wish lists for ebay

Options
soolin
soolin Posts: 72,254 Ambassador
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Just a silly post really, but if ebay said they would make one small change in 2013 what would you ask for? Lets assume they have already said they won't do a mass reduction in fees or do anything that breached UK law- so something small but actually possible.

I would like the ability to be able to print 2nd class postage via the site, rather than just 1st.

or maybe- and this might cause more problems than it solved. set up a very basic escrow system for collection only itemsso that money is released and was not recoverable once the buyer had been given time to check and use the item after collection. (EDIT: I can already see several flaws in that as an idea, but it is my wish list)
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• porto_bello
    porto_bello Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2012 at 11:10AM
    Options
    Close the Paypal/Collection/INR loophole scam by allowing sellers to specify only cash on collection

As I read Soolin's introduction to this thread, I immediately thought of this too.

Whilst eBay's representatives continue to talk endlessly of Trust and Safety, their continuing collusion in this well known and commonly operated scam demonstratively makes eBay untrustworthy and unsafe.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • soolin
    Options
    Close the Paypal/Collection/INR loophole scam by allowing sellers to specify only cash on collection

I think the problem with this one is, and that's why I was hesitant in putting it as my own wish, is that it is open to so much abuse.

You'll see every single item will become collection only, with the small print saying that they will send by courier for xx amount but will still refuse paypal. They would be able to amend invoices so paypal could not be used and a naive buyer (and we get lots of them on here) will send cash or a bank transfer and wait in vain for their goods.

If buyers used their common sense then this would work, but I think we all know that many buyers need protecting against themselves.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • plumface
    Options
    My wish is a total overhaul of the DSR system.
    I do not know how to solve it :rotfl:, but at the moment a few nasty/malicious/incorrect/mistaken star ratings can cause mayhem to a sellers account.
    Item as described:- Well it is either the item or not,why 5 different ratings?
    Communication:- Whats the point,if the seller and buyer do not communicate then you auto' get 5* ?
    Despach time:- We all know the buyer (in most cases) rates this as date item received. Even if a seller lists that the item will be sent in 2 weeks time, the buyer can mark them down.
    P&P:- Offer free p&p,auto' 5* stars,whats the point then?

So for 50% of the DSR system, a seller (dodgy or good) can use the system to automatically get 5*'s.
    How the hell does this give confidence to a buyer?
    Lose is to not win......Loose is not tight......get it right!
  • Rhymsta
    Rhymsta Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get fed up with having to edit buyer addresses.
    Why does eBay allow addresses all in caps or all lower case for example?
  • soolin
    Options
    Rhymsta wrote: »

Oh yes that's a good one, I'm fed up with having to correct addresses to print out.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed. Also if they actually checked the addresses with at least a postcode database that is compatible with Royal Mail and Parcelforce. It would iron out a lot of potential mistakes.
  • Sellers should have the options to set preferences to block buyers with -

1) Zero feedback and registered within last 7 days
    2) Have had 'Report buyer' raised against them in previous 6 months

When you started on ebay, what was your feedback? Just curious, as I'm pretty sure that I started with 0. It increased magically after I had won some auctions and paid for my wins! :D
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options

There's a lot of people in thise country who don't know how to write their address correctly. It's a very poor show!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Yep, that's why I added the proviso of 7 days since registration as the scammers want to be in and out within the hour before stolen CC has been stopped etc.

so you're looking for a "look but don't buy" period for newbies?

Plus not every bidder is a scammer. It may seem like it based on this board, but you don't tend to hear about the good transactions, only those which went pear-shaped.
  • As an option for sellers who are placing items which attracts scammers. I was selling such an item & was quick to cancel/block the bids from buyers who had registered that day. Not worth the aggro, as 99% likelihood they were scammers.

That's your prerogative... you can only surmise that they were scammers, and you'll never know for sure. But I can see your point :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure