Changes to Reward and Ultimate Reward Accounts

Options

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    If Halifax do the £100 switching incentive again at the beginning of next year as is rumoured

That would be nice but with my luck the timing will be wrong for me!
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps .... 2 direct debits set up to be able to keep a reward account
    2 direct debits PAID OUT to receive the fiver?

Which straightaway disallows two of my direct debits - council tax and water, both of which are only paid, IIRC, 10 months a year :mad:
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2012 at 9:27PM
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    Which straightaway disallows two of my direct debits - council tax and water, both of which are only paid, IIRC, 10 months a year :mad:

Which means you'll still get at least £40 per year from the account from the eight months when both are paid.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    Which means you'll still get at least £40 per year from the account from the eight months when both are paid.

True - but I prefer Gordon Gecko's philosophy, greed is good :rotfl:
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are greedy enough, you will easily find a way to realise the full £60 per account per year. Like the rest of us greedsters.
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Options
    Here's a question -

You require 2 direct debits on the account to qualify. No problem as i have plenty on mine & the wife has plenty on hers. Job done.

However then there's the joint account.

Moving away from having to shift "real" D/Ds. I'm wondering - would 2 Tesco direct debits qualify you for this (the same Tesco savings being used for say, the Lloyds TSB Vantage 4% qualification)?

If the answer is yes, then the next question is - what is the smallest amount you can switch/direct debit each month? £1? £0.50? £0.01?
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say no as apparently the DD originator number must be different.

However, nothing stopping you from setting up a Tesco Savings and a Nationwide mySave account for £1 each. You could probably do 10p each, but might cause suspicions and get the accounts suspended maybe. Think of it like £24 towards next Christmas :)
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Gromitt wrote: »
    I'd say no as apparently the DD originator number must be different.

However, nothing stopping you from setting up a Tesco Savings and a Nationwide mySave account for £1 each. You could probably do 10p each, but might cause suspicions and get the accounts suspended maybe. Think of it like £24 towards next Christmas :)
    If you can make the DD run automatically every month from those savings accounts to meet the new t&c then why not have them pull over £2.50 each so the fiver is collected :)
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Options
    Ah i forgot about the originator number - thanks for reminding me.

So it'd have to be 1x Tesco & 1x MySave then. This would be perfectly fine for our joint account, as our main accounts are covered.

However it's different for my sister & brother. They don't have any DDs whatsoever as they don't pay any bills as such, so they're starting from scratch for all accounts.

They have a solo each & a joint, purely for the £60, nothing else.

1x Tesco & 1x MySave would cover their main accounts, which would leave their joint account hanging - requiring 2 DDs itself.

I can imagine they could use 1x Tesco on it (as it's a separate account from their solo), but with them both using up a MySave account for the main solo account, what would you advise to be the 2nd DD on their joint account? Can't use MySave as it'll be used on their solo each.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I'm going to close both my URCA and my Reward in May and go to the Co-op.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure