BT home hub keeps dropping wi-fi

Right my BT home hub 2 keeps dropping wi-fi signal has done it since we got it! but now it is at least once every 2 days, so I phoned BT for a solution today in short they fixed some settings at there end and I can connect again for NOW. I phoned to get a MAC code straight after I got of the phone to the very unhelpful tech support to be informed because I upgraded my broadband usage I am still in contract and I can pay £49.99 for a new hub but my answer was why should I, I am already paying for a service which I am not receiving due to the shoddy home hub

So my question being why should I abide by a contract if they are not providing me with a satisfactory service and is there anything I can do?

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Shirley its not the hub thats dropping the wyfy, rather the device that's connected to it.
    Or is that what they mean that the hub is dropping the internet line connection?
    We need information, information!
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • It is defiantly the home hub because when it happens all device's are affected.
    When I was on the phone they changed some settings at there end on the hub and for now it's working but she told me if it happens again not to reset the hub so what am I supposed to do? do without wi-fi?
    not really a solution to a problem is it? why can't they provide me with a hub that works for free? after all I have been a paying customer for the best part of 4 years but it's the same old story they would rather ensnare new customers than keep their existing customers!
    It is the principle that is getting my back up! The woman I spoke with to try and get a MAC code then had the nerve to try and flog me their TV package to get a reduced price Home Hub 3!
  • With the Hub 3 what happens with my BT phone? Is it a straight swap for my Hub 2 and my phone will connect to it?
  • DantheMan
    DantheMan Posts: 103 Forumite
    mark2514 wrote: »
    It is defiantly the home hub because when it happens all device's are affected.
    When I was on the phone they changed some settings at there end on the hub and for now it's working but she told me if it happens again not to reset the hub so what am I supposed to do? do without wi-fi?
    not really a solution to a problem is it? why can't they provide me with a hub that works for free? after all I have been a paying customer for the best part of 4 years but it's the same old story they would rather ensnare new customers than keep their existing customers!
    It is the principle that is getting my back up! The woman I spoke with to try and get a MAC code then had the nerve to try and flog me their TV package to get a reduced price Home Hub 3!

you've lodged a complaint once, IF it happens again call back and say this is the 2nd time it's happened since they have 'reset' it.

ask for a new router as this is now the second complaint for the same problem. This should hopefullyresolve the situation
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    BT are not responsible for the reception of the wi-fi signal around your home, only for it's delivery to the router. There are numerous reasons why reception might be poor, almost all of them factors beyond BT's control, such as your internal wiring, filters, thicknes of walls etc.
    But the very first thing to do is try another wireless channel! It's very likely that a neighbour also has a device running on the same default channel and causing interference.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • It's not poor reception that is the problem all devices get 4 bars signal, it is the fact that the router keeps needing reset for any of our devices to get get access to the internet and my gripe is why should I pay more money on top of my monthly bill to get a services I am already paying for. As I said before they set the Hub to another wireless channel from their end but then she said if we have problems in the future not to reset the hub as it will revert to its original settings therefore putting us back to square one! Very good shot term fix but not a long term fix I'm sure you would agree.
  • macman
    That is poor advice; they cannot set an appropriate channel from their end, as they don't know what other channels are running within range! You can best do that yourself after checking with InSSIDer. Changing the wireless channel does not affect any other router settings whatsoever, nor does it do a factory reset. It's a 2 minute job.
    4 bars signal (strength) is not the same as signal quality.
  • mark2514
    mark2514 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 3 November 2012 at 10:40AM
    Ah I see what you are saying, That is the thing that annoyed me since the moment I spoke to them the advice they have given is pretty poor in my opinion
  • macman
    Hardly surprising, give that BT is one of the lowest rated suppliers in the UK. The call centre drones are just reading off a script and will not be able to give you any meaningful assistance.
    The other test you should do is to connect with ethernet via the BT test socket and see if the line still drops. If it does, then it's not a wireless issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport