PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

HM custard (no more Birds custard powder)

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think Delia adds some cornflour to her custard to keep it together too ;)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you so much all of you :A :beer: Our 4 hens are currently laying about 24 eggs a week. Real custard seems like an ideal way to use some up. Meringue with the whites, too.

Now, what shall we have with the custard..........

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    I made REAL vanilla icecream on the weekend (by hand :eek: ), and started with a real custard (my first ever).
    Milk, egg yolks, vanilla pod, cream and caster sugar. A lot of work, and time consuming, but delish :drool:

I used the egg white to make meringues.

I was going to buy some custard powder next week - but thanks to this thread I don't need to now :T
    Didn't realise custard powder was just cornflour, flavouring and colouring :rotfl:
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    I have made Creme Anglais once - yum! But I was very nervous that it would split/curdle, luckily it didn't. I thought I had never made proper custard but I can remember making icecream as described above when I was a kid so I guess I have! (and creme anglais is pretty close, just not as thick, which is why I prefer it). The nicest lazy alternative I have tried is M&S custard - they have 2 types but it's the posh one (ie the more expensive one) I like - made with (free-range) eggs and cream. :)

One day I think I should have a go at making "scary egg things which might go horribly wrong" - like homemade mayonnaisse or hollandaise (eggs benedict or hollandaise with asparagus - yum!).
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • smitty2702
    smitty2702 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    hmm i wonder if u made vanilla sugar and then used it instead of the vanilla pod whether it would do???

have never made "real" custard but might have to give it a go as i remember mum making it and it was lovely!

Claire
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    HappyIdiotTalk Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    smitty2702 wrote: »
    hmm i wonder if u made vanilla sugar and then used it instead of the vanilla pod whether it would do???

have never made "real" custard but might have to give it a go as i remember mum making it and it was lovely!

Claire

That reminds me, I made some icecream at Christmas and took the vanilla pod out of the custard mixture and just plonked it into some sugar. I only meant to leave it for a few days, but its still sitting in the cupboard. Do you think it will be OK to use or have I missed the boat? If so I might do some vanilla icecream this weekend and impress my Italian guest!
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It must be possible to make your own custard powder.

ironically, i've found out how to make a chocolate flavoured one:

Seieve together:
    80g sugar
    25g cornflour
    50g cocoa

Dilute in 500ml milk.Cook on medium heat until thickened stirring continuously. Do not overcook or it will go solid!

Any ideas on how to make a vanilla version?
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    npsmama wrote: »
    It must be possible to make your own custard powder.

ironically, i've found out how to make a chocolate flavoured one:

Seieve together:
    80g sugar
    25g cornflour
    50g cocoa

Dilute in 500ml milk.Cook on medium heat until thickened stirring continuously. Do not overcook or it will go solid!

Any ideas on how to make a vanilla version?

Try leaving out ther cocoa, and use vanilla extract or vanilla sugar. You'll find that the colour is much lighter than that made with commercial custard powder.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi npsmama,

There's a recipe on this older thread:

HM Custard

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the recipes together.

Pink
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    This is pretty inspiring actually, i hate powdered custard, but i'd never considered making my own as Morrisons does a pretty decent 19p value tin, tastes great with a pinch of mixed spice or drop of vanilla, and then a chopped banana in, real OS style pudding that was about the only thing my dad ever managed to cook when I was a kid! I sometimes put a little tuperware of custard alongside my banana in my lunchbox to counter the midweek blues at work, might have to try making my own for this week
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills