PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

In my slow cooker today...

Options

Comments

• jlp123_2
    jlp123_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2010 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Its a recipe I made up myself but you are welcome to try it!

150g continental lentils
    50g red lentils
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    1 tin red kidney beans
    1 onion
    1 pepper
    1tsp garlic powder
    1tsp chili powder ( or to taste I have small children and this is about right for them!)
    1tbs paprika
    2 oxo cubes
    salt and pepper
    some tomato puree to thicken of needed.

I tend to cook it on low for most of the day and add a bit of water if it looks a bit thick.

Hope you like it!
  • jlp123_2
    jlp123_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to say I serve this with rice and it this feeds 5 of us ( 2 adults and 3 children) with enough left over for OH's dinner tomorrow. We eat quite big portions so might stretch further for those with normal size appetites!
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cottage pie. Just topped it with mash and cheese and it's now in the oven.
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    somerset chicken in mine today my daughters fav

chicken thighs

3 stalks celery

1 onion
    3 rashers bacon chopped
    2 eating apples peeled and sliced
    1/4 pt cider
    1/2 pt chicken stock

salt pepper sage

coat chicken in season flour melt butter and brown chicken in pan

remove add celery bacon and onion to pan and cook till soft and bacon brown

put celery onion bacon mix in slow cooker add sliced apple and then chicken

add tablespoon flour to juices in pan stir in cider and chicken stock bring to boil

pour over chicken etc in slow cooker

season with salt and pepper add some dry sage

cook 8 hrs very tasty
  • MrsT110309
    Options
    Carcass from roast chicken which was dinner and some ends and peelings from the veg, onion celery herbs and water making a stock, first time so not sure how it will turn out but thought I would try, Does anyone have any tips for storing the stock?
  • MushyPeas
    MushyPeas Posts: 3,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Beef stew... made so much though no room for dumplings!
    Previous debt: £14K :embarasse Debt free: Sept '03 :DMFW#42 Mortgage OP savings £4271.18/£12000 2019 :)Started dating OH Mar '12, married Oct '12, Walnut born Dec ' 12 :A SPC 12: 99 £38.05/£500 Make money Jan: £412.34/£310 :T Feb: £88.79/£280 May: £215.52/£310 June: £18.98/£300
  • miecherox
    miecherox Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    Tonight I have bacon ribs, yellow split peas, onion, carrot and seasoning. Will make a lovely meaty soup for tomorrow evening!
    #118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge
  • minjara
    minjara Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Well today I just made a sausage caserole with sauce, pork sausages, peas and barley. Had that with some mash and corn on the cob and I loved it. The OH just ate everything around the sauce as he wasn't keen on the barley in it. Oh well I know for next time. There is more left in there so will have some of that tomorrow.
  • Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sausage casserole for me too and delicious it was too. Onions, carrots, parsnip, peas, peppers, red wine, stock cube, whole grain mustard, s&p and a little cornflour to thicken at the end. Served with steamed potatoes.

However I cooked the sausages fully before putting in the SC - the amount of fat that comes out of them is something I don't want left in the casserole!
  • AllBuyMyself
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am about to join your ranks and I could not be more excited about it!

Have just ordered a slow cooker from Amazon, so should hopefully be cooking your way by the end of the week.

Bought a pineapple today and have some bargain organic chicken thighs in the freezer, so will probably kick things of with something involving those two.

Just need to search through the recipes now and sit on my hands for a few days!
    Sealed Pot Virtual Sealed Pot £365 in 365 days
    2010 Challenges:
    Pay off credit cards :rolleyes:
    Save towards a house deposit :j
    Lose 4 stone!!! _pale_[/FONT]
    January 2010 Grocery Challenge £75.92/£80 :rolleyes: (lost 7.5 pounds so far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport