PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2012 at 4:58PM
    Options
    dumplings? Oh you've reminded me of my grandma's leek puddings now. Yum!

suet recipes from Atora http://www.atora.co.uk/inspiration/index.htm

http://www.atora.co.uk/inspiration/index.htm winter stollen. So bad you lot. So bad! :rotfl:

HFW steamed leek and bacon pudding http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/feb/06/steamed-pudding-recipes-fearnley-whittingstall

Right, I'm off :rotfl:
  • debtmess
    debtmess Posts: 711 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ohhhhh some lovely ideas on there fuddle.

Would my above just be dumpling recipe but baked in oven? Not that I have beef often.
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nuttyp wrote: »
    Ive just seen in a magazine i found a pattern for doing some patchwork, its a log cabin quilt. Can anyone explain in plain simple english how you do it. It says on the plan to use fat quarters?? what size is that?? /QUOTE]

I took this from a site that sells quilting fabric:
    "A Fat Quarter is a half of length and a half a width. Half a length will be 50cm but the width will vary from fabric to fabric depending upon the original length of the fabric."

Like Mrs L said: Frugal in Cornwall explains how to quilt without spending a fortune on fabric:D Plenty of video tutorials online as well.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If I blind bake a pastry case, I don't put anything on it. I just thoroughly !!!!! (will that get past the swear filter? :D) it all over with a fork (including the sides). I've never had one go wrong. (Famous last words)

Edit - no it won't. the word was pr!ck
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • jem132
    jem132 Posts: 511 Forumite
    Options
    Hi its taken me all day to catch up
    Sorry about your holiday
    Fuddle your holiday let looks fab I don't know if this is any good but poundland do travel games for £1 my kids get them when we go on long trips then I just bin them as they are cheap. I have about6 bero books if you want me to post you one.
    Kids are driving me mad its been raining all day we took Bella for a big walk and came home black arrhhhhh put them all in shower then they wanted to go bk out again.

Dh has gone to clean up after a car crash on the motorway but has been gone an hour and is stuck in traffic becose of a different crash and still80 miles from his job :( I hate him doing this kind of work he got home a 3am only to get called out at 5 to drive 50 miles to pick up a needle. He stayed in bed till lunch time. I don't think he's getting enough rest. He's also on call all weekend witch means everywhere we go we have to go in separate cars/van so he can dash off kids are really fed up of him having to rush off where ever we are and he's on call from 14 December till 2 January I can't believe it not one day over Xmas off :mad:
    I have dyslexia so I apologize for my spelling and grammar
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    debtmess wrote: »
    Ohhhhh some lovely ideas on there fuddle.

Would my above just be dumpling recipe but baked in oven? Not that I have beef often.

Could very well be. I sometimes put my dumplings in the oven when I want to convince myself that I'm not eating stoge. Nice with a crust on :)
    VJsmum wrote: »
    If I blind bake a pastry case, I don't put anything on it. I just thoroughly !!!!! (will that get past the swear filter? :D) it all over with a fork (including the sides). I've never had one go wrong. (Famous last words)

Edit - no it won't. the word was pr!ck
    Thank you! I'll try that next time.
  • anakat
    anakat Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »

What will I make with noro kureyon sock yarn?

If it is like the Noro I had, not socks. it goes very thick or thin in places and had way too many knots in one hank of wool.

Wingspan scarf is nice and only takes one skein/ball
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/wingspan-2
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    nuttyp wrote: »
    Ive just seen in a magazine i found a pattern for doing some patchwork, its a log cabin quilt. Can anyone explain in plain simple english how you do it. It says on the plan to use fat quarters?? what size is that?? Ive never tackled anything like this before but i want a winter project and thought this would be nice.

I cant watch u tube or go on facebook on the computer, due to these being blocked as DD managed to download from one of these sites a major problem that killed the last laptop.

Going into the garden in a bit, before the council drive by and write to say my front garden needs tidying up. Its only leaves, but its best to keep them happy.

I have done Log Cabin using a paper template. The template is marked with the strips one inside the other. You then choose your fabrics - you need fat quarters which are widely available or could use scraps. Use colours that contrast and within each contrast scale out light to dark. You need a separate piece of different and striking fabric for the centre square - traditionally red as this is the fire in the cabin.

Cut strips of fabric with a seam allowance and the square for the middle with seam allowance. Start in the middle and position square in middle and pin. Turn over and machine along line. Template should be marked 1, 2, 3, etc. Build up your pattern as you go sewing corresponding strips on to the template.

Not sure if this helps x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all, just popping in as DGs fell asleep while I was cooking his tea, poor little mite is exhausted and very ratty as autistic little people get.

A fat quarter is just a fancy way of buying posh fabrics at really high prices. Most patchwork can be done with scraps, log cabin is fast and easy once you get the hang of it. I do mine by machine as you cannot see the sewing. I think if you find a good tutorial on y*u tube you will be churning the stuff out. Im just about to do one for DGs for Christmas using his and his uncles (my DS) old shirts. the longest length you need you scraps is probably about 10'' I have rarely bought fabric for patchwork other than from a CS.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • The_Dragon
    The_Dragon Posts: 9,749 Forumite
    Options
    nuttyp would it be worth getting a book out of the library on quilting to give you some hints and tips?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup :D
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) :(C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - £39.43
    :p Every Penny's a Prisoner :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport