Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• kungfuman
    kungfuman Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any one have any recommendations for a courier service to send a high value single hifi speaker (worth about £1000) within the UK Mainlan? it is a big and heavy boxed unit measuring 70cm x 58cm x 65cm and weighing 50kg. Parcel2go and parcelhero are quoting reasonable prices (£80-£100) but should they be avoided?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kungfuman wrote: »
    Any one have any recommendations for a courier service to send a high value single hifi speaker (worth about £1000) within the UK Mainlan? it is a big and heavy boxed unit measuring 70cm x 58cm x 65cm and weighing 50kg. Parcel2go and parcelhero are quoting reasonable prices (£80-£100) but should they be avoided?

couriers are not really my thing, so others will be able to advise you properly. However, parcel2go and parcel hero are not couriers, they are third party sellers so you are using a middle man which can put an extra layer of red tape in if things go wrong. You will need to check not only the terms and conditions of the third party, but also the terms and conditions of the actual courier to ensure you are fully covered. Speakers are one area that requires a careful read of what you are actually insured for as quite often they will not be covered against damage at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should see if it is cheaper to secure it on a pallet. There are plenty of websites that will give you a good price on pallet delivery. The problem is that it is more reliant on distance than couriers. However it should be handled a bit safer.

Failing that I would see if a man and van will do it. If you use a website like shiply.com there might be someone already going in the general direction you want and so might be able to do it cheaper than what you'd normally pay.

Problem using Parcel2go etc... is that you get £25 standard compensation. To upgrade it to £1000 will cost a fortune and you need to check the terms to see if speakers are covered. Also they are only as good as the actual courier who carries it. A lot of these courier firms throw parcels around as they don't have the time to carefully move it.
  • polucas
    polucas Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 10 April 2018 at 2:58PM
    Options
    I was looking for a courier to send 2 regular boxes (10kg) from UK Mainland to Spain. I found that DPD has a 'DPD local' service which is totallt affordable, but then I realised that the service is actually Parcel2go, which has quite a few negative reviews on the forum here. On the other hand, DPD is a respectable company - I was wondering if people have used the DPD local service? Does that guarantee my package will be sent to Spain via normal DPD service?

Also, most couriers offer to pick-up the package from home, what is a pain cause I'm working regular hours. How is it possible that if I go to UPS website myself I can't select to drop my parcel at their access point, but I do see that option when suing P4D? Do all couriers offer options to drop the parcel at their point?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    polucas wrote: »
    I was looking for a courier to send 2 regular boxes (10kg) from UK Mainland to Spain. I found that DPD has a 'DPD local' service which is totallt affordable, but then I realised that the service is actually Parcel2go, which has quite a few negative reviews on the forum here. On the other hand, DPD is a respectable company - I was wondering if people have used the DPD local service? Does that guarantee my package will be sent to Spain via normal DPD service?

The service isnt Parcel2go. They are your booking agent.
    Does DPD have a Spanish operation? Or do they pass onto a different courier in Spain?
  • polucas
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    The service isnt Parcel2go. They are your booking agent.
    Does DPD have a Spanish operation? Or do they pass onto a different courier in Spain?

Does that mean that when they are delivering the package or if there's any issues with it, will I be able to speak directly to DPD or I have to do everything through Parcel2go?

I don't see a spanish DPD website so I assume they pass it onto another courier in Spain. I hope that since it's Barcelona, there won't a problem on that side...

Many thanks for answer
  • custardy
    Options
    polucas wrote: »
    Does that mean that when they are delivering the package or if there's any issues with it, will I be able to speak directly to DPD or I have to do everything through Parcel2go?

I don't see a spanish DPD website so I assume they pass it onto another courier in Spain. I hope that since it's Barcelona, there won't a problem on that side...

Many thanks for answer

You go through P2G,thats the whole point of a booking agent.
    My point is you are banking on DPD service levels but all they will do is take it to the airport.

This is from 2013

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/dpd-interlink-spain-791008/
  • polucas
    Options
    Many thanks @custardy

Anyone can give me some advice on the second question:
    Most couriers offer to pick-up the package from home, what is a pain cause I'm working regular hours. How is it possible that if I go to UPS website myself I can't select to drop my parcel at their access point, but I do see that option when suing P4D? Do not all couriers offer options to drop the parcel at their location?
  • Suzveitch
    Options
    I sent some drinking glasses to Northern Ireland on 8th March. By 16th April, they still haven't arrived. I've been told they have been damaged in transit, but neither I nor the recipient have seen them so I have no photographs to claim compensation.
    Despite my request for the parcel to still be delivered, it is meant to be on it's way back to me. However that was over two weeks ago...

No phone number or address on website. Only contact is via a web chat which you can't download as evidence of what you were told.

Avoid despite the price!
  • custardy
    Options
    Suzveitch wrote: »
    I sent some drinking glasses to Northern Ireland on 8th March. By 16th April, they still haven't arrived. I've been told they have been damaged in transit, but neither I nor the recipient have seen them so I have no photographs to claim compensation.
    Despite my request for the parcel to still be delivered, it is meant to be on it's way back to me. However that was over two weeks ago...

No phone number or address on website. Only contact is via a web chat which you can't download as evidence of what you were told.

Avoid despite the price!

Thats great,if only you told us the company.
    Parcel2go are a broker.
    what are you saying you were told that isnt true?
    So Im betting glass isnt covered and many couriers wont carry broken glass for H&S reasons.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback