wish lists for ebay

Options

Comments

• sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    Options
    aeb wrote: »
    I would like to have a flexible end time just like a real life auction so as to really get the highest possible final price. It would stop loads of bidders bidding in the last few seconds and wanting to put one more higher last second bid but not having time.

I saw it done on a holiday site once: An end time was set. If there was a bid 2 minutes before the end the auction ran for another 10 minutes, if there was another bid it ran for another ten minutes and so on. When there was no bid for 10 minutes the auction ended.

This method allowed bidders to think and decide whether to place one final bid - they don't miss out and the seller gets a bit more too - win, win!

I'd happily pay a small fee to have this ending, maybe the same fee as a buy-it-now.

I'd also thought of this previously, and can't see why they don't do it!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,311 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sharpy2010 wrote: »
    I'd also thought of this previously, and can't see why they don't do it!

I dont think many sellers would want it, I wouldn't.

Ebay is a proper auction site, not one like madbid that needs lots of bids as they make money on bids. As a seller it is my auction and I choose when to end it. My end times are carefully thought out and by stretching my end time it might leave me in a difficult position posting or wrapping wise. I also end my items so that for items that people may win more than one of I am available to send combined invoices.

For instance if I go on holiday I end my aucitons a full 8 days before I leave so I have time to do a full NPB before I go. With bodders effectively chossing the end time I might not be able to do that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »

Ebay is a proper auction site, not one like madbid that needs lots of bids as they make money on bids.
    Most of the 'proper' auction houses use extended bidding for online auctions. The difference is that all their lots will finish at the same time and all bidders are pre-registered.
    I bid on one auction some time ago that had a late bidding war, every late bid added an extra ten minutes, this ran for a few hours and they couldn't finalise all the bills until it had ended.
    If I remember rightly Ebay have the software to do it and, I think, use it on some site in the US but for the rest of Ebay it would be unworkable.
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    Options
    I don't agree with the suggestion that you could ban someone from bidding if they have had a the report a buyer button pressed on them. I know I have had this done to me accidentally (the seller told me and apologised)

The number of cases won't work either. For example, I buy about 70 items a month on eBay. I currently have 2 INR's and 2 SNAD cases running on my buying account due to rubbish sellers. Why should I be penalised for something that isn't my fault? I opened these cases after the sellers did not reply to my messages asking them to resolve the problems.
  • ChrisCar_2
    Options

Ebay is a proper auction site, not one like madbid that needs lots of bids as they make money on bids. As a seller it is my auction and I choose when to end it. My end times are carefully thought out and by stretching my end time it might leave me in a difficult position posting or wrapping wise. I also end my items so that for items that people may win more than one of I am available to send combined invoices.

So how do you make sure all bidders pay as soon as the auction finishes?
    I know how to get Buy It Now buyers to pay straight away, but not auctions.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,311 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 December 2012 at 6:55PM
    Options
    ChrisCar wrote: »

The payment bit doesn't bother me as much as I'll ship when they pay, but despite putting in my up auctions that I will combine p and p wherever possible if a buyer waits for an invoice before paying, I still get buyers paying for 3 things separately leaving me to sort out refunds.

So how do you make sure all bidders pay as soon as the auction finishes?
    I know how to get Buy It Now buyers to pay straight away, but not auctions.

You can't do any form of immediate payment required on auctions.

However, my point was that I get quite a few multiple purchases and set my listings to end a few minutes apart on those items I think may attract the same sort of buyer. That means I can be around when my auctions end and do a combined invoice before the buyer pays. I often go out of an evening, so if I am due to go out at say 8.15 I'll have everything end by 7.45 to give me time to do all my combined invoices before I go.

Payment doesn't bother me quite so much as I will just ship when buyer pays .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ChrisCar_2
    Options
    ChrisCar wrote: »

You can't do any form of immediate payment required on auctions.

That's what I thought.
    You had me thinking I'd missed a trick.
    My buyers usually ask for joint postage. If they don't, I just gave a refund if they pay too much.
    Easier for me. My going out times tend to be flexible - well apart from the inevitable last minute dash to the post.
  • bartelbe
    bartelbe Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Allow listing tools for free listing weekends. The current system is daft, why allow 100 free listings so people can clear out their stuff when no-one could possibly list that many things manually?

If ebay are worried about the market being flooded, only give people 50 free listings or even less.

If I could have one sneaky extra wish, end fee tripple dipping. Ebay charge you insertion fees, final value fees and paypal fees. End the paypal fees, and just have one final value fee.
  • bartelbe
    bartelbe Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aeb wrote: »
    I would like to have a flexible end time just like a real life auction so as to really get the highest possible final price. It would stop loads of bidders bidding in the last few seconds and wanting to put one more higher last second bid but not having time.

I saw it done on a holiday site once: An end time was set. If there was a bid 2 minutes before the end the auction ran for another 10 minutes, if there was another bid it ran for another ten minutes and so on. When there was no bid for 10 minutes the auction ended.

This method allowed bidders to think and decide whether to place one final bid - they don't miss out and the seller gets a bit more too - win, win!

I'd happily pay a small fee to have this ending, maybe the same fee as a buy-it-now.

That is a very good idea, I suspect that allot of auction sales are lost because many buyers not familar with ebay don't understand how to set up an ebay snipper. My parents and many of their friends wouldn't be able to do this.

You can use preset bids, but once again I suspect many people don't want to do this, try and guess the price that auction will end at. They want to be able to see other bids, and then decide whether to bid or not.

Basically I use the auction system as a c**p buy it now sale, with one stopping time. I simply list at the price I want and sell to one bidder. Which kind of defeats the point of an auction.

If the bid time was extended, buyers would know that they couldn't be snipped, they would have time to look at the bid and place a higher bid if they were willing to pay the price.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    1. It's completely pointless! As a seller, you can only leave positive.
    2. Why on earth should sellers rate buyers? When I go into Tesco I do not get told "You are a POSITIVE RATED shopper".
    3. Its a means for prospective dodgy sellers to build up a good looking feedback rating.
    4. Prevent NUMPTIES like 5930majk leaving feedback like these:- http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers&userid=5930majk&iid=-1&de=off&items=100
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure