Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 63

New Post Advanced Search

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 22 October 2012 at 2:33PM in Old Style MoneySaving
907 replies 76.4K views

Replies

• Just declaring my spends - last week £50.55 and this week £45.05 = Total £95.60/£250.

Hope everyone is having a good month x
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Need2bthrifty;5725

Since the beginning of the month I started a “pound a day” saving jar but have decided that the days I have a NSD I will put in an extra pound and if I keep this going I will have a really good fund of spending money put by for a special family holiday that’s booked for May :T.

I got some of @ldi super 6 selection (0.69p each) and thought I might make a soup using some of the sweet potatoes, red onion, red pepper maybe some red lentils, veg stock - chilli/curry powder to spice it up a bit.

Wishing you all a NSD :)[/QUOTE]

The save a pound day is so worth doing,I started last November
    for this Christmas and now havee 365.00.
    Slimming World at target
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    A small spend of £2.90 today in Mr S

Housemate made a Salmon, tapenade, mozzarella and roasted tomato filo pie yesterday - served with salad. Having the same tonight since there was a lot!

Housemates turn to cook tomorrow, then at the weekend my sister is coming down to visit, so need to search for cheap/free things to do for fun (museums/window shopping most likely!), to reign in the spends.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    poppy-glos, I've added your mexican bean soup to the recipe index. I'll definitely be trying this one myself :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • theatregirl4theatregirl4 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    spent £2.74 in budgens today - veg for bunnies, plus carex soap and some rolls for lunch :)

:j
  • meg72 wrote: »
    The save a pound day is so worth doing,I started last November
    for this Christmas and now havee 365.00.

Nice one Meg72, I hadn’t thought about it until I read a post from ButterflyBrain on one of the reducing budget threads – by my calculations and aiming for at least 15 NSD’s per month, plus Euros left over from a previous holiday I should have about £400 for spending money :D.
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...i have a stew cooking and it smellsnvery nice....just the thing as it is nippy here...winter has arrived i think
    i have done next weeks meal plan and written a small shoppin list which is mainly milk and fresh veg/fruit

got a few reduced bargains in the coop today which always helps the budget...x2 chickens and some veg....strange mix of things were reduced but will use them at some point

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • sonastinsonastin Forumite
    3.2K posts
    This thread is moving way too fast to catch up at the moment - I keep losing track! Staying on top of my spending though. Grocery spend is currently sitting at £95.67 and I won't be shopping for the rest of this week at least - probably got enough in for a bit of next week too if I plan properly.

I can't remember the target I set myself because I've been juggling budgets to try to bring all of the pots in under budget at the end of the year. I've been going through where I still need to spend (presents pot, new tyres from car maintenance pot, etc) and robbing from budgets that are mostly spent (holidays, new clothes, haircuts, etc). There is a good chance that I can do it if I don't get sloppy over the next 6 weeks! Anyways, grocery budget is currently standing at £230 which is definitely higher than my target. As long as I come in under that for November I should be OK but I should really aim for something lower. I'm fancying treating us to a DR meat order as OH has requested "not turkey" for xmas dinner this year so perhaps lower is wishful thinking. We'll see...
  • poppy-glos wrote: »
    try mexican bean soup...

2 tablespoons oil,
    1 onion, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes or chilli powder, or fresh chilli
    1 potato, cut into small peices
    400g tin of baked beans
    1/2 pint chicken or veg stock, or water, perhaps with stock cube
    1 tbspn brown sugar
    1 tspn. mustard
    salt and pepper

heat oil, fry onion, add chilli, after a minute add potato and beans, and stock/water/stock cube, simmer for 15 -20 minutes, add rest of ingredients, simmer for another five minutes, either eat lumpy or puree with blender.

this came out of a frugal cookbook years ago and i still cook it regularly. sometimes i dont put in the sugar.
    thank you for that i have tonnes of cannellini beans to use up
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • n0 spend day number 5 here today, am on track with the budget, ie under £150 on the 15 th. i'm failing spectacularly with emptying the freezer and not buying things til i need them. keep making more bulk cooking so little room in freezer if i have a magical ys day with lots of opportunities. am continuing to aim for very empty freezer in case i get lots of ys meat on xmas eve or nye.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.