Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Options

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    craftygran wrote: »
    MY DH has just received the dreaded ESA letter. I think he will be assessed as unable to work but will not be put into the contributions based as he as been on IB for over 20 years. My question is I work full time does this mean on the income based option he will no longer receive any payments?

Thank you in advance

If switching from IB to ESA then it is automatically contribution based. If the support group money will continue indefinately but if the WRAG then it will be limited to one year.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So if you are assesed as being in the support group, can you claim ESA regardless of household income?
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    So if you are assesed as being in the support group, can you claim ESA regardless of household income?

Only if contribution based. Income based always goes on household income. the difference is that contribution based support group is not time limited whereas WRAG is
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2013 at 8:58PM
    Options
    The number of hours a partner works is also important as far as IR ESA is concerned, the magic number being 24!!

Savings is also taken into account £16K being the threshold.
  • Bongo567
    Options
    I have a lifelong conditions in Asperger's Syndrome and live in supported housing where staff helps me to cook, do my laundry, clean my room etc and I don't go anywhere alone without staff or my family. I'm worried I won't get into the Support Group because I look "able" to work but mentally I can't that's why I left school early and couldn't continue college. I'm currently on long term IB and the thought of going on these work focused interviews causes me great distress as my family and everyone who knows me says they don't think I could handle a job.

Thanks for any help i'm just worried you know?
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Bongo567 wrote: »
    I have a lifelong conditions in Asperger's Syndrome and live in supported housing where staff helps me to cook, do my laundry, clean my room etc and I don't go anywhere alone without staff or my family. I'm worried I won't get into the Support Group because I look "able" to work but mentally I can't that's why I left school early and couldn't continue college. I'm currently on long term IB and the thought of going on these work focused interviews causes me great distress as my family and everyone who knows me says they don't think I could handle a job.

Thanks for any help i'm just worried you know?

Don't panic.

My son has aspergers and is in WRAG. They do not make you get a job. He meets his adviser once a week and they go over things that could help him look for a job. He is not made to look for work.
    If you get put into this group you can appeal the decision.

Please do not get worried about it.
  • Bongo567
    Options
    Own_My_Own wrote: »
    Don't panic.

My son has aspergers and is in WRAG. They do not make you get a job. He meets his adviser once a week and they go over things that could help him look for a job. He is not made to look for work.
    If you get put into this group you can appeal the decision.

Please do not get worried about it.

Thanks for your help :) my family told me to stop worrying and the government are just trying to get rid of the ones scamming the system (who are ruining for the ones who need it) not for people who need it like me but it's all very stressful especially when you read some of the "scare" horror headlines in the press..
  • isolation
    isolation Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2013 at 10:34AM
    Options
    Bongo567 wrote: »
    Thanks for your help :) my family told me to stop worrying and the government are just trying to get rid of the ones scamming the system (who are ruining for the ones who need it) not for people who need it like me but it's all very stressful especially when you read some of the "scare" horror headlines in the press..

Sadly that is not true :( but hopefully you get what is deserved, perhaps is now a good time to see an advice worker to assess your options ?

Best wishes
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    edited 18 February 2013 at 10:34AM
    Options
    What are you talking about. Stop trying to scare the man. You don't get supported housing unless you need it. If he need this they are not going to say he doesn't need other help. He has people around him who can help fill out the forms and look at his options.
    I hope you sleep well tonight. You may have just worried a lad out of sleep for no reason.
  • isolation
    isolation Posts: 120 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2013 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Own_My_Own wrote: »
    What are you talking about. Stop trying to scare the man. You don't get supported housing unless you need it. If he need this they are not going to say he doesn't need other help. He has people around him who can help fill out the forms and look at his options.
    I hope you sleep well tonight. You may have just worried a lad out of sleep for no reason.

Sad isn't it :( Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to say that they should seek professional advice. It is not a fair or honest system in many cases. Hopefully they can get the benefits they deserve. In my partners case it took 16 months of denied benefits and 16 months of hell before she was successful.

Dee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport