3. Scrutiny and file work training
    Now I have a question…

Mr X has had a quadruple bypass leaving him with left ventricular failure to those who don’t know (heart failure) and later develops type 2 diabetes which then complicates matters even more.

Mr Y who has had a single bypass with no other complications.

Mr Z who was born with Spina bifida (Almost all patients with Spina Bifida will require lifelong antibiotics to prevent infection. Approximately 70% of all spina bifida patients will have to have some form of drug therapy later in life to try to control their bladder over-activity, and approximately 70% will have to practice clean intermittent catheterisation on a lifelong basis)

Mr XX Who through an accident at work lost the use of the right side of his body.

Now all these people send in their filled out ESA50 which is then scrutinised by a basic nurse with no additional qualifications except a 17 day disability analysis course provided by Atos.
    How is it that a basic nurse is able to learn so much about a person’s ability when they have only had an additional 17 days training? Bearing in mind the different complications that all illnesses may carry, and then make a recommendation about what they believe?

I would like a specific answer and not something copied from the Atos website.
    Originally Posted by Atos Healthcare company representative viewpost.gif
    Hi sicknotethefirst All the HCPs who perform scrutiny for ESA are approved Disability Analysts who have received additional specific training and approval from DWP in the scrutiny/filework processes. It is worth mentioning that while all HCPs will meet the minimum requirements as described above, many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications. The role of the Atos HCP, whether at filework or face-to-face assessment, is to look at the functional effects of an individual’s medical conditions. They do this by reviewing the information in the individual’s ESA50 form, along with any other information that may be present (or which they request from the individual’s GP, for example). They will then advise if there is a need for a face-to-face assessment, or in other cases – where there is sufficient evidence and in accordance with DWP procedures – offer advice to the Decision Maker at the filework stage.
    Originally Posted by sicknotethefirst viewpost.gif
    If I understand you correctly what your saying is that all HCP's have enough qualifications to understand all illnesses and the their effects? regardless to how complicated this maybe? In your words you stated" many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications." I take it that this doesn't mean 'ALL'

Are you saying that if they do not have enough information they 'WILL' seek more information from the claimants GP?

You seem to have missed the above ????

Originally Posted by Atos Healthcare company representative viewpost.gif
    Hi sicknotethefirst

Could you clarify your question please? Work capability assessments have been happening across Britain since ESA was introduced. If you are referring to assessment for ESA from IB these are also happening across Britain, but you would need to speak to DWP about their referral process and when you would be referred to us.
    Thank you I will contact the Dwp.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »

Good Channel 4 programme last night exposing Atos!! One Atos "HCP" failed to notice that a ex-solider didn't have a leg!!!

I didn't see the programme last night. But I do believe my mother has heard of this one before. She starts ranting about it everytime you mention the word ATOS, bless her lol.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i domt wamy yp do a dis service to the HCP that saw me, because she quite possibly still is as thorough as she was at the time of my medocal but ....

she was still training, and was being supervised by another HCP ( who didnt interfere at all) but possibly she hadnt become complacent or lost compassion for the people she was assessing
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    halight wrote: »
    Atos PR Rep, Do Atos Pay UK Tax on there profits ?

Don't forget this one Atos PR Rep,
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • sicknotethefirst
    Options
    The rep isn't on here too much now???? Kitchen and Heat comes to mind!!
  • sicknotethefirst
    Options
    I didn't realise this site had been sold? which now explains a lot to me. Sorry but I guess most of you know this anyway?

• Martin Lewis created the website for just £100 nine years ago
    • He will receive £60million in cash and shares plus a further £27million if targets are met under deal agreed with Moneysupermarket
    • The consumer expert will remain editor-in-chief of the website for the next three years

• halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The rep isn't on here too much now???? Kitchen and Heat comes to mind!!

Its working out how to tell us, That it gets paid hundreds of millions of tax payers money each year, Gives us a substandard service for this money and then Avoids paying UK tax on its profits,

I bet it wont tell us about its TAX, but there should be some way of finding out.
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Options
    If I understand you correctly what your saying is that all HCP's have enough qualifications to understand all illnesses and the their effects? regardless to how complicated this maybe? In your words you stated" many have considerably more experience and additional qualifications." I take it that this doesn't mean 'ALL'

You also stated...

Are you saying that if they do not have enough information they 'WILL' seek more information from the claimants GP?

Hi sicknotethefirst

Sorry for the delay. The important thing is how the individual is affected by their illness or disability, or combinations of illnesses or disabilities. At the filework stage this information is obtained from all of the answers to the questions in the ESA50, as just the diagnosis would not provide sufficient information in most cases. Two individuals with the same diagnosis can be affected in different ways due to such things as the severity of the condition or the time they have had to adapt.

We explained here the circumstances where further information is sought.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure