PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks QT,
    Hope your children soon feeling well again. The money was changed :) don't suppose there will be occasions that will happen where there is an unexpected windfall...glad you had one too.

I found out the Christmas Market around here was between Nov 30th-Dec 2nd and over 70,000 attended probably too many people to be honest roaming the narrow streets of Durham City TBH.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Theres an xmas market here next week i won't be going it's too cold and busy for small kids.

Oops i forgot to say we have mice!!! we caught 2 on sat night/sun morning and 2 more in the traps this morning, we have live traps not because we want to be humane (sorry but there mice and we live on a old farm so if we let them go we'll just be creating loads more) but bcause we find them more sentive, we bought the snap ones last time we had mice and didn't catch a single one, one day with the humane one and peanut butter and we'd caught it, i've ordered 3 more traps off ebay just incase, so far we havent seen signs of any except in the kitchen, need to be more careful with the door. You shoudl have seen my hubby this morning he opened a trap and accidiently let one go, then started chashing it with a metal pole trying to hit it, i tried to reason with him that he should leave it he'll never catch it but he wouldn't listen, if there wasn't a mouse i'd have had a great laught at him.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good Evening x

I made a wreath and though you might like the instructions. Im probably teaching you all to suck eggs but I was surprised how satisfying it was to make.

Here is my wreath and it was so easy.....

You can buy a wreath base from florist - it is basically a plastic circle with Oasis inside.

Soak the base - float it on water oasis side down and let it sink - dont push it.

Cut foliage - cut in advance and steep it in fresh water for a few days so it has plenty of time to drink water. All our foliage apart from Eucalyptus was foraged. We used:
    Box, conifer, yew, ivy (some sprayed gold) holly, Choicea (sp?) as the basis.

First tie some rafia or ribbon at the top

So we started with the box. For each individual piece we stripped the plant back snipping pieces that were about 3-4 inches for top part and a bit smaller for sides and inside the wreath.

Each piece should have the bottom leaves stripped back and a pointy end and kinda stab it into the oasis and dont push it too far

You randomly put pieces in wherever the fancy and if like me try not to be too regimental

It needs to be full. Put it on the floor and stand over it.

Then wire up some cones with some thin craft wire and place them, dried orange, and cinnamon sticks. I also folded some orangey maple leaves and wired them. There was some seeds pods at the top.

Once made it should last four weeks. It needs taking down and watering twice a week.

Honestly if I can do it then anyone can although I had help cutting up the plants as my hand eye coordination is poor and muscle strength is non existent. It was great fun stabbing in the pieces of plant

I thought it was very money saving and might cheer us up in these tough times
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • jem132
    jem132 Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all I am just checking in to let you know I am okay I feel really unwell the tablets are making me sleepy and I have severe pins and needles in my fingers and left leg.

Glad things are good for fuddle, molly your reath looks fab.
    Sorry and hope everybody's kids get well its horrible when they are ill xxxx
    I have dyslexia so I apologize for my spelling and grammar
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    I can easily sleep with/without pills Jem, sorry if they are making you feel out of it but if you have relief from headaches and hopefully they are dulling your feelings so you are not as worried, I think they are worth sticking with.

Not much happening here. So to stay warm I am under the duvet already. Saving on the central heating as I left it on for 8 hours yesterday:eek:it wasn't particularly cold either, I was just to lazy to switch it off and I know I'll have to pay so if I have a few days where I don't use it, I'll make it up.

I could see the tv and radio listenings online but I do like a TV mag for the festive season and though my favourite is still the Radio Times but as it gets thrown away eventually and watching the pennies I made do with What's on TV for 90p.

It has most of the TV channels but though the information is very basic it does have the main BBC Radio listings(well radio one to radio 5)not all mags have radio included.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gorgeous wreath Molly - what a lovely thing to be able to create.

Hope all the poorlies are on the mend, we all seem to be just about free of germs now. Between viruses, kidney infections, colds and upset tummies we've had it all in the past few months.

Finally finished the quilt I was making for DD1s Christmas present, so hard to do when she's not at college full time (full time course but over two and a half days). It's all wrapped and under the tree, it's her only present from us as she's had money towards a new camera and some concert tickets. She will love it it and appreciates what she's already had, she's very grounded like that.

DH has been falling left right and centre today, nearly dislocated his shoulder as he tried to grab the banisters as he fell at one point....will see how it is tomorrow but might need a visit to the hospital if it's still swollen. Bless him he's trying to be helpful as I've got lots to do this week, I shall delegate some online stuff and phone calls to him tomorrow.

It's silly cold here but clear and the stars are all bright and shiny, I'm going to wrap up in my coat and a few blankets and go swing on my swingy swing in the garden for a bit of fresh air and "me time"
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Evening everyone. I've been a bit out of sorts as well for the last couple of days. Headache, achey throat etc. which I think is going around, but my arthritis always gets worse when I'm under the weather I try not to take tablets, have done in the past but without great benefit. I do use various pain relief creams though which seem to suit me better. Although some smell quite strongly and not that Christmasy either! Enough moaning -I'm ok really.
    Managed to get 2 loaves made, I used to use a breadmaker, but it was not working very well. I'd had it for years so DH bought me a lovely Ken**od Ch*f for my birthday earlier ths year and now I use that because it makes great dough and doesn't take much effort.
    We've fnished wrapping the pressies and writing the cards, so no more trips to the shops, apart from groceries. I really don't like the last couple of weeks before Xmas for shopping for pressies. I don't like the crowds and I always end up going round in circles and not achieving that much:o
    I have to confess -I am a hoarder and I don't get rid of things easily -I don't even want too. I like the place clean and tidy but I love having all my little 'memories' around me. Not for everyone I know, but they make me feel secure. Can't say the same about the dusting I have to do -but eveything comes at a price:)
    Hugs for all those who need them. Keep warm everyone I think the first part of this week is supposed to be very cold and then we are going to get heavy rain, so they say.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    Jem it might be worth having a look at the side effects of your medication to see if pins and needles are mentioned there. The medical term is paraesthesia in case the information isn't written in plain English. The doctor might be able to prescribe something different.

Sorry to bob in and out quickly without saying a proper hello - a bit pushed for time. Hope everyone's OK. xx
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all :)

Have had another mega busy day and am looking at a week of major rush.

Jem - I agree with smiley definitely check your meds are right, am sure pins and needles do not sound right.

smiley I hope Bruno is still improving

Pooky - hope your OH is better tomorrow

kezlou - well done on the wheelchair, if that is what you need to get out and about then it is a good choice to make - it will help you feel better I am sure if you are able to go out.

We have managed to get both trees up finally and all the outside stuff set up too, we were really lucky and were given some outdoor figures on freecycle and both littlies are thrilled. DS8 has taken to trying to nap under the tree which has offended the cat who had taken up residence there.

We had the rotary club santa display past earlier and all the kids were out waving, alot less were donating this year though which was sad.
  • jem132
    jem132 Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    Pins and needles are a side effect of my tablets along with many others including increased urinating as if I need that when I am never off the loo as it is arhhh love to all
    I have dyslexia so I apologize for my spelling and grammar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport