Here we go then - My Diary/Story

Options

Comments

• Walaboobah
    Walaboobah Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Have now paid off £19,465.00 in total and now have £10,312.71 outstanding, when the April payment gets taken it will be under 5 figures!!!

Two accounts are now completely paid off, one more will get paid off after two more payments which will leave just 3 outstanding.

Halifax credit card - the one with by far the most on, the MBNA credit card (Link Financial) and one loan to Barclays!

Can't believe how far we've come with this, had loads of ups and downs along the way but two years to go!!

Downside is the car is dying...... :(
  • Walaboobah
    Walaboobah Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Debt now stands at £9,848.71, have paid off nearly £20k in 3½ years, still struggling but getting there
  • MoneyMission2015
    Options
    Hi Walaboobah

I have just read your diary and just want to say you've done great, especially considering how hard it got for you! A lot of people would have just given up at that point and ended up back here in even more debt, but you stuck at it and battled on.

Well done to you and good luck with the continuing journey. I've subscribed :)
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    Been a while since I updated so felt it was time for another

Car is dead :( fortunately my Mam and in-laws chipped in and bought me one or would have had to go down the Company Car route with work which would have had an impact on my salary then due to the benefits in kind tax!

Current debt stands at £2342.45, all owed to Halifax, currently paying £423 a month off that after this year's review. They have started adding interest again unfortunately but it's only around £25 now whereas back in the dark days it was around £200 a month.

This journey is due to end in March 2018. 6 months of payments to go, never thought I'd say that ever! I will have paid off nearly £30k in around five and a half years. If you had told me that 6 years ago, I'd have said you were raving mad!! :)

I do have a credit card but it is a work business credit card that I have to pay off each month so can only be used for work personal expenses like fuel, lunch and meals when I'm away so don't think that counts as it's not in my name!

I will never, ever get into debt again.

Now got to stop DS making the same mistakes as discovered a letter to him this morning from EveryDay Loans!! Will be having serious words with him when he gets home from work!

Will update again soon.....
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    Hi Walaboobah

I have just read your diary and just want to say you've done great, especially considering how hard it got for you! A lot of people would have just given up at that point and ended up back here in even more debt, but you stuck at it and battled on.

Well done to you and good luck with the continuing journey. I've subscribed :)
    Thanks for that, it's been a struggle and got very close to giving up when the other half was "away" but somehow managed to keep b****ering on!!!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,615 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    You will soon be in the £1, 000's :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Yes, next payment should get me there, although Halfiax have refused the new payment offer from StepChange which is a tad annoying with only a few months left and the debt is cleared. I hope they don't stick the account into Default at this late stage as I don't think it is currently!
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    and we are there £1947!!!! :T:T
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just read your thread and it is very inspirational. You have achieved so much and through a lot of adversity too. Just wanted to add my support. The finishing line is in sight and you deserve it. All the best from this old insomniac.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,615 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Walaboobah wrote: »
    and we are there £1947!!!! :T:T

:j :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure