BlackSavings Diary!

Options
After burying my head in the sand for a few years and just getting by, paying what I need to etc. I have finally made a concious effort to get my debts paid off.

I currently have a personal loan and two overdrafts totalling at just under £7,000.

I am saving £2.50 a week via standing order into a building society account. I know it sounds like nothing but it's something I can afford every week without feeling as if it is a burden on my weekly budget. I also save anything under 50p in a jar and pop them in my savings as and when I have saved enough.

I live on my own. After sharing this house with two other people to now paying for everything on my own, life has proved to be a little tough. Although since I started living on my own I have not borrowed any money :j

I work full time at a company three miles away.

So I have decided that 2013 will be the year I kick my bum!

Any tips and tricks to get me on my way? Also, any extra money making ideas?

Thank you
Debt Free Target Date: December 2014
Personal Loan = £2,755.45/£7,000
Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
VSP #58

Comments

• BlackSavings
    Options
    Right, I've signed up to textbroker.co.uk as I do enjoy a bit of writing here there and everywhere.

My goal is to stay positive throughout this whole thing. Forgive me in advance if I break down at any point :(
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
  • snozberry
    snozberry Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hello! I'm gonna subscribe to your diary. One thing that I have learned is to make baby steps. Small changes here and there means that you have a much higher chance of success.
  • BlackSavings
    Options
    Aww thank you.

For every bill that I get rid of or manage to lower I am going to add 75% of the bill to my £2.50 savings. The other 25% of it I will add to my weekly budget allowance.

I'm currently looking round the house for things to sell to give me that initial boost.

My official debt starting point is -£6,958.31
    My official saving starting point is £31.34

Hopefully over the next few months I will get the debt down dramatically :)
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
  • BlackSavings
    Options
    Whoop!

I've just cancelled an account costing me £7.99 a month. That's another £1.50 added to my weekly savings and 50p a week added to my weekly budget :)

Baby steps!
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
  • BlackSavings
    Options
    Even more Whoop!

I've just rung my cable provider and got my bill down by £13 a month!

My weekly savings have gone from £2.50 a week to £6.40 a week! That's an impressive 61% increase in savings :)

Almost crawling!
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
  • BlackSavings
    Options
    This is addictive!

I forgot to tell my water supplier that two people have since moved out of the house. Getting my bill down from £24 per month to £15 per month :)

So far today I have saved nearly £30 a month just by ringing my suppliers and updated my details or asking if there is any way to make my bill cheaper. That's nearly £360 a year savings :)
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
  • BlackSavings
    Options
    This is probably one of the daftest things I have done...but I've put stickers on my debit cards saying 'Don't even think about it!'. Apart from the one I use as my Daily Account card.

I have a nasty habit of, if I fancy something and don't have the money in my pocket, usually only small things like a bar of chocolate or a McDonalds or something, I tend to just use my card and worry about it later. Those accounts are for my other bills so when I have a bill coming up and I'm £5 short for it I end up juggling money around until it looks about right.

Even if I don't look at the card all the time, maybe the person behind me might notice and start giggling...making me think twice. Nobody likes to be laughed at.
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
  • welshdreamer71
    Options
    Good luck lovely looks like your focussed and have a plan, ive subscribed to follow your doings xxx
    2 week 5:2=5.5lb off.
  • BlackSavings
    Options
    Thank you :)

Although, I just had a rather large cry :( My washing machine just decided to break on me, but being the person I am, I fixed it. Not without the tears first though!
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
  • BlackSavings
    Options
    I keep thinking 'What time frame should I attempt this in?'

I'm going for two years. NYE 2014/2015 I want to be debt-free.

And hopefully with some savings behind me too.

I can't pay anything off fast, I can't increase my monthly payments. And if I pay say £20 a month on my overdraft, it won't reduce any charges, so if I save the money then pay things off with my savings then I will feel like I can stay more on track.

I think everybody is in the same boat, wanting a new start. It may not be the best start and I know my debt is nowhere near as bad as most people on here but I am determined to bust it!
    Overdraft 1 = £0/£2,000
    Overdraft 2 = £0/£500
    VSP #58
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts