PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• nuttyp
    nuttyp Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    Gret idea on the library, thankyou. I found a magazine in the papershop today but at £6.99 i could buy a book for that. Will be getting some newspaper out and makeing soem templates and then onto some scrap fabric for a trial run. Will be using the sewing machine bought from lid.l It is really basic but does the job.

Many thanks for all the replies.

Hope everyone has there little cats and dogs all inside, as fireworks will be going off from tonight for what will seam like a week. I remember when we had our little dog, he was sooo scared.
    :D:D BSC member 137 :D:D

BR 26/10/07 Discharged 09/05/08 !!!

Onwards and upwards - no looking back....
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh you lot are busy today, I've only been gone 6 hrs!
    Well the job issue is sorted and DH has gone for the one he is much more comfortable with, and spent the day doing all kind of HR-related stuff. He was supposed to start Monday but that seems unlikely now. My friend and her kids came round today and purely by coincidence she works for the same company and was able to give him some pointers so all is well. Luckily I don't think he is going to be too anxious, because I really don't want to go back there again.
    Made a huge lunch, and the DCs are still saying they are starving, but they aren't getting 2 dinners!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I can't keep up.
    kittie I'd second the scarf - too many people say its splitty and rough for socks.
    How do you steam puddings without fancy cookware?
  • lisakay_2
    lisakay_2 Posts: 435 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2012 at 7:19PM
    Options
    Mar, do you meant pudding as in a s&k pudding or more like jam rolypoly? (although i don't think there's much difference in the cooking method) i've done it on a trivet in a pan of water (pudding on a bowl wrapped in gp paper and then foil) also done it in the oven, wrapped the same with room for rising, on a roasting tray above a tin of water and i've done it in an electric steamer too. not sure if i've been any help!

I've just made the nicest tea i've done in ages, clean plates all round, pumpkin (from the scrapings of the halloween pumpkin) and red lentil dhal. i added the chicken from one lonely drumstick that was in the fridge for the girls. It's really really cheap and easy to make if you already have the spices in store and healthy too.

the pineapple upside down cake and custard (to use up 1/2 pineapple and 1/2 tin custard starting to go off in the fridge) is not quite so healthy but might get a bit of meat sticking to my very skinny girls ribs. i just stick it in the microwave for 5 minutes, easiest cake ever.
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • lillibet_dripping
    Options
    All that talk of Santa a few pages back reminded me of a conversation I had with DS17 (age, not my 17th child!!) only the other day.
    DS: What do the post office do with all those letters to Santa?
    Me: They send them to Santa in the North Pole.
    DS: No really, what do they do with them?
    Me: Yes really, they send them to Santa.
    DS: Oh come on mum, tell me the truth
    Me: (in a sensible voice) Okay, there is probably a department within Royal Mail that reads them and sends a reply to the child..... from Santa, in the North Pole
    DS: MUM, I'M 17 YEARS OLD !!!!:eek:
    :j[DFW Nerd club #1142 Proud to be dealing with my debt:TDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862:eek:April 2013 = £20414:T April 2014 = £11000 :TApril 2015 = £9500 :T April 2016 = £7200:T
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM:j:j:beer::j:j:T:T
  • debtmess
    debtmess Posts: 711 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening x it's soooooo busy on here :)

Am babysitting tonight along with my 3 own for my friend, we sit each others as needed as its damm near impossible to find someone that will sit our children for either of us, sadly means we never get a night out together (and Fridays are normally our wine n chat night)

Quick q if anyone can help, she brought 2 duck halfs with her the type you cook in oven that come with the pancakes and sauce etc (they look like there were cooked n you heat at home iykwim) we still have 1 left plus the bones, can I save this meat for tomorrow? And can a stock be made, or it made into some sort of duck based soup. I am stuffed but seems wrong to waste it.

Ds has jumped non stop on bargain trampette this evening :) it's looking like a bargain even more now.

Nuttyp thank you for reminding me about fireworks and cats, going to be keeping mine in as much as possible over the next week or so, that said they seem to be inside more during colder months.
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    edited 2 November 2012 at 7:32PM
    Options
    Fuddle I have a McDougalls Better Baking recipe book that you are welcome to have. It is just sitting on the shelf as I don't do much baking now, it is several years old and has metric and ounce measurements. Just PM me if you would like it.

Jenny
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nuttyp wrote: »
    Gret idea on the library, thankyou. I found a magazine in the papershop today but at £6.99 i could buy a book for that. Will be getting some newspaper out and makeing soem templates and then onto some scrap fabric for a trial run. Will be using the sewing machine bought from lid.l It is really basic but does the job.

I have issue 1 and 2 of Modern Quilting that I was going to put in the recycling bin. You are welcome to them if you want them!
  • RosiePuddingPaws
    Options
    I think it was fuddle asking about the Christmas Good Food magazine? (Its a bit hard to keep up). Mine arrived earlier this week (subscription paid for with Tesco Reward vouchers). I seem to have become transfixed by the choc-cherry fudge torte with cherry sorbet!
    Apart from that I fancy the butternut and sweet potato lasagne or the four and twenty chicken and ham pie.

The problem is, having separated from the OH earlier this year, there is only me to eat it!!

Oh, and nuttyp, be warned - patchwork can become addictive! Rather than cutting your templates from newspaper, try cardboard or, if you can find it, thin clear plastic. You can then re-use them for much longer. As you are just starting out, try and get materials that are all the same weight and not stretchy.

RPP
  • thriftyniftyme
    thriftyniftyme Posts: 115 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2012 at 8:19PM
    Options
    I have just posted links to a load of free frugal kindle books on my blog, is there anywhere I can post them on here? Some of them look like they might be pretty useful to old-stylers.

ETA: It's okay, I just found the right thread :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure