Cashback sites free cash discussion

Options

Comments

• barginfinder
    Options
    hi
    I just signed up with quidco, and to avoid any cookie problems plan to use a dedicated browser for any purchases via quido, I'm planing to use google chrome for this, has anyone experienced any tracking issues with google chrome?

Thanks
    I need a better signature
  • Halva
    Halva Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hello cashback gurus,

I have done a search on this but apologies if this comes up a lot. When you use a cashback site, does the postage you pay on your item qualify for cashback or just the base price of the item?

I am buying my husband a blu ray player for Christmas. Used the megashopbot to find the cheapest retailer.

Pixmania are the cheapest at 142.99 but their postage is a whopping £14.40.
    Laskys and Amazon come next at 152.97 with free postage.

On Topcashback, Pixmania gives 5.5%, while Laskys offers 3%.

I know the difference is likely to only be a couple of quid but I was curious about whether postage gets factored in.

Thanks!
    Halva
  • aristote33
    Options
    :confused:

I would be interested in hearing from anybody who has had troubles with links from cashback sites like Quidco and WePromiseTo.

The trouble is, when you click the "visit retailer" button, a new window or a new tab open with the web address redirecting towards the retailer's website, but the page will not download at all.

Just before posting this message, I tried on Quidco:
    - with Thorntons, the link towards Thorntons' website works fine
    - with Hostelbookers, the new tab opens and the window stays full white, nothing appears.
    - same with Boots...

Any clue on the reason for this? Is it something I need to do.

Thanks a lot.
  • monstermoo
    Options
    Hi

does anyone know a website which will give you cashback on a Topshop purchase
    c/c debt [STRIKE]£3845.55[/STRIKE]13/10/10
    £[STRIKE]3603.29[/STRIKE] 1/11/10 £338.54 1/1/11
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No and I've just checked it on the maximiser and it's not there.

Maximiser

Bx
  • pool-hustler
    Options
    i did the topcashback thing and my renewal went fro £300 to £900 lol.
    Yeah greaqt tip!! waht a pile of tripe!
  • pinksprout
    Options
    the TopCashBack website says "cashback between" 5% - 6.5%? Will it be 5% or 6.5% or some amount in between? Specifically I am referring to Merchant: HolidayCitySuperstore where I can earn between 5% - 6.5% for an online holiday booking. Other travel agents like Directline Travel and ulooubook.com also offer cashback so I am trying to work out which one to book through. The holiday is costing over £2,000 so 1% or even 0.5% makes quite a difference.

If a specific/precise % is listed (eg 4% for DirectlineTravel) is this amount guaranteed? I know sometimes payments don't come through at all, but assuming I do get the cashback will it definitely be 4% or can the merchant or TopCashBack reduce the % after I have purchased? At what point is the actual cashback percentage confirmed? As far as I can see when I use TopCashBack to link to the HolidayCitySuperstore or DirectlineTravel website it looks the same as when I access the website direct.

Sorry for these very basic questions that have probably been covered before, but I have (clearly!) never used a cashback site before so at the moment it's all a little confusing.

Thanks.
  • mateypeeps
    Options
    pinksprout wrote: »
    the TopCashBack website says "cashback between" 5% - 6.5%? Will it be 5% or 6.5% or some amount in between? Specifically I am referring to Merchant: HolidayCitySuperstore where I can earn between 5% - 6.5% for an online holiday booking. Other travel agents like Directline Travel and ulooubook.com also offer cashback so I am trying to work out which one to book through. The holiday is costing over £2,000 so 1% or even 0.5% makes quite a difference.

If a specific/precise % is listed (eg 4% for DirectlineTravel) is this amount guaranteed? I know sometimes payments don't come through at all, but assuming I do get the cashback will it definitely be 4% or can the merchant or TopCashBack reduce the % after I have purchased? At what point is the actual cashback percentage confirmed? As far as I can see when I use TopCashBack to link to the HolidayCitySuperstore or DirectlineTravel website it looks the same as when I access the website direct.

Sorry for these very basic questions that have probably been covered before, but I have (clearly!) never used a cashback site before so at the moment it's all a little confusing.

Thanks.

I had a look and it looks like one of the many merchants that give TopCashBack(TCB) more money for the month IF they get more than a threshold number of members using the holiday site via TCB.

So TCB cannot predict how many will use the link so cannot promise what the merchant will pay them.

They do promise to pass on all that the merchant pays, some cashback sites just tell you 5% and keep the 1.5% if they are lucky enough to qualify for the extra incentive for their traffic.
  • mateypeeps
    Options
    busybee100 wrote: »
    No and I've just checked it on the maximiser and it's not there.

Maximiser

Bx

I tried http://www.smartcashback.co.uk/index.php which has more cashback sites to chose from, but TOPSHOP is NOT listed on there either.
  • pinksprout
    Options
    mateypeeps wrote: »
    I had a look and it looks like one of the many merchants that give TopCashBack(TCB) more money for the month IF they get more than a threshold number of members using the holiday site via TCB.

So TCB cannot predict how many will use the link so cannot promise what the merchant will pay them.

They do promise to pass on all that the merchant pays, some cashback sites just tell you 5% and keep the 1.5% if they are lucky enough to qualify for the extra incentive for their traffic.

Thanks for that information mateypeeps, so I can count on 5% cash back from HolidayCitySuperstore and maybe get more ...

Do you know at what stage in the booking the actual cashback percentage is confirmed or will that only show up after a day or more when I can see the transaction and track it? Please forgive my lack of understanding but I can book this holiday for slightly less money though a non-cash back related Travel Agent so before I effectively pay more (on the basis that the cash back refund will make it cheaper in the long term) I just want to be clear about exactly how much cash back I should be entitled to.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure