MSE News: MPs vote to limit benefit rises to 1%

Options

Comments

• flexrider
    flexrider Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    Just a idea but do you think we should start a petition to ask if MPs would take salaries of NMW as politicians with no tax expensives allowed to be claimed form the tax payer purse like they said we all in this together eh? cant they put something into cutting also?

would love to see that happen
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far :j" p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
  • princessdon
    princessdon Posts: 6,902 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2013 at 9:47PM
    Options
    flexrider wrote: »
    Please at 120 a for-night JSA is not rolling in it, Even By the Daily mail or newpapers you may read its 1% of 120 quid a forthnight so 118.24p or 236 pound a month without housing benefit you could not even pay the rent with that :)

JSA is one benefit they should have excluded - I think nearly everyone agrees with that. Add your expectation to pay CT from April and any singleton's who have the expense of job seeking too from that amount has my smypathies.

It shouldn't have been in the list at all. :(

Also it's not being CUT as per your figures - it's just only been given a 1% rise instead of 3 %.
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    scootw1 wrote: »
    The vote has gone through. The cuts are happening

A hell of an electoral gamble for the snarling disabled hating Irritable Duncan-Smith. This surely has sealed the fate of the lib-dems at the next election even though a few of them realised that this was one nasty tory policy too far for them to agree with.
  • princessdon
    Options
    I haven't had a pay rise for 3 years, however, I disagree with what you say, it will affect the high street and other local business. I am currently calculating the impact on the city I live in terms of local economy loss (part of my job) it is staggering without factoring in other welfare reforms.

Just like CB losers won't be able to spend as much, just like workers without children who don't get pay rises won't spend as much.

I just think the figures are really small, don't forget they ARE getting a rise, just not with inflation. A few years ago they got a rise then inflation went down, business didn't boom.

They lowered VAT - again businesses didn't boom.

There is less money for everyone all round and anything that is none essential is going to feel the pinch.

But the reality is that we are not talking huge amounts. As I said it's £32 per year for a family with 2 children on CB, or 60p a week. They put school lunches up by that each year and people don't say the businesses will close.

The major effect on High Street spending would be interest rates go up as those same families whether renting or buying would see a huge increase in housing.
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    The way I read that article is that by 2015, the quoted families will have lost £x, which I assumed meant the combined years of 2013, 2014 and 2015, so the loss each year is £x divided by 3.

However, they haven't "lost" anything, as far as I can see, but their net income hasn't kept pace with inflation. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this seems to be the same as calling the HB cap a "bedroom tax".

Those on certain benefits may well find their income hasn't kept pace with inflation, well, guess what, nor has the income for workers who haven't had a rise for years, and it certainly hasn't for me and DH.

Why? Well we prudently budgeted during our working lives, so that we could have a modest nest egg when we retired. At the time, our mortgage repayment was at 15%. Foolishly we thought that by the time we retired, our mortgage would be cleared, which it is, and we would be reaping 15% interest from our savings, which would cover holidays, necessary repairs etc.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I believe we are getting 2 point something or other, whilst those repaying their mortgages are certainly not paying 15%!! We don't have holidays, and the bill when the roof needing repair last year was eye-watering, :eek: but as long as we have, with careful budgeting, sufficient, we manage.

xx
  • scootw1
    scootw1 Posts: 2,165 Forumite
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    A hell of an electoral gamble for the snarling disabled hating Irritable Duncan-Smith. This surely has sealed the fate of the lib-dems at the next election even though a few of them realised that this was one nasty tory policy too far for them to agree with.

Why do you say 'disabled hating'? If he was he would gave included them as well in this bill but he didn't. Though why the cost of living seems to be different for certain groups of people is anyone's guess.
  • clemmatis
    clemmatis Posts: 3,168 Forumite
    Options
    The way I read that article is that by 2015, the quoted families will have lost £x, which I assumed meant the combined years of 2013, 2014 and 2015, so the loss each year is £x divided by 3.

However, they haven't "lost" anything, as far as I can see, but their net income hasn't kept pace with inflation. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this seems to be the same as calling the HB cap a "bedroom tax".

Those on certain benefits may well find their income hasn't kept pace with inflation, well, guess what, nor has the income for workers who haven't had a rise for years, and it certainly hasn't for me and DH.

Why? Well we prudently budgeted during our working lives, so that we could have a modest nest egg when we retired. At the time, our mortgage repayment was at 15%. Foolishly we thought that by the time we retired, our mortgage would be cleared, which it is, and we would be reaping 15% interest from our savings, which would cover holidays, necessary repairs etc.

I believe we are getting 2 point something or other, whilst those repaying their mortgages are certainly not paying 15%!! We don't have holidays, and the bill when the roof needing repair last year was eye-watering, :eek: but as long as we have, with careful budgeting, sufficient, we manage.

xx

Yeah, well. I was prudent too.

xx
  • princessdon
    Options
    Also you have to remember the fact that the PA is raised AGAIN so they are now getting benefit from this that far outweighs the small none increase.

The only real losers are those that don't benefit from the PA raised which is again middle earners as the 40% bracket was lowered, so they give and take for them.

But any worker under £42K wins by the PA raised.

It's all about making working pay, so workers should not really lose anything in fact many will gain.
  • guilds
    guilds Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    From the comments on here it would appear that the Tories haven't lost their innate ability to do what they do best, divide and rule.
    How about closing the tax loopholes so that everyone pays their own fair share in this tough economic climate? They are all at it: Microsoft, Amazon, Vodafone, Goldman Sachs, Starbucks etc. Oh no the poor are far easier target.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    flexrider wrote: »
    Just a idea but do you think we should start a petition to ask if MPs would take salaries of NMW as politicians with no tax expensives allowed to be claimed form the tax payer purse like they said we all in this together eh? cant they put something into cutting also?

would love to see that happen
    Most would get jobs elsewhere.
    Despite what many say, you do need to be a bit of an achiever to get to be an MP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure