PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

In my slow cooker today...

Options

Comments

• tdd111
    tdd111 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    jasmine33 wrote: »
    Hello. I'm always unsure about cooking vegetables in the SC. If I was doing a stew, would I need to parboil the veggie first?

i never par boil any veg i cut my veg according to how they would cook ie

swede takes ages to boil so i cut that smaller, potatoes break down so size depends on weather i want them to break down into my sauce or not,

each sc is different and i think u just tend to learn as u go along!:rotfl:
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Options
    well I have put a pork joint in there today, totally experimental. Kids have never had pork before and are already turning there nose up at it. I just want them to eat other meats rather than just chicken all the time lol.

Have put onions, pots, carrots and peas in with a cup of hot water, white sugar and as suggested a tablespoon of ketchup lol. Pork already has seasoning on it so didnt need to add any more. I was thinking of putting apples in but never cooked apples before and dont have cooking apples anyway.
    Hope it turns out ok :o
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • jlp123_2
    Options
    I've got a lentil chili in mine today - going down to the school this afternoon to try and clear the snow in the vague hope that school might open again tomorrow! Thought a chili would warm us all up again when we get back! Plus its OH favourote so I'm on to a winner there!
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a kind of bolognese in mine. Threw all sorts of bits and bobs in to use stuff up. I'm at work on a 12 hour shift soI put it on at 6.30 before I came out and it'll be lovely to have a nice hot meal waiting when I get in.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I then made dumplings to the recipe on the Atora Suet box (100g Flour, 50g Suet, pinch of salt and enough water to make a dough) But I cooked them seperately in a pan of simmering water for 20 minutes because I forgot to put them in the SC at the right time! My SC cookbook says to put dumplings in 2 hours from the end of cooking or "until risen and soft."

Thank you very much molly, I got my first sc for Christmas, (am loving it), and was looking for a dumplings recipe - your post tells me everything I need to know :T
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Spicy lentil soup in mine today (recipe courtesy of an MSE poster, sorry can't remember who).
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    sparrer wrote: »
    Thank you very much molly, I got my first sc for Christmas, (am loving it), and was looking for a dumplings recipe - your post tells me everything I need to know :T

When I've added dumplings to a SC, I've only ever affed them for the final 20 mins or so, just as I would a stove top or oven stew, and they've been fine.

Tip - if you don't have suet, try adding 2 tablespoons of cooking oil instead -the dumplings will have a yellow tinge, but they are very nice (and veg oil is better for you than the sat fats in suet)
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • poolygal
    poolygal Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Turkey "something" today - chopped turkey, leeks, onions, herbs, assorted other veg. Been on low since 1.30, not looking very cooked yet, might put it up to high in an hour or so if it's still looking raw.
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    LOL! :rotfl: Wrong link I'll dig out the right one and post that later :doh:

Thanks, that would be great. I liked mine last time, although I will cook for less time, as it was slightly overcooked imo. I would like to do one again soon, so am looking for ideas, as would like to try something different. :D
  • luce181
    luce181 Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    jlp123 wrote: »
    I've got a lentil chili in mine today - going down to the school this afternoon to try and clear the snow in the vague hope that school might open again tomorrow! Thought a chili would warm us all up again when we get back! Plus its OH favourote so I'm on to a winner there!

Mmm, sounds good, do you have the recipe I'd love to try it :D
    Addicted to MSE, I can't resist a bargain ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure