Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nagme wrote: »
    Oooh good thread.

Needs for January:
    Two new tyres for DH's car £250
    Car Tax for DH's car £170?
    Pay Excess for Physio £100
    Car Insurance for DH £400?

Wants but not Needs:
    Replacement rug for lounge - Have you tried Latch-Hook work? You can either get a kit with wool and stuff, or you can do the same thing with old sacking and rag ribbons. Google rag rugs for more ideas.
    Double glazing panes replaced (4 have steamed right up) - unsightly, but not even remotely high on the list...next year perhaps. Why not start a saving pot for it.
    New coat for DH (not in sale yet anyway) Aldi had some nice winter coats just before Xmas. Probably other shops have some end of lines.
    Hair dye.
    All magazines.
    Chocolate. Including Peanut M&Ms.Bag of peanuts and some decent chocolate. Make your own.
    Cakes Make.
    Biscuits Make
    Soft Drinks
    Alfa Romeo 147 in black with red leather. I want one but I don't neeeeed one. Cant help there unless you want a dinky toy version

Some suggestions above for you. Some of your 'wants' are actually reasonably do-able with a bit of ingenuity.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • MrsM1982
    MrsM1982 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Well I'm feeling quite pleased with myself, I had a £10 note in my purse on Monday and its still there :j

However, dd has a birthday party for twins on sat so that's 2 presents to buy, I have looked through her Christmas stuff to see if I could recycle anything but she's opened everything!

We've been invited to an indoor play centre tomorrow, it'll be about £10 so I'm debating whether to go or not?!?

Hope you all have a good day x
  • caitlineclair
    Options
    I want a McDonalds breakfast. Oh my days.
  • ninadam
    ninadam Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just read this thread.....and went straight on to my next account to cancel a few pending items that are definatly WANTS and not NEEDS :T:T:T
    The next sale makes me impulse buy ridiculously!

I need to food shop tomorrow but BF and i have put in £20 each so we have a £40 budget. Still have bits in from xmas and NY but havent done a full shop since fri 21/12.
    Its also my mums bday friday 11/1 so have got to think of something to get her.
    Otherwise im having a quiet weekend and stopping in watching all the things ive taped over xmas and NY! ;)

xx Nina XX
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    MrsM1982 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Well I'm feeling quite pleased with myself, I had a £10 note in my purse on Monday and its still there :j

However, dd has a birthday party for twins on sat so that's 2 presents to buy, I have looked through her Christmas stuff to see if I could recycle anything but she's opened everything!

We've been invited to an indoor play centre tomorrow, it'll be about £10 so I'm debating whether to go or not?!?

Hope you all have a good day x

It's amazing just how long cash can last when you aren't spending it isn't it? I try to always deal in cash now as it makes me 'tight' whereas a debitcard is just plastic money to me. Have you got a local facebook selling page? You may be able to pick up some local bargains there for the twins?

Well Done.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    ninadam wrote: »
    Ive just read this thread.....and went straight on to my next account to cancel a few pending items that are definatly WANTS and not NEEDS :T:T:T
    The next sale makes me impulse buy ridiculously!

I need to food shop tomorrow but BF and i have put in £20 each so we have a £40 budget. Still have bits in from xmas and NY but havent done a full shop since fri 21/12.
    Its also my mums bday friday 11/1 so have got to think of something to get her.
    Otherwise im having a quiet weekend and stopping in watching all the things ive taped over xmas and NY! ;)

xx Nina XX

That is fantastic.:T It really is such a simple thing but it makes you think. As I said above debit cards and catalogues are pretend money. If we handed over cash all the time I'm sure we wouldn't spend half as much.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • suze1_2
    suze1_2 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Hi 365days. What a great post!! I have been thinking about this for some time. I don't really need anything except the usual day to day necessities & yet I find myself surrounded with stuff & with debt :( I'm sure this forum/site will give some much needed support so I can finally sort myself out!! Look forward to reading more from you!
  • bubbles567
    Options
    I'm in for this thread too! I want a new garden fence a new kitchen and new bathroom as just a starter for 10!

However I NEED to get rid of this god awful debt I've somehow acquired with not a good want I can attribute to it!!!
  • bubbles567
    Options
    :think: I'm thinking even more about this now... and the question is why do we do it? IE... spend on stuff we don't need???? Does it ultimately make our lives richer? Ha no pun intended but the answer on both counts is NO!

Right pyscho babble over with..
  • sankeylindsey1977
    Options
    Brilliant thread. I've serioulsy got my debt clearing head on and today I decided I did not need my love film subscription, called them up and even when the guy tried downgrading it, I stood firm and said, No, I just want to cancel it. He offered me a payment break for 3 months and I stood firm again, No!! just cancel it! So £6.99 a month saved there.:T
    Also called Virgin and cancelled picturebox - saved £5 per month there - can only cancel whole pkg in 2 months, then i will move to primus or plusnet, this will save me approx £30 pm.:j
    I tried to downgrade at orange but I've done that once, however they gave me unliited minutes and an extra 750mb of data at no extra cost for being with them for over 5 yrs - kind of a result!!:beer:
    My next thing is to call vanquis and cancel any extras that i get charged on my card, i know there is one thing about £3 pm but not sure what it is!!
    I'm feeling positive about ridding myself of debt right now! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure