Need not Want.

Options

Comments

• Newyorkdreams
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I would LOVE to join in this thread. I had my LBM moment only 3 weeks ago and since then I have been doing a lot of thinking re 'needs' and 'wants'. I think I have lived my life (at least the last 10 years) in a consumer whirlwind. I bought too much when I wanted something believing that it would substantially improve my life if I had it. So 2013, is going to the year that I reverse this thinking! So here are some 'needs' and some 'wants' to get me started!
    - I want new trousers for work - I don't need them as I'm in the middle of losing weight and I have a wardrobe full of trousers in the next size down so they would be a waste of money for a few weeks wear
    - I want a new handbag as my current handbag is getting old - I don't need a new handbag, there is nothing wrong with the old one for work apart from me wanting to update my look!!!
    - I want to decorate my bedroom and the spareroom - I don't NEED to decorate them although they are looking a bit worn - could I wait a while until some of my debt is paid off?
    - I need to fix the bathroom ceiling- I must do this as the ceiling will rot if I don't!!!

This is starting to feel quite good!!! However, I do NEED to do 2 things in 2013:
    1) lose weight and
    2) reduce my debt

NYDx
    2019 goal
    0/£15000
  • julie2710
    julie2710 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    I've been thinking about raw ... can I ask what other things you give him?
    TIA:)

If you have a Morr*isons near, they have a huge selection of various things great for a raw diet & very cheap - unfortunately not one near me!:mad:

I just give him one meal of raw meat per day. He drinks water. He's a toy poodle so not very big. I give him 2 raw chicken wings, bones included first thing in the morning. I usually throw them outside and just leave him to get on with it. He's been really settled since I started him on the. He did have some lamb chops once. They were close to turning so didn't want to risk them for us!

He sleeps after his meal and, sorry to mention this, but his poo is tiny and mostly white. It doesn't smell and if you forget to clear it up it just goes into a white powder! My friend recommended raw meat for him as he used to get hyper and upset tummies in other food other than Caesar which is expensive! She pointed out that if a dog was in the wild they wouldn't go and raid a wheat field!

It works out cheap too. About £2 per week but I'm going to see if off cuts are even cheaper.
    MBNA [STRIKE]£2,029[/STRIKE] £1,145 Virgin [STRIKE]£8,712[/STRIKE] £7,957 Sainsbury [STRIKE]£6,870[/STRIKE] £5,575 M&S [STRIKE]£10,016[/STRIKE] £9,690 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£11,951[/STRIKE] £11,628 CTC [STRIKE]£7,629[/STRIKE] £6,789 Mortgage £[STRIKE]182,828[/STRIKE] £171,670
    LBM Dec12 excl mort 47,207/42,784 Dec13
    Excl mortg and CTC 39,578/35,995 Dec13
    Incl mortg 230,035/214,454 Dec13

Extra payment a week:this week £0 / YTD£1,457.55
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    julie2710 wrote: »
    I just give him one meal of raw meat per day. He drinks water. He's a toy poodle so not very big. I give him 2 raw chicken wings, bones included first thing in the morning. I usually throw them outside and just leave him to get on with it. He's been really settled since I started him on the. He did have some lamb chops once.

Ohhhhh sorry to mention but he won't be getting a balanced diet just from chicken wings - you have to feed a mixture of different meats/bones and must include Liver/Offal to ensure they get all the nutrients they need.

This is why I thought Morr*isons would be fab as they have such a selection.

I'm only just starting to look into it but it's getting the correct mix of different things that's worrying me.

There's some really good info on here http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/111437-raw-feeding-everything-you-need-know.html and links to other sites
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    So ... sig updated to show Needs not Wants .... hopefully that'll help keep me on track!
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Year All.

Interesting reading how people plan and organise their lives. Can't input on that I'm afraid as I am the most dis organised person I know. I know this contributes hugely to my financial woes and stress as I'm constantly looking for things I can't find. Maybe as I get rid of some more clutter (Un-needed wants!) I will be able to live all areas of my life more streamlined.
    Raw Food - Can you give dogs any raw bones. I don't normally shop in Morrisons but did the other day and spotted lots of 'bones'. Was going to treat the hound but not sure what the rules were. I thought chicken bones were a no no. May have to investigate.

So a day where I needed nothing and actually wanted nothing either. Ds is going to be the tricky one to change but he'll come on board I'm sure.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    365days wrote: »
    Raw Food - Can you give dogs any raw bones. I don't normally shop in Morrisons but did the other day and spotted lots of 'bones'. Was going to treat the hound but not sure what the rules were. I thought chicken bones were a no no. May have to investigate.

I'm still very much at the investigation stage and don't know masses about it yet .... the thing with bones is that they have to be raw - any cooked bone is a "no" (as they can splinter).

Have a read of the info on the pet forum link - there's a load of advice on there about how to start (you couldn't just decide one day to give the poor dog a whole pigs trotter or they'd probably get themselves into a bit of a state!:eek:)
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    So a day where I needed nothing and actually wanted nothing either. Ds is going to be the tricky one to change but he'll come on board I'm sure.

I am being seriously tempted ..... coffee machine thing on offer for £39 .... pods work out at about 47p * / serving but if I get a coffee at work (at least once / week but usually twice :o), they're £1.80 .... so that would save between £1.30 and £2.60 / week ... which would pay for the machine in say 20 weeks (going for middle ground) .....

* for the latte which I'd prob get - cheaper for plain coffee

*sigh*
  • 365days
    365days Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2013 at 6:52PM
    Options
    Lol at the coffee machine - see how many are on ebay and then you'll see if people hang onto them or get rid. Always loads on sale on my local second hand site. Pods are so expensive, faff of cleaning, another thing on the surface.

Were you thinking of taking machine to work??

ETA; Do you WANT a new one, or would a second hand one do?Thanks anyway because your post got me thinking of my cafetiere and just realised that I have coffee for that in cupboard so won't need coffee this week after all!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options

Absolutely. How big is the dog? If you're talking about labrador size, then you want a knuckle or forarm bone to be properly effective (preferably with the marabone intact). Canines use the bones as a means of strengthening their jaws, cleaning teeth etc. Many butchers are happy to part with bones too if you ask nicely. As Rising says, the bones should be uncooked and whole. They'll spend hours sucking and licking until its completely clean, but do remember to confine them to a room when they have the bone. They'll hide them for later given half a chance so dont forget about it.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • emmita
    emmita Posts: 715 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread - I want to join and review what I need month by month.
    So for jan I NEED:
    Road Tax £165
    Food
    Diesel
    1 roll of wallpaper
    1 birthday present for my Dad

Good luck everybody!
    MFW 2013 #146 Target £6000
    Sealed pot challenge 6 member #1663 / £167.76
    Sealed pot challenge 5 member #1663 / £153.19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors