Who is using Windows 8?

Options

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lum wrote: »
    Actually it's more like the kettle is half price, and the filter is free and with it the kettle then makes tea almost as good as the full price kettle. Or you can get a third party filter that is then just as good as the full price kettle and the overall package still works out cheaper.

Oh and the silly kettle also boils water faster, so the end result is better than paying the higher price for the previous model. If you're prepared to deal with a one-off faff with the filters.

Honestly, it's less hassle than some of the hoops people jump through on these forums with coupons and clubcard voucher stacking and so on.
    You certainly jumped through some hoops to come up with that one...

But you forgot the bit where the kettle is a bloody ugly monstrosity.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The appearance is an entirely subjective thing. I'm currently running a more colourful theme, that does not require a hacked uxtheme.dll to use, Yes the transparency is gone, but I always found that made menubars and so on a bit harder to read anyway so it really doesn't bother me.

The taskbar is transparent though.
  • prowla
    Options
    The appearance is an entirely subjective thing. I'm currently running a more colourful theme, that does not require a hacked uxtheme.dll to use, Yes the transparency is gone, but I always found that made menubars and so on a bit harder to read anyway so it really doesn't bother me.
    The taskbar is transparent though.
    Yup - another example of the inconsistencies:
    • Taskbar is semi-transparent, but window borders aren't.
    • Windows menu fonts are one size, but the pull-left menu from the right edge of the screen is a different typeface and size.
    • Windows apps run in windows on the desktop, but homepage apps run in a single full-screen mode (eg. the PDF viewer).
    It is trying to be two things at the same time, and it's all a bit cack-handed.
  • booler
    booler Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    Except Windows 8 is the next version and it's a bit daft of them to have crippled it in the way they have.
    I think you are missing my point. I think M$ could produce a superb operating system any time they like. I mean they have been doing this for thirty years. The problem is that if they do produce a definitive system then no one will want to upgrade to the next one.

It's all about building things with "features" that make people want to get rid of them eventually. It is just Capitalism. Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away!
    "Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett
  • booler
    Options
    Incidentally they don't mention Windows 8 here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/history

I wonder if there is a message in this?
  • booler
    Options
    Sorry, but I have no solution to this problem. I only want to join the chorus and add to the pressure against Microsoft. Especially I find their non-answer about the bug being 'as designed' an offence against our intelligence.
    .... the latest quote in this thread.
  • prowla
    Options
    booler wrote: »
    I think you are missing my point. I think M$ could produce a superb operating system any time they like. I mean they have been doing this for thirty years. The problem is that if they do produce a definitive system then no one will want to upgrade to the next one.

It's all about building things with "features" that make people want to get rid of them eventually. It is just Capitalism. Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away!
    Sure, I was with you there, but my point was that this release is a backward step, so it is a disincentive to upgrade and thus the master plan has gone off the rails a bit.
  • booler
    Options
    I don't think so. Apart from the fact that all new PCs are shipped with it many people upgrade because they want to stay up to date.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 December 2012 at 12:32PM
    Options
    Late breaking news as a Windows hater, I have found one redeeming feature.
    What is it you may ask?
    Well its the Norad Tracks Santa Windows 8 app, installed and counting down to the great day, (Mayan apocalypse having been averted).

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/

Ho Ho Ho
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • JABWootton
    Options
    Windows 8 is designed for Touchscreen hardware.
    Will wait for Windows 9 (Metropolis) to come out in August Next year
    Windows 8 being touted as Vista's big brother.
    And MS are already preparing a Service Pack issue in Jan 2013 due to issues with drivers and security issues with installed software
    What people don't realise is that if you strip back W8 you get software that is not much better than W7.
    W7 was a big big leap from Vista which works.
    W8 is a side step which does not improve much.
    The only people who will notice a difference are thise migrating from XP or Vista who have not tried W7.

If you want a laugh, go into a PCWorld shop ask them if you can downscale from a W8 machine to W7. They dont know and tell you to contact the manufacturer to confirm. Even when you havent bought a machine.

Dell are the only ones I believe allow you to downscale to W7.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure