REMINDER. You've got until 5pm today to join in our energy-themed Ask An Expert event and post your questions for MSE Gary & MSE Andrew

Parcel delivery firms: who are the best and worst?

Poll started 8 Jan 2013

As internet shopping grows, parcel delivery is becoming a regular part of our lives. Yet complaints range from no-shows to “they threw the goods over the fence” or “they lied that we weren't in.” So we want to find out who are the good guys and who are the cowboys.

Please rate your overall experiences with these major firms (don’t rate if you haven’t used them).

Did you vote? Why did you pick that option? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

Replies

• Lucifa42Lucifa42 Forumite
    43 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    *looks at the Yodel result*

Yep, that's about right, worst by far.
  • pete_vpete_v Forumite
    56 Posts
    If you had Collect Plus in your poll, I'd be rating it excellent. I've both received and sent stuff through them, via the friendly corner shop at the end of my road. They can also deliver to the door as a conventional courier, but picking stuff up from the shop (which is open till 11pm) is much easier for me. I did have a problem with one parcel which had been misrouted (someone had re-used an Amazon box and the shop staff put it in the wrong pile in their storeroom) and CollectPlus answered the phone straight away and were really helpful, holding on the phone while I talked to the shop, and then talking to the shop staff themselves. Problem solved and the parcel came back the next day.

I'm a fan, and hope more online shops start using them.

Pete
  • sknabsknab Forumite
    14 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Yodel should take note of this poll!
  • scooby088scooby088 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    sknab wrote: »
    Yodel should take note of this poll!

Doubt if they will though.
  • stevemcolstevemcol Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I only like Royal Mail since at least I can pick up their undelivered stuff from the Post Office in town. None of the other couriers have a collection depot within 20 miles of my house.

I like the Amazon system of nominating a local shop for collection. I wish it was more widely used.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • chocaholicmancchocaholicmanc Forumite
    63 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I believe Oasis use DPD and they were excellent. I got an email and sms giving me an estimated delivery time (within an hour) and giving me options of delivering to a neighbour or choosing a different date from 2 if that day was inconvenient. All I had to do was send a number by sms.

When the parcel was delivered (to a neighbour) I got an email and sms confirming the number and their name.

Couldn't fault them at all.

Hermes on the other hand tried to deliver a parcel twice, left a card that had no parcel number for tracking so I couldn't rearrange online, along with no name/number for the courier. I ended up having to take an emergency holiday at work to ensure I was in for their final attempt as it was a christmas present. Useless!

I agree with the comment about Royal Mail. It is very useful to be able to go and pick it up and not faff about rearranging delivery if you don't want to!
  • Hardly a scientific poll though is it. Yodel have the largest market share of home deliveries in the UK so aside from Royal Fail are the most likely to have had interaction with the people voting.

When put into that perspective the result is totally biased against them!

Polls like this prove nothing.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It won't work and will annoy the pig!
  • pete_v wrote: »
    If you had Collect Plus in your poll, I'd be rating it excellent. I've both received and sent stuff through them, via the friendly corner shop at the end of my road. They can also deliver to the door as a conventional courier, but picking stuff up from the shop (which is open till 11pm) is much easier for me. I did have a problem with one parcel which had been misrouted (someone had re-used an Amazon box and the shop staff put it in the wrong pile in their storeroom) and CollectPlus answered the phone straight away and were really helpful, holding on the phone while I talked to the shop, and then talking to the shop staff themselves. Problem solved and the parcel came back the next day.

I'm a fan, and hope more online shops start using them.

Pete

Collect+ is a service offered by Yodel and delivered by yodel couriers.
    This goes to show exactly the level of knowledge amongst the voters in this so called 'poll'
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It won't work and will annoy the pig!
  • pete_vpete_v Forumite
    56 Posts
    Superdan wrote: »
    Hardly a scientific poll though is it. Yodel have the largest market share of home deliveries in the UK so aside from Royal Fail are the most likely to have had interaction with the people voting.

When put into that perspective the result is totally biased against them!

Well, surely if they were any good it would then be biassed towards them?

But, errm, they aren't.

Pete
  • pete_vpete_v Forumite
    56 Posts
    Superdan wrote: »
    Collect+ is a service offered by Yodel and delivered by yodel couriers.

Well, I've never had them deliver to my house, so with CollectPlus deliveries I've not suffered the usual hedge-flinging, bin-stuffing, or flat-out lying about visits. I'm sure even Yodel can manage a daily delivery to the same shop, that's always open, so that's why it works.

Thanks for letting me know, though - I will ensure I never book a delivery to my house from them.

Pete
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum