Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

November 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 62

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 22 October 2012 at 2:33PM in Old Style MoneySaving
907 replies 76.3K views

Replies

• Evening everyone, sorry I hardly ever get a chance to post in here lately. Well I'm up to £125 out of my £165 so far, have just been topping up with bread, F&V etc so hopefully if I carry on I might be able to finish the month under my target this time.
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

NSD here. Spent most of today re-organising our bedroom. Moved 3 wardrobes into the spare room which has freed up some space and have lots of bags for the charity shop :j

Dinner tonight was shepherds pie made with DR lamb mince. Mmmmm so lovely. I added some bendy celery which was in the bottom of the fridge - kids didn't notice :D

Seeing DM tomorrow so will no doubt pop into A!di with her - running low on F&V.

Have a good evening everyone
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP1: Christmas Pots - Historical Sampler Company

Cross-stitch WIP2: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
  • Hmm, I've been really bad at noting what I've spent so far this month- I have 3 receipts for the big shops, but I don't seem to have anything for the little top-ups and snacks in between. In two minds - do I record what I know and add on £5 for the little bits, or do I just start a new challenge for the last 2 weeks of the month? I spent £40 last weekend and banned myself from going food shopping for 2 weeks! Only, we all know that never happens!
  • ..anyone spotted any good christmas bargains yet ? or are people thinking it is too early to look ??
    take care tess
    Yes bar humbug lol
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • theatregirl4theatregirl4 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    another small spend - wanted to use up a leftover select a size thirst pockets coupon so popped into morries on the way to work - got the kitchen roll + a sandwich and spent £3.39. :)

:j
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    armchairexpert, I've added your Curried chicken, potato and lentil pot pie to the index. I think I'll be trying this one myself :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • NSD today! Was so tempted to buy some snacks on my break but I resisted because I knew I had two tangerines to eat. I was very hungry by the time I got home (was working until 7) but my tea was ready (scouse! :)) and I felt satisfied knowing I wasn't adding to the grocery total for the month.

We were flabberghasted today watching superscrimpers at the family who spent £200 on food shopping a week AND then ate out about 3 or 4 times a week too. £200 a month would be a luxurious month for us I think! Nevermind a week.
    November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
  • Oh poo. I decided no excuses and I added it all up for the month. So with 16 days left in the month, I have spent £81.66 of my £100 budget for the month. I thought I was sitting about the £60 mark.

Well, it's abundantly clear where so much of my money has been going over the last year or so now!

I won't be coming in under budget this month - I will just try to damage control. Can anyone tell me good veg in season just now? I'm thinking a good pot of soup will help bring the food bill down a bit.
  • Oh poo. I decided no excuses and I added it all up for the month. So with 16 days left in the month, I have spent £81.66 of my £100 budget for the month. I thought I was sitting about the £60 mark.

Well, it's abundantly clear where so much of my money has been going over the last year or so now!

I won't be coming in under budget this month - I will just try to damage control. Can anyone tell me good veg in season just now? I'm thinking a good pot of soup will help bring the food bill down a bit.

try mexican bean soup...

2 tablespoons oil,
    1 onion, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes or chilli powder, or fresh chilli
    1 potato, cut into small peices
    400g tin of baked beans
    1/2 pint chicken or veg stock, or water, perhaps with stock cube
    1 tbspn brown sugar
    1 tspn. mustard
    salt and pepper

heat oil, fry onion, add chilli, after a minute add potato and beans, and stock/water/stock cube, simmer for 15 -20 minutes, add rest of ingredients, simmer for another five minutes, either eat lumpy or puree with blender.

this came out of a frugal cookbook years ago and i still cook it regularly. sometimes i dont put in the sugar.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • 3 NSD’s to declare – WooHoo :j:j:j – but that came to an end this morning as I needed to get milk to make some more yoghurt – spend = 0.76p.

With my non-shopping time I’ve emptied, cleaned, reorganised my kitchen and store cupboards and have finally drawn up an inventory of supplies so I know exactly what I’ve got also pre-planned a menu and shopping list which needs reviewing into what I NEED and what I WANT as a back-up.

Since the beginning of the month I started a “pound a day” saving jar but have decided that the days I have a NSD I will put in an extra pound and if I keep this going I will have a really good fund of spending money put by for a special family holiday that’s booked for May :T.
    Oh poo.

I got some of @ldi super 6 selection (0.69p each) and thought I might make a soup using some of the sweet potatoes, red onion, red pepper maybe some red lentils, veg stock - chilli/curry powder to spice it up a bit.

Wishing you all a NSD :)