November 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 22 October 2012 at 2:33PM in Old Style MoneySaving
907 replies 76.4K views

Replies

• Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Bought some milk today for 89p, will add to sig. OH is currently making spaghetti & meatballs for dinner, should be yum. Haven't had meatballs since stopping being vegetarian so will have to see if I like them lol.
    Married March 2014, DS born Dec 2015, DD born Dec 2018

July Grocery Challenge: £0/£400
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Didn't go to DM's A!di today as time ran away with us. Will pick up some F&V tomorrow in addition to running some errands in town (tip/charity shop/picking up a parcel) - my life is so glamourous NOT!

Dinner tonight was cheesy pasta with some grilled hotdogs cut up and added to the mix. Very quick and just what is needed when it's rugby training and also scouts all on the same evening :eek:

Have a great evening everyone.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • GreenFairyGreenFairy Forumite
    353 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Forgot to take stuff out of freezer last night - grrr! €8.73 spent on the way home from uni on a bag of frozen fish, chicken fillets and a new deo for me.
    Also picked myself up a few makeup treats thanks to a birthday gift card. All the joy of spending without the actual spending :)
    GC totals 2020! Jan €341/€400. Feb €401.27/€400. Mar €430.21/€350. Apr €325/€400. May €219.82/€400.

Blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Thanks for the recipe tips- I reckon I'll give them a go soon, I want to stay away from the supermarket for a few more days first!

I like your ideas of saving £1 a day, only I'd have to take money out to save! I decided to save 50p pieces whenever I get them, and always empty my purse on pay day. It's my version of the £2 coin challenge (it's rare to get a £2 coin anymore), you never notice giving up 50p.
  • tatabubblytatabubbly Forumite
    909 posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    LSD here for me, €3.00 on my lunch which is quite good in school.

Trying to do SW is hard as fresh fruit and veggies can be expensive at time..

So I found two receipts from my OH, €10.29 for lunch stuff and €4.79 for milk and loo roll!!! Adding them to my siggie and hoping for a low spend week next week but.... my stock cupboard is very low so I need to watch..
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • Thanks for the recipe tips- I reckon I'll give them a go soon, I want to stay away from the supermarket for a few more days first!

I like your ideas of saving £1 a day, only I'd have to take money out to save! I decided to save 50p pieces whenever I get them, and always empty my purse on pay day. It's my version of the £2 coin challenge (it's rare to get a £2 coin anymore), you never notice giving up 50p.

I cant take credit for the £1 a day saving idea, picked it up from other posts, but now that I don't use all my silver & £1 coins on parking and bus fares I seem to have quite a few of them in my purse and at the moment I'm not missing what I'm putting away :D
  • kezloukezlou Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    katholicos wrote: »
    lentil and veg loaf and had it with potatoes, carotts, broccolli, sprouts and gravy. Very tasy.

Kath please could i have the recipe for this :) Sounds really tasty.

Bluegreen Thanks for the recipe :)

Well been stocking up and my OH can't belive how many tins of tomatoes and chick peas we have. We now have a full two cupboards literally bursting with flour and 8kg of onions to get through.

Were totally skint this month so trying to spend as little money as possible. fingers crossed it will happen.
    So going to keep £50 put away, we'll more fruit, veg and milk as we go through loads.

Oh not sure if this is any good for anyone, but SAinsbugs are selling Persil non bio liquid for £7.50. It was cheapest i found for 85 washes.
  • oligeooligeo Forumite
    263 posts
    Just done the weekly shop for £67.09. But £7 was on christmas bits for kids, which comes from a different budget.
    I seem to be on track to keeping under budget this month.
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Small spend in Tosco on f&v, passata, sweetcorn and pepperoni - £7.31. We are having hm pizzas this evening - first time so wish me luck (I have a takeaway menu to hand in case it's an epic fail....)

Have a good day everyone,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • Argh! Another brand new packet of baby wipes lost by the nursery yesterday - its like a black hole - her changing bag. So had to buy those this morning and just got home and remembered I used up the last dishwasher tablet yesterday. So I'll be back at MrS again this afternoon.

Will update all the figures later ...
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.