Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Options

Comments

• lilpixie
    Options
    Hi I need help with a question. In January my husband had to fill in one of the forms to judge his ability for work,he was retired many years ago on Mental Health problems, anyway on the 21st Feb he had a stroke, does he have to inform Atos of this........I really hope someone can help.
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    Options
    Where is the ATOS rep anyway,is he/she on sick leave?they not signed in since last friday.
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Options
    lilpixie wrote: »
    Hi I need help with a question. In January my husband had to fill in one of the forms to judge his ability for work,he was retired many years ago on Mental Health problems, anyway on the 21st Feb he had a stroke, does he have to inform Atos of this........I really hope someone can help.

Hi lilpixie

If you contact us directly using the details in our profile we can advise you what action needs to be taken depending on where in the process your husband’s referral to us is.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Redman_2
    Options

Ah !! so all becomes clear now.

ATOS and MSE "Mutually" promoting each other.

I wouldn't trust MSE as far as I could throw it, anymore.

"Show me your company, and I'll tell you what you are"

This needs publicising on The Net !!!!!!
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Dear ATOS rep, if somebody applies for ESA and before they are called for a medical, their condition changes, what action should they take? Should the contact the DWP officecdealing with their claim, should they make a new application, or wait until they are called for the medical and then explain. This is a hypothetical question and doesn't relate to my application, or anyone that I know of.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More of that good Atos training

Blind woman ordered back to work wins benefits battle

A blind woman has won a fight to have her benefits reinstated after she was told to get a job.

Margaret Allen had to give up work because of her condition but was called up to a controversial ‘fit-to-work’ assessment – part of the government’s overhaul of the welfare system.

The 49-year-old has progressive retinitis pigmentosa – a degenerative incurable disorder – and is registered blind.

But an assessor ruled that she was not eligible for help and told her she must go back to work.

Margaret has now successfully appealed against the decision but slammed the system for making her feel like a benefits cheat. She said: “The condition gets worse every day. I was diagnosed in 1988 and continued to work until 1999.

“I even went part time because I didn’t want to quit but it got to the point where I just could not work safely any longer.”

Margaret, who lives with her husband Robert in Chadderton, Oldham, is among thousands of people who have had to take part in the assessments.

Those who currently claim incapacity benefit, income support for illness or disability or severe disablement allowance, are being transferred to a new payment called employment and support allowance (ESA).

The tests – carried out by adjudicators Atos on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – decide whether claimants are still eligible to receive support.

Margaret was called up by Atos in October and claims the assessment was crude with no regard to her medical condition.

She said: “The assessor sat there wiggling his fingers in front of my eyes to test me.

“I took along my blind certificate which has detailed information on it and asked if they wanted to see it – but they weren’t interested.”

Participants must score 15 to be deemed unable to work – Margaret scored just nine points. Nationally, almost half of the sick or disabled people assessed had their benefits removed but about a third of appeals have been upheld at tribunals.

Margaret, a former warehouse assistant, had her benefits reinstated after writing a letter challenging the initial decision. Within weeks she had been reassessed as having 24 points.

She is now helping other people affected by the work capability assessments through online support groups and has had her case taken up by Oldham West and Royton MP Michael Meacher.

She said: “I felt terrible and judged. It made me feel like a benefit cheat.

“My whole family have worked all their lives and I worked for as long as I possibly could but I can’t live on fresh air. I’m blind not dead.

“If anyone is going through the same thing please do not give up because the truth always prevails.”

An Atos Healthcare spokesman said the DWP decision makes decisions on individuals’ entitlement to benefit – not Atos.

She added: “We have been doing this work for the department for over a decade and our doctors, nurses and physiotherapists are fully trained and experienced with many coming directly from the NHS. They strictly follow the guidelines given to them by the government when conducting assessments and make no decisions on a person’s eligibility for benefits.

“We have worked with the department on improving the part of the process we carry out and continually ask for feedback from the department and those claiming benefit.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/blind-chadderton-woman-ordered-back-1346646
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Atos PR Rep, Do Atos Pay UK Tax on there profits ?
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    Dear ATOS rep, if somebody applies for ESA and before they are called for a medical, their condition changes, what action should they take? Should the contact the DWP officecdealing with their claim, should they make a new application, or wait until they are called for the medical and then explain. This is a hypothetical question and doesn't relate to my application, or anyone that I know of.

Hi Raksha

Early in the claim you receive a questionnaire. The questionnaire should be completed to reflect your condition at the time you return it, and further information can be sent to us after you have returned the questionnaire. Waiting until you have a face to face assessment might not be the best approach, as a face to face assessment is not always needed. Any changes that mean you want to withdraw your claim would need to be discussed with the DWP.
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Dear atos rep

And if the HCP in question was an HCP that i had made a formal complaint about to ATOS and/or to their regulatory body (i.e. the GMC or NMC).Would/could it then still be possible to get the same HCP as before to do the assessment.That is wether or not the complaint is still proceeding or not.

Hi vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Sorry for the delay. It should not then be possible. If for some reason this did happen and you point it out another HCP will do your assessment.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February 2013 at 4:40PM
    Options
    halight wrote: »
    More of that good Atos training

Blind woman ordered back to work wins benefits battle

A blind woman has won a fight to have her benefits reinstated after she was told to get a job.

Margaret Allen had to give up work because of her condition but was called up to a controversial ‘fit-to-work’ assessment – part of the government’s overhaul of the welfare system.

The 49-year-old has progressive retinitis pigmentosa – a degenerative incurable disorder – and is registered blind.

But an assessor ruled that she was not eligible for help and told her she must go back to work.

Margaret has now successfully appealed against the decision but slammed the system for making her feel like a benefits cheat. She said: “The condition gets worse every day. I was diagnosed in 1988 and continued to work until 1999.

“I even went part time because I didn’t want to quit but it got to the point where I just could not work safely any longer.”

Margaret, who lives with her husband Robert in Chadderton, Oldham, is among thousands of people who have had to take part in the assessments.

Those who currently claim incapacity benefit, income support for illness or disability or severe disablement allowance, are being transferred to a new payment called employment and support allowance (ESA).

The tests – carried out by adjudicators Atos on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – decide whether claimants are still eligible to receive support.

Margaret was called up by Atos in October and claims the assessment was crude with no regard to her medical condition.

She said: “The assessor sat there wiggling his fingers in front of my eyes to test me.

“I took along my blind certificate which has detailed information on it and asked if they wanted to see it – but they weren’t interested.”

Participants must score 15 to be deemed unable to work – Margaret scored just nine points. Nationally, almost half of the sick or disabled people assessed had their benefits removed but about a third of appeals have been upheld at tribunals.

Margaret, a former warehouse assistant, had her benefits reinstated after writing a letter challenging the initial decision. Within weeks she had been reassessed as having 24 points.

She is now helping other people affected by the work capability assessments through online support groups and has had her case taken up by Oldham West and Royton MP Michael Meacher.

She said: “I felt terrible and judged. It made me feel like a benefit cheat.

“My whole family have worked all their lives and I worked for as long as I possibly could but I can’t live on fresh air. I’m blind not dead.

“If anyone is going through the same thing please do not give up because the truth always prevails.”

An Atos Healthcare spokesman said the DWP decision makes decisions on individuals’ entitlement to benefit – not Atos.

She added: “We have been doing this work for the department for over a decade and our doctors, nurses and physiotherapists are fully trained and experienced with many coming directly from the NHS. They strictly follow the guidelines given to them by the government when conducting assessments and make no decisions on a person’s eligibility for benefits.

“We have worked with the department on improving the part of the process we carry out and continually ask for feedback from the department and those claiming benefit.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/blind-chadderton-woman-ordered-back-1346646
    thats the same consition that i have, but it is an umbrella title that covers many similiarly acting conditions.
    i am also 49, but have had trouble since birth ( it usually doesnt cause problems until adulthood) i was registered blind at age 30.
    it's a nightmare of a condition as it is continuously changing and makes adapting to these changes as they iccur almost impossible.

i had no trouble with my ESA assessment, but it just goes to show how widely the competancy iof the HCP varies from place to place
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure