PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Solstice_3
    Options
    Thanks Tessiebear and JayJay 14 had a look at website, thanks for the link. Bad idea though lol seen 3 things I would like but probably can't afford in the non food page including a rice cooker! Might pop down for the mushrooms, and check the rest of the prices out :)

Does anyone do a "price book"? Was thinking of doing one to take shopping. I have a Lidl and Sainsburys close together, and an Asda and Aldi close together so was thinking of writing down Sainbury's and Asda's prices for fruit, veg and milk and maybe some other regular buys . Do you have any tips, what do you do with your price book?

Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mrsdwhite wrote: »
    Put me down for £200 for the month please. Should just about de do able...:o

Already had my first shop for Feb as I was paid on Friday. £57.59 so got a bit of pulling back to do.
    I really do need to start organising everything with inventories and meal planning. Does anyone have any tips on getting started?

Having got myself into a real pickle when I did my first freezer inventory, I now only do one drawer at a time, first time I just pulled everything out(five drawers) and it was a real task.

Likewise with cupboards,do one at a time, first time was even more of a disaster as pulled everything out of nine cupboards
    and exhausted myself so that a lot was just shoved back in.
    Slimming World at target
  • Lovethenight
    Options
    Hi Folks! :hello:

Many thanks to everyone who helps to run and contributes to this thread - it's a real lifesaver!

I'm still on the January challenge as I'm going calendar month this year, but please put me down for
    £160 for February.

I've already overspent on the January budget (with 8 days still to go:eek:), so am hoping that the shorter month will balance it out.
    This will be for all food, toiletries and household bits for 3 adults (me, DH and his sister - though she may move out during Feb, so that might also balance out the January overspend..)

Will still be posting on the Jan thread but will keep an eye on this one too. Good luck everyone! :)
  • Le_Foot
    Le_Foot Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    O.K., I am going to give it a try!! I've no idea what my monthly spend is, and that's one good reason why I need to do it.We are now on a fixed income, so it is ESSENTIAL that I know where my money is going. I am going to set Feb budget £350 to include all household products, and will start from Friday 26th Jan.
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • Suzexxx
    Suzexxx Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all :)

I'm still on January until 31st, but would like to put my budget down ready for February. I'm already over budget in January so i'll increase February to £250 as going off my reciepts that seems realistic for a shorter month. I'm also due to have my baby at the end of February so the extra increase will be for nappies and other supplies i'm getting with each shop.
    My budget is for food shopping, toiletries, cleaning items etc and this is for me, DP and our cat.

In January i was adding on money spent for takeaways to the budget, but this month i will keep takeaways seperate just so i can see exactly how much money i am spending on them.

Look forward to joining February.

Suze :)
    2015 wins :j Sekonda watch, Harry Potter hardback book,
  • Lovethenight
    Options
    Solstice_3 wrote: »
    I am considering pricing up my meals when I meal plan, I have planned up until 10th Feb already so will price them up each day. My thinking is I can then see which are the more expensive meals and have them less often and try and figure out some cheaper meals! Am going to try and do one meatless night, one fish night and maybe one soup night each week.

I had considered doing the same thing and pricing up the meals I cook most frequently. How are you planning on working out the cost? Are you taking an average price of the ingredients from all the big supermarkets, or do you shop at just 1 store?

I think it would be really interesting to do this. Apart from the fish I buy which is quite expensive, I've never really though much about the cost of the meals I cook - just the number at the end of each receipt!
  • january_23
    Options
    We are still in January as that budget finishes 31st. However I want to make sure I do February so I'm going to state my budget now.
    February budget is going to be £50 again.
    We still have loads in the freezer. It's like the never ending freezer! I swear the food breeds.
    Just today figured out to highlight things on my tablet so can finally change the colour of words, yay.

January
    2 adults groceries: June £35.79/£200
    # 3 - Saving for Xmas 2015 £1 a day. £122/£365
    TTC #1 since 06/08/12
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello :)

I'm new to the GC, and would like to join if thats ok.

I'd like to be put down for £230

It doesn't include takeaways, as they are bought by my mum on a thursday when I do her cleaning.
  • Solstice_3
    Options
    I had considered doing the same thing and pricing up the meals I cook most frequently. How are you planning on working out the cost? Are you taking an average price of the ingredients from all the big supermarkets, or do you shop at just 1 store?

I think it would be really interesting to do this. Apart from the fish I buy which is quite expensive, I've never really though much about the cost of the meals I cook - just the number at the end of each receipt!

I'm trying to buy the cheapest veg using a price book so will go with the average I guess, not 100% sure yet :) Was going to work out how much a portion of veg is by counting the amount of portions I would get out of it - for potatoes by weight as I weigh them and for carrots I use about 3 for a meal so will figure out how many portions I get out of a bag. It's going to be a work in process so happy to share ideas and tips ^_^
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    For those wanting to know about the Aldi super6 over the next few weeks this just turned up on the food and groceries forum

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=58837311&postcount=861
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport