Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• wantnomoneyworries
    Options
    I have searched all the couriers to find a price to send a package to Guatemala - the cheapest is from a company called We Send Parcels - as it is about £20 cheaper than any others I am a bit wary and wondered if anyone had used them before?
    (it says using DHL domestic express)
    TIA
  • BobbyTheHamster
    Options
    Hermes Again. Expensive item from Ideal World. Waited in all day, and then tracking reported "failed delivery" at 4pm. See if I get it tomorrow, Very hard to get in contact with Hermes.

First thing I've bought from Ideal. On some items they now offer collect from ASDA, and I won't buy anything from them again if its by courier. Anything I get from ebay, I also try to collect from Argos. We have Amazon Prime, and we have never had an issue with Amazon

(My first post!) aaah.

And an update. It arrived today.:) The courier said she just couldn;t get it done yesterday. As others have said, "failed delivery" can apparently mean anything, Frustrating to wait in all day and the delivery fail. Anyway, all good, and the product just what I wanted, so it won't be going back.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have searched all the couriers to find a price to send a package to Guatemala - the cheapest is from a company called We Send Parcels - as it is about £20 cheaper than any others I am a bit wary and wondered if anyone had used them before?
    DHL Domestic doesn't sound right...

Probably too late for you now, but anyway... When sending overseas you should start by comparing prices directly with the major couriers, paying particular attention to any surcharges applied based on the destination - these won't be included in any quote from comparison sites but you'll get billed for them later.

In my experience comparison services tend to struggle with overseas addresses, last time I tried they "corrected" the address to one 600km away (Parcel Monkey). After a day of trying to get them to book it correctly I gave up, got my money back and booked direct with DHL, no issues at all.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TIA

I don't know if it's similar but I used one called Impact Express when sending something to the US once. It turned out their service was a combination of a Hermes delivery to the DHL depot at East Midlands Airport, from where DHL took it to the destination and the reason they were cheaper than booking via DHL was it was transported economy using Hermes to the UK Airport, opposed to using a DHL express service.
  • Mancpool
    Options
    Sorry for the long post, but...

Please, DO NOT USE parcel hero. Or Hermes, for that matter.

Used Hermes via these for 2 parcels. Both lost.
    One was for £8 in Oct (Sky HD box). Showed them an invoice for the eBay sale. Claim accepted and paid (£16 in total £8 item + £8 postage).

Sent an iPhone 6S a few weeks ago, which I, again, sold on eBay. Again, it was lost.

Parcel Hero say they cannot accept the eBay sales invoice (funny that, considering they did for the last one that was lost), and an original purchase invoice is required. Phone was sold for £181, and I insured for £180. Paid Parcel Hero over £12 to deliver (£6 odd postage + £6 insurance).
    Sent them photos of the item (packaging/phone condition/serial number). Proof of eBay sale. Nope. Can’t accept. They can only insure the item for what was PAID, not what it was sold for. Fine for me, I paid way much more.
    But.
    My phone was part of a contract upgrade 2 years ago, so an invoice will show I paid £29.99 for it, but the handset cost was included in the monthly contract payment. They’re saying I only paid £29.99 for it, when, in fact, it was over £600.

Ridiculous.

Also, say you wheeled and dealed. Bought things for cheap then sold for a profit. Nope, you’re not (fully) covered. You’ll get what you paid for the item. Not what it was sold for. Be vary careful here.

Thankfully my phone is worth more than I’m claiming for, but still they refuse to accept. Saying original receipt needed ( something I don’t have).

Even though I insured the phone for what I received, they won’t cough up. Trying to dodge paying for it. While I’m out of pocket almost £200 (buyer refunded) they just refuse and state their terms and conditions state what I’m covered for.

Sorry, but there is no LEGAL basis which entities them to determine what to pay. I insured the phone for what I received for it. They (their courier) lost it. Evidence has been provided to show what was sent, and how much it’s worth. Regardless of how much I paid for it, I am now worse off as a result, due to this loss (no phone and no sale money).

Some people have said they didn’t insure their item with these, and got nothing. Well, I DID, and still get nothing.

Parcel Hero just think they can get away with this. Wrong.

They are now aware, since yesterday, they have 14 days until either a MCOL or small claims is registered against them.

THAT is why you shouldn’t use PH.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mancpool wrote: »
    Sorry for the long post, but...

Please, DO NOT USE parcel hero. Or Hermes, for that matter.

Used Hermes via these for 2 parcels. Both lost.
    One was for £8 in Oct (Sky HD box). Showed them an invoice for the eBay sale. Claim accepted and paid (£16 in total £8 item + £8 postage).

Sent an iPhone 6S a few weeks ago, which I, again, sold on eBay. Again, it was lost.

Parcel Hero say they cannot accept the eBay sales invoice (funny that, considering they did for the last one that was lost), and an original purchase invoice is required. Phone was sold for £181, and I insured for £180. Paid Parcel Hero over £12 to deliver (£6 odd postage + £6 insurance).
    Sent them photos of the item (packaging/phone condition/serial number). Proof of eBay sale. Nope. Can’t accept. They can only insure the item for what was PAID, not what it was sold for. Fine for me, I paid way much more.
    But.
    My phone was part of a contract upgrade 2 years ago, so an invoice will show I paid £29.99 for it, but the handset cost was included in the monthly contract payment. They’re saying I only paid £29.99 for it, when, in fact, it was over £600.

Ridiculous.

Also, say you wheeled and dealed. Bought things for cheap then sold for a profit. Nope, you’re not (fully) covered. You’ll get what you paid for the item. Not what it was sold for. Be vary careful here.

Thankfully my phone is worth more than I’m claiming for, but still they refuse to accept. Saying original receipt needed ( something I don’t have).

Even though I insured the phone for what I received, they won’t cough up. Trying to dodge paying for it. While I’m out of pocket almost £200 (buyer refunded) they just refuse and state their terms and conditions state what I’m covered for.

Sorry, but there is no LEGAL basis which entities them to determine what to pay. I insured the phone for what I received for it. They (their courier) lost it. Evidence has been provided to show what was sent, and how much it’s worth. Regardless of how much I paid for it, I am now worse off as a result, due to this loss (no phone and no sale money).

Some people have said they didn’t insure their item with these, and got nothing. Well, I DID, and still get nothing.

Parcel Hero just think they can get away with this. Wrong.

They are now aware, since yesterday, they have 14 days until either a MCOL or small claims is registered against them.

THAT is why you shouldn’t use PH.

Just wondering why you did not send them via Ebay Shutl?

You seemed to have paid more to send them by Parcel Hero?
  • Mancpool
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Just wondering why you did not send them via Ebay Shutl?

You seemed to have paid more to send them by Parcel Hero?

I had credit on my PH account.
    33333 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 1:03AM
    Options
    Can anyone recommend any cheap couriers / courier-agents similar to those in the UK such as parcelsplease, parcel2go etc. for sending parcels from the US to UK?

I'm not after re-import services, as those tend to be quite a bit more expensive rather than genuine couriers-services cheaper than USPS / UPS / Fedex from US to UK?

Parcelmonkey has a dead link on their website for a US sister website which seems never having taken off ground.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Parcel specs: low value, below UK VAT import threshold, approx dims 30x25x25cm, weight approx <1.5kg
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    33333 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any cheap couriers / courier-agents similar to those in the UK such as parcelsplease, parcel2go etc. for sending parcels from the US to UK?

I'm not after re-import services, as those tend to be quite a bit more expensive rather than genuine couriers-services cheaper than USPS / UPS / Fedex from US to UK?

Parcelmonkey has a dead link on their website for a US sister website which seems never having taken off ground.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Parcel specs: low value, below UK VAT import threshold, approx dims 30x25x25cm, weight approx <1.5kg
    USPS seem to want USD51.50 to send a box that size with their First Class International service. Unless you can find something considerably cheaper than that, is it worth sending an under 15 Pound item at all?
    33333 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I was slightly misled by other sellers of the same type of item offering International Shipping through Ebay's Global Shipping program in the region of $14-15 - hence thought, even though International Shipping wasn't specified, it would cost similar. With the USPS calculator the best bet is usually weight based as otherwise it becomes extortionally expensive. Currently the seller quotes me just below $40, however even outside the Global Shipping program some other sellers (again of the same type of item) offer First or Priority International shipping below $30, hence it must be possible. Re: worth it - relative, would be nice to have it, particularly as it was won below the VAT-threshold and some other offerings of that item go for 3 times the price (not that it is worth that much..).
    So if anyone could come up with the equivalents of UK's P2GO, parcelplease and the likes for the US that would be fab!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback