🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

UK-passport.net

Options

Comments

• thenuns
    thenuns Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Just been conned by this uk-passport.net site too :(
    Clicked on the sponsored link and assumed the site was the passport office as was took straight to the forms :(
    Yes I know lots of you will say you need to read thoroughly and yes I know this is mostly my fault for not double checking before entering my card details.
    Anyway contacted my bank HSBC and they took the matter very very seriously and have cancelled my card, and will prevent the payment siting that this company had far too many of my details that suggests a possibility of online fraud. Remember this company now has my card details and access to my passport details!!!!

Please remember just because I had a dumbass moment does not give fraudsters the right to commit online crime :(
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    thenuns wrote: »
    Clicked on the sponsored link and assumed the site was the passport office as was took straight to the forms :(
    Yes I know lots of you will say you need to read thoroughly and yes I know this is mostly my fault for not double checking before entering my card details.
    Anyway contacted my bank HSBC and they took the matter very very seriously and have cancelled my card, and will prevent the payment siting that this company had far too many of my details that suggests a possibility of online fraud. Remember this company now has my card details and access to my passport details!!!!

Please remember just because I had a dumbass moment does not give fraudsters the right to commit online crime :(

Oh dear. :cool:

First you assume that a website is the right one, then you find out you could have got the service free so want to cancel but you don't bother to go back to the website and cancel your application properly as per their T&Cs.

Instead, you phone your bank to cancel your card.

From uk-passport.net's website:
    You may cancel your application for our service at any time up until we have processed your application and completed our service.
    If you cancel before we have processed your application, we will issue a full refund.
    If you wish to exercise your right to cancel, please contact us in writing (email is best), supplying your name, address and Hipay receipt number (not essential). Our contact details can be found here.

See how easy it would have been if you'd read the T&Cs and cancelled the application with uk-passport.net directly?

If you're so concerned about on-line fraud, maybe you should take a little more care and make a few less assumptions when giving out your financial information.
  • Gilbert2
    Gilbert2 Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Dolphin wrote: »
    Hi

I wanted to warn people not to use this website to apply for a passport - its not an application site, which i didnt realise until after I had (stupidly!) entered my credit card details and

Thanks for the heads up but I've got common sense.
  • Gilbert2
    Gilbert2 Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options

No, but they appear to not be fraudsters but, instead, a legitimate company offering a service that some dumbass will obviously fall for time and again.

Hence why they probably set up in the first place.
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options

1) There is no con
    2) They are not fraudsters
    3) Yes it is entirely your fault (not mostly)
    4) HSBC are talking crap - there is no fraud
    5) They haven't committed online crime at all and frankly your comments are just slanderous. Could you explain exactly what 'crime' they've committed.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 February 2013 at 4:41PM
    Options

No, you had a dumbass moment, end of.

Next time, read what you're buying and you won't have this kind of problem again - it's entirely your fault and they've done nothing wrong.

Just because you're too daft to read the site doesn't mean you can come on here spouting crap about them - you're the idiot, not them.

I would also love to know what 'crime' they've committed, preying on the stupid perhaps?
  • wantmemoney
    wantmemoney Posts: 836 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2013 at 2:13AM
    Options
    it's no wonder the 'whois' and contact details for uk-passport.net are kept secret and vague.
    SneakyFate wrote:
    I received two e-mails. One from "staff@estavisa.co.uk", to whom my request for a refund (sent to sales@uk-passport.net) had been forwarded.
    so who is 'uk-passport.net'?
    http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2011/12/Esta-Visa-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_174864.aspx
    ASA Adjudication on Esta Visa Ltd
    Esta Visa Ltd t/a nhs-direct.org.uk

Ad
    Two sponsored search results for a website offering EHIC applications, seen on 17 and 25 October 2011. Ad (a) stated "EHIC Card Registrations | nhs-direct.org.uk https://www.nhs-direct.org.uk EHIC Replaces The E111 Health Card, Apply For Your Free EHIC Card Today". Ad (b) stated "Want A New E111? - EHIC Replaces The E111 Health Card https://www.nhs-direct.org.uk Apply For Your Free EHIC Card Today".

Issue
    1. Two complainants challenged whether ads (a) and (b) were misleading because they believed the URL "www.nhs-direct.org.uk" implied a link with the NHS.

2. One complainant challenged whether the claim "Apply For Your Free EHIC Card Today" in ad (b) was misleading because he believed customers were charged for the application.

Action
    The ads must not appear again in their current form. We told Esta Visa to ensure they did not mislead consumers regarding the commercial nature of their website or the costs associated with applying for an EHIC card with them.
    well it appears they have previous form for this type of 'fraud'!

and another heads up....
    No, you had a dumbass moment, end of.

Next time, read what you're buying and you won't have this kind of problem again - it's entirely your fault and they've done nothing wrong.

Just because you're too daft to read the site doesn't mean you can come on here spouting crap about them - you're the idiot, not them.

I would also love to know what 'crime' they've committed, preying on the stupid perhaps?
    _Andy_ wrote:
    1) There is no con
    2) They are not fraudsters
    3) Yes it is entirely your fault (not mostly)
    4) HSBC are talking crap - there is no fraud
    5) They haven't committed online crime at all and frankly your comments are just slanderous. Could you explain exactly what 'crime' they've committed.
    wonder what line of business these bozos are in.....
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    it's no wonder the 'whois' and contact details for uk-passport.net are kept secret and vague.

so who is 'uk-passport.net'?

well it appears they have previous form for this type of 'fraud'!

and another heads up....

wonder what line of business these bozos are in.....
    It is not fraud and infact they have loads of these sites fro the thickos that want to use them
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Right so, because I bother to read things before I hand over card details, I'm a bozo?
    You f*cking moron.
  • wantmemoney
    wantmemoney Posts: 836 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2013 at 1:45AM
    Options
    keyser666 wrote:
    It is not fraud and infact they have loads of these sites fro the thickos that want to use them
    _Andy_ wrote:
    Right so, because I bother to read things before I hand over card details, I'm a bozo?
    You f*cking moron.
    Why are there so many forum posters so ready to defend what most normal people would consider to be out and our scams?

and why do they feel the need to be so rude and insulting to the victims to get their message across?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport