Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

edited 16 January 2013 at 9:46AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
536 replies 67.5K views

Replies

• km1977km1977 Forumite
    29 Posts
    I have no microwave at work and cant find my food flask so am going to have to get a new one as I love soups and stews being on SW its a good way to have a really filling lunch without bread!
  • Candlewick wrote: »
    Evening everyone

EDIT

Florida2013, good luck with the savings there. I thought I was spending a lot when I spent a fiver!

Thank you! It does cover breakfast and lunch but its a stupid amount to spend!

I've been to the shops and bought some weetabix, decaf coffee and coffee mate, stuff for sandwiches and cans of coke. Now I just need to get up 10 mins earlier than usual and prepare it all :rotfl:
  • kittiejkittiej Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Florida, what about making up the night before? It would take a bit of pressure off in the mornings :)
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18 :)
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • kittiej wrote: »
    Florida, what about making up the night before? It would take a bit of pressure off in the mornings :)

That's a good idea. I'm a real fusspot though and wouldn't eat it if the bread was hard, but I guess it wouldn't be a problem if I sealed it.

Im thinking of having pasta tonight - perhaps if I make enough I can have it cold tomorrow instead of making a boring sandwich :)

When the kids are back at school life will be easier as my husband can make me a sandwich when he makes theirs.
  • 365days365days Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Not back at work yet but took a picnic with us for our day out today. Sausage rolls, cheese and cuc sandwiches, big bottle of squash and an apple each. I'm sure we would of ended up in a McDonalds or similar if we hadn't taken it.

Carrot salad looks lovely.

Bread mix (just add water) 55p at aldi. Nothing beats homemade bread.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pavlovs_dogpavlovs_dog Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need to pop to the shop to pick up lunch for the next week. I'll see what takes my fancy but I must remember to get some drinks - multipacks are sooo much cheaper!

if you like a really cold drink, I'd recommend Caprisun cartons. They freeze and defrost beautifully, we always use them instead of ice packs for picnics and I often take them for lunch during the warmer weather.

Usually on offer in the pound shops/ iceland
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • kittiejkittiej Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Thanks for the breadmix cost from Aldi 365 and very well done for staying out of maccy-dees.

Florida, what are you having with the pasta? It can stick together in one mass if you don't mix it with something :(

Top tip pavlovs :T

Aww km - that's a pity re the food flask, it's always so annoying when you just know you have something but can't quite locate it.
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18 :)
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • I was just going to use a red sauce or I could save some plain and mix it with pesto. What do you think?
  • edited 1 January 2013 at 6:23PM
    iwilldoitthistimeiwilldoitthistime Forumite
    517 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 1 January 2013 at 6:23PM
    can anyone tell me if I can freeze cooked pasta? Just saw the post from last night about making too many portions, and wondered if I could make this and freeze it, in readiness to microwave it at work the next day?

thanks x
    Sealed Pot no 2011 :D
  • pavlovs_dogpavlovs_dog Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    freezing pasta has very mixed reviews on the old style forums. I've never tried it myself. Some have said they don't like what it does to the texture once reheated.

Perhaps experiment with a small batch to see if it works for you?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides