Virgin Media help and complaint

Options
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one here and not sure how to deal with it as Virgin are being no help whatsoever by email or telehone.

12 years ago I had cable TV (it was not Virgin at the time I don't think). When I moved address I had the service moved to my new address this was 11 years ago last month. The service was installed at the new address and I discovered at that point that digital was not available at the new house (I had not been told while arranging the transfer) so I cancelled the account within a month and the bill for that month was written off by the provider at the time as they agreed that I should have been told that I would be recieving a completely different service to what I had at my old address and would recieve half the channels I had been getting although the bill would be the same.

Moving on 11 years I checked my credit file a few weeks ago on Equifax (I have only checked Experian before) and saw that Virgin are showing an account with an outstanding balance of £74 odd at my old address that I moved out of 11 years ago. It is all green but still being updated on a regular basis with this balance.

I treid emailing Virgin but unless I give them a password they kept telling me to call, I have no idea what the password would be, its 11 years since the account was meant to have been closed. I've tried calling the collections team and they keep putting me through to customer services who insist it is collections that need to deal with it and remove it from my account although they have agreed that there is £0 balance at the address I moved to. I am therefore stuck in a neverending loop of its not us its them and then back again.

All I want it the account removing, I was never asked for any payment for that address and as far as I was aware the account was closed with £0 balance 11 years ago however as this is still showing it is showing as a linked address.

Any suggestions on what else I can do? I thought about writing but have no idea what address or department to send it to.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I thought about writing but have no idea what address or department to send it to.
    From Virgin's complaint code of practice;
    "if you’d prefer to send us a letter, you can write to us at Complaints, Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9ZJ.
    Your letter will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt and we aim to resolve all written complaints within 28 days of receipt."

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=ESCALATION_REQUEST#
  • On_My_Lonesome
    Options
    From Virgin's complaint code of practice;
    "if you’d prefer to send us a letter, you can write to us at Complaints, Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9ZJ.
    Your letter will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt and we aim to resolve all written complaints within 28 days of receipt."

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=ESCALATION_REQUEST#

Thank you! Hopefully they won't come back insisting I give them my account number and password as I have had when discussing via email.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you! Hopefully they won't come back insisting I give them my account number and password as I have had when discussing via email.
    I'd make it very clear in your letter that you have no idea of your account number and password as it is so long ago.

Is there no possibility of getting the account number from old paperwork, though?

I'm certain this would speed the process.
  • On_My_Lonesome
    Options
    I'd make it very clear in your letter that you have no idea of your account number and password as it is so long ago.

Is there no possibility of getting the account number from old paperwork, though?

I'm certain this would speed the process.

Ive just put the letter together now ready to print, I don't have any paperwork at all from that long ago and they cant surely demand that I do.

Fingers crossed someone with a brain looks at it rather than a machine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ive just put the letter together now ready to print, I don't have any paperwork at all from that long ago and they cant surely demand that I do.
    Just make certain you put as much detail in the letter as you possibly can. Remember to include the full postal address of the property where the account was held. Do you know the name of the Cable Company at the time? A swift google search will probably bring this up for that address (Telewest? NTL? etc)
  • On_My_Lonesome
    Options
    It was NTL had not thought of including that. I have included full address of where the original service was held plus where the account was transferred to as well and the approximate dates although it is just month and year rather than specific dates.
    Are they likely to start asking for the money again now? If they had asked and the balance was correct years ago when the account was closed I would have paid it but I don't really fancy paying it now 11 years later especially as they have not asked for it its me thats had to contact them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are they likely to start asking for the money again now?
    Not if what you say is true and it was their error.
    Let us know how you get on...
  • On_My_Lonesome
    Options
    Some more help needed with this please.

I wrote to Virgin complaints and got a proof of postage early in November, had no reply at all so sent them a message asking for an email address to send a copy of the letter to. Again no reply Grrr

I will be trying sending letter again by post by recorded delivery unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Where did you send the letter? Should have been to Swansea. (Matrix Court).
  • mickaveli2001
    Options
    As a previous post suggested, write to the address. Ensure you send by recorded delivery.

Also be sure to include these following in the letter:

that you have received "legal advice"
    That there is "imminent legal action" pending, based on their response (within 14 working days)
    "Claim of £****.** amount in losses and damages" (possible loan rejections on interest rates that you should have been entitled to but weren't)

You get the idea. Basically, if the credit bureau cannot confirm nor deny it, then they have to remove it, so even if THEY don't, then Virgin may remove it based on the fear of going to court.

You have to be threatening in order for these companies to correct any wrong doing. I've been in that same position myself with Orange. I had a flawless credit rating, not one single bad mark on it until Orange decided to try and trick me into paying my last month in contract even though it was already credited for via my initial lump sum payment. The only thing I had to do was to give them one months notice of my cancellation.

I cancelled my direct debit after informing them of it, yet still attempted to take money then had the cheek to dirty up my credit. On the phone to them afterwards they tried to say that I was still to make a payment for my last month of contract, and that they would simply credit the amount, or send me a cheque. So what I would have done is send them £39 for them to send it back to me???? What was the point in that. They must have thought that having my money put them in a better position to re-negotiate a new contract. Needless to say I managed to get it wiped and receive a measly £100 voucher to spend in their stores, even though they knew I was no longer a customer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure