Monument Credit Card

Options

Comments

• Wiggynut
    Wiggynut Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hammerette wrote: »
    Reclaiming credit card charges are unaffected. There is no change for those reclaiming credit card fees, the article below explains how to do it.

urgh :mad:
    this card is why I started the whole reclaim charges in the first place as the charges are down to them and not me! (long tedious story - it's listed below!)

Does this depend on the judge - what court were you at! (I hope the Bromley judge is not so lazy!) easy job for judges... turn up say 'stay' then go home and get paid a lot of money!

I've been trying to deal with monument now for 2.5 years! and they completely ignore me & my letters & they put the phone down on me when I call so what do I do...??? I'm not going to pay them this £500... the amount on my card has not gone down in 2.5 years either despite paying larger amounts and now a 'payment' option.. the interest is the same as what I pay!

Have you noticed how there arn't any success stories with monument! people have accepted part claims only!
    :grouphug: well...guess it's not over yet anyway!
    Keep going and let me know what happens next!:o
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    hammerette wrote: »
    Reclaiming credit card charges are unaffected. There is no change for those reclaiming credit card fees, the article below explains how to do it.

After reading the above statement on this site, I was expecting a result one way or another today.
    A person representing Monument Credit card( part of Barclays) advised me before going into the judges chambers they were going to ask for a STAY
    I advised that this should not be, due to the fact it was not a bank case and
    that credit card cases were not affected by the test case.
    We were in chambers all of two minutes Judge was not at all interested in this statement and advised that credit card charges will also be addressed in the test case. I was then told I would receive a document in a couple of days to explain and then was excused.
    I came out feeling really demotivated. So I guess I now just wait, does the interest keep building though or is that put on hold aswell

What a bummer. I knew the credit card companies would try using the case aswell.

Sounds like you had a poor judge. I hope thats all it was, as Barclays defended my Barclaycard claim, and its just been transferred to my local court.
  • kingie67
    kingie67 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I have gone through so many threads highlighting the apparent difficulty to reclaim from Monument. This follows my first two letters to them requesting statements (subject access request). Absolutely no word from them. Now there are stories that they have been taken over!

Can anybody advise how to deal with the claims to Monument in these circumstances? Also, does anybody have a contact telephone number for their call centre. I would like to attempt to phone them before going to the Information Commisioner stage
  • shoe_2
    shoe_2 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    HI Wiggynut,
    sorry not been on for a while been on my hols and my computer broken just before my depature !!!!!!!!
    well sounds like we are still in the same postion i have heard nothing so i think i need to start to prepare all the paparwork for court now!!!!!
    well for the court process i have not got a clue so if you have any tips and ideas that would be great !
  • Lady_Sylar
    Options
    I am claiming charges against my credit card company - Monument. I am nearly at the end of the case and just got a letter back from the court today - general form of judgement or order, it says that my claim is pending resolution of "test cases in high court". What the hell?? I thought it was just banks charges that are put on hold. Well I phoned the court and they said to write to them and explain that credit card reclaiming is unaffected, but they should already know this yes?
    So what do I write and who to, does anyone know?
    Please help!!
  • Wiggynut
    Wiggynut Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    shoe wrote: »
    HI Wiggynut,
    sorry not been on for a while been on my hols and my computer broken just before my depature !!!!!!!!
    well sounds like we are still in the same postion i have heard nothing so i think i need to start to prepare all the paparwork for court now!!!!!
    well for the court process i have not got a clue so if you have any tips and ideas that would be great !

Hi Shoe - hope you had a nice holiday!

No I havn't heard anything either - except someone went to court and got their case 'stayed'... so it's happening to credit cards now not just bank accounts!!! :cry:
    I really wanted the end of this card - don't sew why I should pay all these charges when I was only two days late - one charge or two but £500 worth?!??! there is a two sided contract and they failed on their part on a massive scale.. .ignored letters, put the phone down on me.. didn't send statement... gave me the wrong balance as they told me I was under my limit not over!!! I just can't prove it so I have to go down this route!

I'm wondering if I should transfer the balance of Monument card to my new credit card as the transfer rate is only 4.2% compaired to Monuments massive rate plus I don't trust Monument as they charge an ANNUAL charge twice a year!! and I never know what they are going to do next - plus if you added up all the payments I've paid so far it's nearly what I owed them in the first place yet the balance hasn't dropped in 2.5 years! :mad:

I have got the cheque for Capital one though :T put it in the bank this morning £278 incl interest & court cost! yah - one good result.

It's less than a month away for the court date :eek: so I will have to find out what the court bundle is...
    good luck and keep me posted!
    Light bulb moment April 07: [strike]£3,655 [/strike] Oct 07: [strike]£2,220[/strike] now 0 - 3 years of Uni debt to be added at a later date :o:D
    now at Uni as a Mature student -update: now has a First Class BA!
  • dave_d_7
    dave_d_7 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Monument credit cards are Barclays "credit builder" accounts aimed at people with terrible/zero credit ratings - sorry if that offends anyone with a Monument account, but that was how the account was originally marketed.

That's also why the APR is criminal and the service terrible.

The reason why there is not much online presence for this account, apart from forums, is that providing online servicing wouldn't be cost effective as the majority of their customers don't have a computer.

Barclays bought the portfolio of accounts from the american bank Providian, when Providian pulled out of the UK. Having failed to make any money from these accounts, Barclays have flogged them off to an American firm called CompuCredit. Barclays are keeping the best accounts for itself, by giving those customers a Barclaycard.

If you're waiting for late payment charge refunds etc, chase them up quick before the take over goes through.
    yes but barclys are moveing accounts to there sister companys they did it to me they moved it to skycard when its in dispute
  • dave_d_7
    dave_d_7 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    when barclys are moveing accounts that are in dispute mine went to skycard
  • shoe_2
    shoe_2 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Wiggynut
    i am also going to start looking at the court bundle now but i have not got a clue ???keep me up dated.x
    good luck.x
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what about the people like me who already requested the charges before the sale and Monument wasted time by saying 'we will get back to you'?

my case is with the Ombudsman and even they can't get an answer out of Monument.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure