MFW from day one of the mortgage!

Comments

• ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does better LTV mean better % rate when you come to remortgage ?
    Yes and you may also have more products available to you. It is the same as having a larger deposit when you buy the house in the first place.
    Is 6 months "emergency funds" enough?
    That seems to be the general amount
    I do the quidco check in's, as you say not massive money, but I guess over the year it will build up.
    Over the last few weeks I have had at least £1 a week put into my bank and I have quite a lot waiting to be paid (at least £80 for going through the site for my life insurance)
    I am about to switch to Halifax and put the £5 a month into my mortgage! May as well let the banks, pay for a bit of their own mortgage.

Idea so far..my new wordpress blog which has google ads on them. If someone click on an advert on my site I get paid! It's a new site, but hopefully it will take off over time.
    Just being nosey but does this cost you? My dad has his own business with website and this may be an idea for him if he hasn't already thought of it
    Broadband...I want it free...when I moved in I signed upto Plusnet got a cracking deal...

Halfprice internet for 12 months, which £3 something per month - they have a customer referal thingy...so I get money per customer I refer...so far 1 reffered and £1 a month off my bill.

Line rental paid 12 month up front and got it for £9 something a month.

Much cheaper than BT! At present my BB costs me £2 odd a month...If I can refer 2 more people it will be nearly free...and after that other referral and the company start paying me per month.

Gas and Elec went with utility warehouse (I am not a distributor)...but only because as a low user there service charge is dead cheap..and it works out cheaper for me that way. I can refer people to them too, to get a % off my bill...but not done that yet.

If anyone wants to join plusnet for broadband please pm me and I can send you my referral link!

More ideas to follow soon.

There are people who know more than me but these are the answers I can give so far
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £400/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £14950.12/£22787.04
  • ajmoney
    Do you have spare time at the weekend? We make rolls up in bulk at the weekend and freeze them, take them out at breakfast and by lunchtime they have defrosted and are ready to eat. When we shop for this I also buy lots of chocolate, crisps, yoghurts and fruit so we just have to get it out to take to work in the morning. No idea how much this costs, maybe £10 a week for DH and I but if I was to have that at work it would cost at least £2 a day for me, if I was to buy it would be even more. If you can find the time then it is handy or if not can you make stuff up the night before. I learnt all this from my mum who used to have to get my sister and I ready for school and her for work and us be out and with a childminder by 8am as my dad used to work away a lot. Once you get used to doing it it becomes as natural as buying your lunch!
  • ajmoney wrote: »
    There are people who know more than me but these are the answers I can give so far

Okay so aim for larger LTV to get more chance of better products on remortgage - which I may or may not do at the end of year 2.

Adsense is what google adverts are, and now it's free to sign up (google has to accept you) and then you can put it on the approved sites for free. This will not get you rich, I have run sites for a few years. To find out more simply google "google adsense" !!

Is that £1 per week from click ins? Wow...hmm with the xmas shopping coming up, I may need to checkquidco.
    MFW: Original December 2041 / Aim January 2028
    Current total overpayments: £0 Mortgage starts Dec 16
    It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. Confucius
    Do you have spare time at the weekend? We make rolls up in bulk at the weekend and freeze them, take them out at breakfast and by lunchtime they have defrosted and are ready to eat. When we shop for this I also buy lots of chocolate, crisps, yoghurts and fruit so we just have to get it out to take to work in the morning. No idea how much this costs, maybe £10 a week for DH and I but if I was to have that at work it would cost at least £2 a day for me, if I was to buy it would be even more. If you can find the time then it is handy or if not can you make stuff up the night before. I learnt all this from my mum who used to have to get my sister and I ready for school and her for work and us be out and with a childminder by 8am as my dad used to work away a lot. Once you get used to doing it it becomes as natural as buying your lunch!

Can you freeze rolls? What do you put in them that can be frozen?

This is a good idea, but I am not sure what you can freeze
  • ajmoney
    Is that £1 per week from click ins? Wow...hmm with the xmas shopping coming up, I may need to checkquidco.

Yes, that was from check ins, it has been larger when other things have been paid too. I treat myself in town every now and again with a cuppa in Debenhams and I get 2% back in cashback which has just started coming through :D
    Can you freeze rolls? What do you put in them that can be frozen?

This is a good idea, but I am not sure what you can freeze

Ok so here is my money sense learnt from my mother. We butter the rolls (a bit more than usual as they can sometimes be a little dry) and put ham, slices of beef, chicken etc in them, my mum used to do cheese as well. I am sure there are far more options but we are too lazy and don't have enough imagination. You could always keep a jar of condiments at work to add so they don't become too bland.

We put them in freezer bags and once used we wash and dry them ready to use again the next time. I haven't bought and freezer bags since we started doing this nearly 2 years ago. Sometimes they perish and so they get thrown out but I still have a stash that is keeping me going.
  • ajmoney
    By the way, not taking into account for holidays and bank holidays, based on today's lunch purchase you are spending £520 a year on lunches, if you stick with your meal deals then that rises to £907.40 (why do I sound like Martin Lewis in my head?). Forget about OPs that to save that would mean you wouldn't need to worry about Christmas presents as I reckon that may cover it?

I am currently trying to organise and plan dinner in our house the way we do our lunches, I am not doing too well!
    Yes, that was from check ins, it has been larger when other things have been paid too. I treat myself in town every now and again with a cuppa in Debenhams and I get 2% back in cashback which has just started coming through :D

Ok so here is my money sense learnt from my mother. We butter the rolls (a bit more than usual as they can sometimes be a little dry) and put ham, slices of beef, chicken etc in them, my mum used to do cheese as well. I am sure there are far more options but we are too lazy and don't have enough imagination. You could always keep a jar of condiments at work to add so they don't become too bland.

We put them in freezer bags and once used we wash and dry them ready to use again the next time. I haven't bought and freezer bags since we started doing this nearly 2 years ago. Sometimes they perish and so they get thrown out but I still have a stash that is keeping me going.

When you say slices of Ham, Beef, Chicken etc...are you talking about fresh Ham/Beef/Chicken or sliced stuff from the supermarkets???

I think this is an amazing idea...can you really freeze cheese ?
    By the way, not taking into account for holidays and bank holidays, based on today's lunch purchase you are spending £520 a year on lunches, if you stick with your meal deals then that rises to £907.40 (why do I sound like Martin Lewis in my head?). Forget about OPs that to save that would mean you wouldn't need to worry about Christmas presents as I reckon that may cover it?

I am currently trying to organise and plan dinner in our house the way we do our lunches, I am not doing too well!

How much eeeek
  • ajmoney
    When you say slices of Ham, Beef, Chicken etc...are you talking about fresh Ham/Beef/Chicken or sliced stuff from the supermarkets???

I think this is an amazing idea...can you really freeze cheese ?

My mum used to do cheese and it never harmed us. We have frozen sliced stuff from supermarkets and leftover roast meat too. It really is the only way for us as we are up and out in the mornings.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Alternatively, if you cook at night, make enough so you can have leftovers the next day (or freeze so you can rotate and take something different).

Yes you can freeze cheese :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure