PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• jpscloud
    jpscloud Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2012 at 8:32PM
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    How do I cook jam tarts or anything "mufiny" in a halogen? my tins don't fit. I am experimenting with this and that in it. I am getting on OK, but don't think it's especially quicker than my normal oven, except for the warming up time - my oven takes half an hour! No disasters so far, though

You can get some silicone ones that are small enough for the halogen (I did a search on ebay, and came up with a few that would fit) - and you can also get the foil cases as well, which would sit on the round baking tray.

I'd also love to hear if anyone knows how jam tarts will cook in the halogen - I want to make mince pies this year and I no longer have a main conventional oven!

Edit: just found this, looks like we can do it!

http://siliconemoulds.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/smartie-cakes-cooked-in-halogen-oven.html

(hope it's ok to post the link, please let me know if I've broken any rules there)

Edit Edit: I bought 6 silicone cup cake cases in £stretcher for 99p recently - must get some more!
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Moan away 7week wonder. I think probably all moans are valid, may they always be small ones...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 9 December 2012 at 9:24PM
    Options
    Pops, hope you do get to see Jez Lowe, he's out of reach of the C. Club's budget these days, but he is brilliant. So many clever songs. Bob, who guested on Tuesday, was in his band 20 years ago, as was mentioned.

Clutter. Hmm. I moved around many times from the age of 18 - 30 and had very little in the way of clutter as the Forces would only transport a limited amount for us. I re-homed so much. My son is a hoarder and since we settled, I've indulged too.
    It's mostly books. I don't read much fiction and I do re-read things.

The No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries threads have sorted that habit and the clothes habit is under control too. I have used the 'Declutter' thread to help as well.

Am@zon offer me freebies to review every month, which has not been good for the clutter, as you aren't supposed to dispose of them, certainly not sell them.

This week I will try and get some books to the CS. There, I've said it.

Edit: Looked on the nearest bookshelf to see what could go. Literally the first book I spotted was 'The Clutter Clinic'. :rotfl:
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had no success with anything cakey in the halogen, pastry is great though so jam tarts/mince pies should be fine. Puff pastry turns out lovely in there, I do cheese and bacon savouries which go all puffy and gooey and yummy.

Fuddle - hope your ok, I'm missing you posting and hope your moving plans are all on track x
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    will bananas turn black if i make banoffee and freeze it until christmas ? thanks.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Nursing a cold today and so decided to miss the charity teaparty was planning to go to, shame as would have caught up with several old friends but at least my ticket will still benefit the charity and I saved on train fare. I just couldn't muster the energy to travel to London on train/tube and be sociable etc especially as would have got back in the evening.

On the plus side I have had an easy and cosy day. DH cooked a simple lunch and tea and supervised kids' baths so all I had to do was clearing up from those events and a load of laundry (as blooming usual!) Finished off (with DH's help) the rest of the gr**n & bl&cks chocs and had a nice bath so not a bad day after all despite being a snotbag.

Have decided on last few Xmas pressies, some books ordered on-line and couple other bits to buy in town hopefully tomorrow. Once those are done there are just few more stocking fillers for littlies and DH & I a little something to exchange. Written about half the cards as well. Getting there slowly!

Little freezer defrosted last week but chest one still mocking me, waiting to be defrosted - detest doing it when its cold but its a must-do job as I've run it right down and need to re-fill it - now that's a job I will enjoy!:D

I should be panicking with only a few days left til Xmas but I am strangely (for me) calm. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?! :huh:

I have to say I am impressed reading how some of you, lots of you are finishing off homemade gifts. I still haven't even managed to BUY all of mine yet :rotfl: Maybe next year! A friend of mine calls me a treehugger and apparently her sis-in-law refers to me as a double treehugger whatever that is. Not sure if they are being complimentary or taking the p*** or maybe both but I couldn't care less. It just makes me laugh - they should have a read on the OS board! I am such a lightweight OSer compared to a lot of you wonderful folk.

goodness I am doing an epic ramble, even by my very rambly standards...off to wrap a couple of parcels, write few more cards then will take lappy to bed...might catch you all then

anyone heard from GQ? I might have missed a few posts though with my cottonwool head
    sq:)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Pooky Fuddle contacted me to say she's absolutely fine, all is going smoothly for the move but they have no internet connection now except patchy mobile until they get it sorted at the new place.
    I meant to read up what you've all been doing but am so tired after successive bad nights that I'm just going to go to bed.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I'm alive and well, hun, just been offline during the day doing other stuff and also had a stack of C.J. Box's thrillers this week which have kept me very busy. Fab stuff.

Have jsut realised the time and am puttng the pooter to bed as I'll not sleep well if I stare at a screen too late in the evening.

Wishing Fuddle all the best for their house move.

Sleep tight, my lovelies, GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 December 2012 at 10:23PM
    Options
    pooky - hope you are having a nice eve, sounds lovely. DH & I always have a cheese board and crackers New Years Eve (well we do now we have children, used to be a big night out instead!) Its a big treat as we can't usually splurge on expensive cheeses ..... and as for:eek: the calories
    vjsmum - glad MIL wasn't injured but awful shock for her nonetheless

pops - glad the carol service went well for you and helped you feel some peace. I am not religious (in fact the opposite) but I do love carols especially when I get to join in and sing too. I am going to DS1's school carol service in a few days and really looking forward to it.

re: clutter, its a big problem for me and I realise (for me) its linked to various feelings like anxiety and insecurity. I am working on both the feeelings and the actual 'stuff' and making slow but sure progress. I definitely don't buy lots of new stuff now (other than things I will def use like reasonable amount of storecupboard stocks) so that's brilliant progress for me but my problem is shifting the old stuff. At least once it is all gone, if I keep on only buying what we need, I should be ok. If someone offloads their clearouts though, I feel dutybound to accept them, thinking the stuff shouldn't be just chucked out - I hate things being thrown into landfill. The clutter/hoarding thing is a complex one for me when I start thinking about it all. I must get back on the hoarding thread.

edit: possession: message to fuddle from me too " hello and good luck with the move!" and hope you have a good night's sleep...

sq:)
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Possession - good to hear that all is going well for Fuddle. Kids had a lovely time at DH's works kids Christmas Party this afternoon - he'll be well in with the boss this week as DD threw her arms round her and kissed her!!! (she loves kids) DD had been pottering round in her walker 'talking' to people - well waving hello and smiling beautifully but most of the other kids were still doing that shy bit and DH's boss was the first grown up to squat down and really talk to her - hence the joyous response!!

Started making up the bag kit I treated myself to at the Knit and Stitch while DH did some OU - (waning - mini rant!) why oh why can people who writ instructions not TEST THEM!!!! the number of times I've had things and they are missing crucial element like the amount of seam allowance used or stupid things like sew A to B, do such and such with D - what the dickens happened to C????? I am a fair to good seamstress and can generally muddle through (as I have generally bought a kit/pattern as a lazy shortcut), but it makes me so mad that people who have bought kits because they are relative novices must get so put off by ropey instructions.

Hope you are all ok and have had a good weekend. X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport