We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

'So what happened to the new site Martin?' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• Kernowek
    Options
    Well, I'm no fan of fixed width, but if you're going with it then making it central is a lot better than left-aligned (can't tell from the screenshot whether you've already done it that way).

But whatever you do, don't trap the forums within a fixed width table - please!
  • cliff57
    Options
    Stick with the old I may not unsubscibe if you dont BUT I wouldnt have opted in if thats what I had first seen:
  • sharon_burgess
    Options
    i love the new look ,looks easier to look around on ,i hope you go ahead with it.
    sharon
  • madnis7
    madnis7 Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just my 2 pennies. I really like to look of the first "new"one and it seemed that functionality wise everything was where it should be. I was actually really excited with the new look. this one seem to have things more cluttered around a lot, which i always found to be the problem with the currrent site. The colurs are nice if a little female orientated. Ithink the Forum should be better represented as it seems for most to be the main crux of the site. On both designs its been under represented. I like the not to miss portlet on the front. I think that the free to use non-commercial stuff should be bigger. AAs for people complaining that its too commericial looking, Pha. Should we be comprimising functionality and ease of use, just so the site still looks a bit crap. If you are wanting to get younger people involved in this site and in MS in general then a more "Commercial" look is exactley whats needed.

I don't mean to rant but i just can't see what the problem is with having a really professional looking site. The commercial people have great looking sites beacause they work and make them more user friendly.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just had a look at the intended new format & it does look very user friendly & welcoming to me. It's the kind of site that if I'd stumbled across it by accident & didn't have time to have a look around then, I'd bookmark it to come back to later.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,

The forum button is a little bigger than the image shows (as noted this was a conceptual design) - yet let me correct the idea that the forum is the most used part of the site

3 million people use the site each month
    1.1 million get the email
    The forum has about 500,000 visitors
    and less than 200,000 posters

While it is a VERY important part of the site, the main site still carries the vast majority of the traffic and is used by many more people - the difference is of course, you can't see the people using the main site :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • wingates
    wingates Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just hope the new site will be faster to load. I am on 2mb broadband and this site is painfully slow. Keep up the great work Martin, but don`t fix what aint broke.
    A watched pot always boils. :j
  • Stuart_Marshall
    Options
    Martin - go with the new site!
    It looks much nicer - people never like change (one of the reasons people stick with expensive providers) - but change is good. People will sonn get used to it and it looks much easier to find things in the new site format.

Stuart
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Big improvement over the first new version IMO. The first version kinda reminded me of those dodgy/rogue anti-spyware type sites. This version looks far more 'friendly'. Still a little room for improvement but the basis of a solid design is there unlike the first version.
    Well done to all involved and well done for having the b*lls to change the original design so significantly :T
  • ma_grooper
    Options
    Martin Lewis , I nominate you for a Nobel Price . You are a pride to your mother as you are to all of us who find comfort in your name - of how to fight ' FINANCIAL INJUSTICE ' . New Site , Old Site , a Rose by any other name .What interests me is the CONTENT of the Site

Keep on Old WARRIOR , or is it New WARRIOR !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport