New Post Advanced Search

Bank sent someone elses statement

37 replies 12.4K views
chris&sarahchris&sarah Forumite
2 posts
About a month ago I sent off the first letter asking for copies of my statements for the last 6 years to Barclays.

Yesterday I got a thick envelope and thought they had sent them, on opening the envelope I found that they had sent a thick bundle of statements, BUT NOT MINE... The statements were for another person with a total different name, lived at the other end of the country and the account no was totally different.

The covering letter had my name and address but this other persons account number.

I telephoned the bank and the said that my statements had been sent a few days ago, I haven't received them so can only presume my statements have gone to somebody else. They told me to shread the statements I have and they would send my statements out again.

I'm sure the guy who's statements I have would love to hear Barclays have sent out his statements to somebody else!!!

Just wondering if anyone has heard of something similar. Barclays have charged me over the years for every little error I have made (going overdrawn), would I be able to charge them for this error ?

any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers

chris

Replies

• I would kick up a huge stink over this to be honest!
    They have totally breached the Data Protection Act.
    If you have got someone else's statements, they may have yours!!! and your personal information.
    Get em told!
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • Hi

Just going through the first stages of claiming my bank charges back. Barclays have sent me a copy of my statements and some one elses was attached too.

Would you recommend complaining and who too????

I wouldn't be very happy if it had happened to me! ! !
  • MissG_2MissG_2 Forumite
    869 posts
    Daisy-Mae wrote: »
    Hi

Just going through the first stages of claiming my bank charges back. Barclays have sent me a copy of my statements and some one elses was attached too.

Would you recommend complaining and who too????

I wouldn't be very happy if it had happened to me! ! !

:mad: Barclays again :mad:

This happened to my partner yesterday, he received somebody else's statements and some of his are missing as in somebody else will have his :mad: . We are not at all happy with this and have complained to barclays who are getting back to him in 48 hrs.

We did a search for the other persons phone number and rang and let them know what has happened, we said we will forward them on to him, he is not at all happy. Barclays told us to shred them but the not ours to shred.

This also happened to my partner a couple of years ago he received somebody else's statement with his through the post.

Who else should we contact as we don't want to let this drop as it's not the first time it's happened to him :mad: .

The best things in life are for FREE!!!
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
  • reehsetinreehsetin Forumite
    4.9K posts
    tut tut, i believe you can report them to the information commissioner for breaching the data protection act 98
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
    869 posts
    reehsetin wrote: »
    tut tut, i believe you can report them to the information commissioner for breaching the data protection act 98

How do we go about that wouldn't they need evidence, we are sending the statements to the person they where intended for?
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
  • reehsetinreehsetin Forumite
    4.9K posts
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/data_protection.aspx
    You should only send us copies
    of these documents and make sure you keep the originals in case we need these later on.

dont know, maybe because of the nature of the complaint if you keep copies

i'd suggest also when you send the statements send them the complaints form also so they can make a complaint, if it was me i'd be furious
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
    869 posts
    reehsetin wrote: »

dont know, maybe because of the nature of the complaint if you keep copies

i'd suggest also when you send the statements send them the complaints form also so they can make a complaint, if it was me i'd be furious

That's a good idea.

We are furious and we won't let this drop. Barclays had the cheek to say when he first rang up that they will refund him the £10 it cost to get them, like that makes a big difference in these circumstances.
  • Hi all,

Started to reclaim my bank charges after hearing about this site and reading all about it. I had two accounts that I have had for a while and sent them both the initial letter with a £10 cheque asking for the details of charges applied to my accounts.

I had a reply from one within two weeks so was pleasantly suprised. Inside a covering letter explaining that they had sent me details of all transactions on my account and had not charged me the £10. Enclosed 36 pages of account transactions for me to go through! So far so good?

That was untill after a few pages it became blatantly obvious by looking at the individual transactions that this was not my bank account! I then checked the account number (Should have spotted this first I suppose) and sure enough its not my account. 6 Years worth of transactions for someone elses account. It is amazing how much of a profile you can start to build up on some one just through seeing what kind of purchases they are making, shops they shop in, travelling they are doing etc!

Needless to say I am amazed this has been allowed to happen and would be fuming if my details had been sent to someone else (most probably have!)

Obviously my first step will be to call the bank in question but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I just warn them its happened and destroy the details or use this incident to my advantage?

Any views or advice appreciated.

Laters

Paddy
  • grimreapergrimreaper Forumite
    179 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    pantsdown wrote: »
    Hi all,

Started to reclaim my bank charges after hearing about this site and reading all about it. I had two accounts that I have had for a while and sent them both the initial letter with a £10 cheque asking for the details of charges applied to my accounts.

I had a reply from one within two weeks so was pleasantly suprised. Inside a covering letter explaining that they had sent me details of all transactions on my account and had not charged me the £10. Enclosed 36 pages of account transactions for me to go through! So far so good?

That was untill after a few pages it became blatantly obvious by looking at the individual transactions that this was not my bank account! I then checked the account number (Should have spotted this first I suppose) and sure enough its not my account. 6 Years worth of transactions for someone elses account. It is amazing how much of a profile you can start to build up on some one just through seeing what kind of purchases they are making, shops they shop in, travelling they are doing etc!

Needless to say I am amazed this has been allowed to happen and would be fuming if my details had been sent to someone else (most probably have!)

Obviously my first step will be to call the bank in question but does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I just warn them its happened and destroy the details or use this incident to my advantage?

Any views or advice appreciated.

Laters

Paddy

oh dear i would go mental over this one

i would go to bank personally and ask to see the manager over a account security issue

i would explain you have someone elses account details which in the fraudulent world we live in is totally unprofessional and unacceptable and that you the bank should ring head office to clarify this matter.

Say you are willing to make an official complaint, that you want your charges emailing to branch immediately to prevent yours being posted to someone else as you feel insecure about receiving your bank details thru post now this has happened.

That the bank contacts the relevant customer whose bank details you have as they may require them as well like you for reclaiming and they could pick them up from branch.

Hand them in and say your not happy that you bank with a company that seriously needs to look at there security issues

i would not be happy with my bank if they did this

use this as a bargaining tool to get your charges emailed immediately!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • nickmacknickmack Forumite
    4.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    pantsdown wrote: »

This is a serious breach of the Data Protection Act. Obviously a mistake, but with identity theft on the increase, potentially bad news for someone.

I suggest you complain to the Information Commissioner and let them decide what action to take:

Let the bank know, you have received someone elses statements and you have informed the commissioner.