PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi kiwichick,

There's a recent thread here about making dumplings in a slow cooker.

Pink
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i would go with the hour, its usually long enough, if i can wait that long for a dumpling! ;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I have mine in now, I agree with an hour before. MMmmmmmmm
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all :)

I know you've had your answers and have very probably eaten all the dumplings too by now :) but this would be a good tip to add into our main slow cooker thread so I'll merge it in later.

Hope you enjoyed them :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh, before you do that Squeaky I'm going to put in the recipe I've used. DH seems to like it and it doesnt contain veg/beef suet (i've never heard of this but it seems to be the norm here).

1 1/2 cups plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
    1 tbsp finely chopped onion
    100gm butter
    1/2 cup milk

Put flour, baking powder and salt intop bowl, mix. Add herbs and onion, mix again. Rub in butter until the mix resembles breadcrumbs (I find it easier to do this if I use the cheese grater to grate in the butter and then rub in with fingertips). Add millk and mix with a knife to form a soft dough.Roll into balls and place on top of simmering stew. Cover andcook for 10 minutes(in an oven stew) or to your own pref for SC.

Makes about 15 dumplings.

Warning - dont be tempted top make the balls too big as these ones swell right up ;)
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had dumplings without suet in them. How do they compare with real ones?

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This thread explains why my dumplings went to mush.

I had put them in the SC from the start!

Anyway - if you want dumplings with a difference try adding a few spoonfuls of sage and onion stuffing mix to the dry ingredients before you mix it all up.

Yummy!
  • kiwichick
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    I don't think I've ever had dumplings without suet in them. How do they compare with real ones?

:)

Dunno is the honest answer.I'm one of those annoying vegetarian types so I've never eaten a dumpling, being as they are normally in a hearty meat stew :rolleyes:

They swell up big but are light to eat, or so I am told.

What exactly is suet anyway???
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kiwichick wrote:
    Dunno is the honest answer.I'm one of those annoying vegetarian types so I've never eaten a dumpling, being as they are normally in a hearty meat stew :rolleyes:

They swell up big but are light to eat, or so I am told.

What exactly is suet anyway???

From dictionary dot com :-
    The hard fatty tissues around the kidneys of cattle and sheep, used in cooking and for making tallow.

Anyway, I can't remember where it is but someone posted about making up a dumpling mix (possibly add a little sugar) and then sit them in some jam or syrup and cook them in the microwave on high for three minutes.

Whoever it was - I hate you! :)

How to make a delicious and FATTENING pud in five minutes flat! Sheesh! It's too darn easy and too darn tempting!

But so-o-o-o-o nice :)
  • kiwichick
    Options
    Oh no, thats sounds just yucky, if ever something was meant to tell a girl to stay a vegie thats it _pale_
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills